Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Charvel thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 150
    Didn't realise we had a Charvel appreciation thread! Looks like it hasn't been used for a while which is a pity. Here's my 1986 Model 4 - bought secondhand in 1993. Through-neck, Kahler trem (don't use this any more, but I like the feel of the bridge), OBL in the bridge position and stock Jackson neck pickup. No idea what wood it's made from. The first decent guitar I owned and still the best guitar I've ever played.

Would love to see more Charvels or Jacksons on here if you have one!

My trading feedback thread
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    My Charvels have ben somewhat molested and modified , but I love them

Old model 2 neck - mine since 1987 - very, very modified (new body etc)

Model 2 neck (refretted) on an Ibanez S440 body- pickups by Oil City

Charvel Fusion - Full paintwork and logo makeover - didn't like the toothpaste logo and put my old JT6 with block upgrade on : Went Full Def Leppard on this one 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Leisceoir said:
    Didn't realise we had a Charvel appreciation thread! Looks like it hasn't been used for a while which is a pity. Here's my 1986 Model 4 - bought secondhand in 1993. Through-neck, Kahler trem (don't use this any more, but I like the feel of the bridge), OBL in the bridge position and stock Jackson neck pickup. No idea what wood it's made from. The first decent guitar I owned and still the best guitar I've ever played.

Would love to see more Charvels or Jacksons on here if you have one!

Wow - it's actually an old model 5

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm definitely happy to play in this thread! I love Charvel, although I've only owned a couple and only got one now. Pro Mod So Cal style 2, refinished by Sims London:

And Jackson is my favourite brand I reckon... I've had loads. Only got the one at the moment, it's an SL3X Soloist, Indonesian. Added a push-in arm which in my opinion radically improves the feel of the trem, and swapped the neck pickup for a beast from Oil City. It's my #1 guitar:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

My 2013 Jap San Dimas. Bought it new and it's been my favourite guitar for years, along with my Les Paul, however I've recently gone to the other extreme and bought a couple of Gretsch's so I've not picked the Charvel up for a while. Still a wonderful thing though, they really are as good as their reputation suggests.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 150

Wow - it's actually an old model 5

Ah, you're right! I bought it secondhand and the guy int he shop said "model 4" and I never questioned it. Did a bit a Googling after you mentioned that and found an interesting website about the Model series...

My trading feedback thread
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited August 2022
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm definitely happy to play in this thread! I love Charvel, although I've only owned a couple and only got one now. Pro Mod So Cal style 2, refinished by Sims London:

And Jackson is my favourite brand I reckon... I've had loads. Only got the one at the moment, it's an SL3X Soloist, Indonesian. Added a push-in arm which in my opinion radically improves the feel of the trem, and swapped the neck pickup for a beast from Oil City. It's my #1 guitar:

Which push-in arm did you go for? Looking at them for my DK2, as you say they feel so much better.

Which push-in arm did you go for? Looking at them for my DK2, as you say they feel so much better.
    It’s a Floyd Rose one, which I got from @FelineGuitars - I think they’re a universal fit. Jon will certainly be able to advise you, but I *think* that the one I have will fit your DK2…
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• shobet said:
    A model 5a and a model 6 from way back when.

Yeah I know, it's pink...
    That pink (burgundy mist ) one has got to be the most awesome ever, is the trem a floyd or a kahler 
  • My green meanie 

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Here my model 4 from 1984 (I think). Bought new from a shop somewhere in London - this was from the first batch of imports and featured in a guitar mag long defunct,,,

All original except replaced pots that gave up the ghost. Kahler trem that doesnt quite intonate perfectly and a mid boost active circuit. Could do with a clean but still ideal for learning Satch tunes on.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52306713809_734077eebb_b.jpg
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52306660018_f2715f86b0_b.jpg
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52306197421_a4e58d7f19_b.jpg
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52306713699_2c043eba3e_b.jpg
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    edited August 2022
    Model 5A

Model 4

httpwwwmobygraphicscoukMusicimages3jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn I forgot how hot this guitar looks dindude said:

• For some reason I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my MIJ San Dimas:

https://imgur.com/a/44VxUCJ

Sometimes it’s my main guitar and the best thing since sliced bread, the next I think it’s too showy and modern 

(might be the reason while it’s for sale in the classified) 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/232885/fs-mij-charvel-pro-mod-san-dimas#latest
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited August 2022
    I’ve had a few over the years. All great guitars in their own unique ways and all sounded different.

Pics:

• I don't think you lot could cope with seeing mine tbh.... suffice to say they aren't stock..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I don't think you lot could cope with seeing mine tbh.... suffice to say they aren't stock..

Oh yes we could! Let's not forget that Charvel was really born out of customising Fenders.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited August 2022

1) Used to be a blue model 4M, now pink with Ibanez S series blade switch and pyramid decals. JT6 floyd, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, J100 middle, Dimarzio Air Norton Rail neck.

2) Used to be a black model 3, now a Purple multicolour swirl with custom neck with pyramid inlays. Gotoh floyd, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, J100 middle, Dimarzio Air Norton Rail neck (not pictured).

3) San Dimas chlorine burst, all stock bar the chrome pickup surrounds.

4) Used to be a black model 1A, now a PAW swirl. Gotoh floyd added, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, J100 middle, Dimarzio Air Norton neck. Will have pyramid decals soon most likely.

5) Used to be blue model 3A, now a blue/orange oil slick hydrodip finish, with a model 4M neck (Pyramid decals being added, pickup being repaired). JT6 floyd, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, Dimarzio Air Norton Rail neck.

Over the years I've had countless of these model series guitars, bought and sold more than I can remember.. I adore the necks, yes the heel access is not the best but everything else is simply great..  They (along with the Ibanez RGs) are the ultimate "meccano" guitars... Don't need any more now, I'd just bastardize one of these if I get bored.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1) Used to be a blue model 4M, now pink with Ibanez S series blade switch and pyramid decals. JT6 floyd, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, J100 middle, Dimarzio Air Norton Rail neck.

2) Used to be a black model 3, now a Purple multicolour swirl with custom neck with pyramid inlays. Gotoh floyd, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, J100 middle, Dimarzio Air Norton Rail neck (not pictured).

3) San Dimas chlorine burst, all stock bar the chrome pickup surrounds.

4) Used to be a black model 1A, now a PAW swirl. Gotoh floyd added, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, J100 middle, Dimarzio Air Norton neck. Will have pyramid decals soon most likely.

5) Used to be blue model 3A, now a blue/orange oil slick hydrodip finish, with a model 4M neck (Pyramid decals being added, pickup being repaired). JT6 floyd, Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, Dimarzio Air Norton Rail neck.

Over the years I've had countless of these model series guitars, bought and sold more than I can remember.. I adore the necks, yes the heel access is not the best but everything else is simply great..  They (along with the Ibanez RGs) are the ultimate "meccano" guitars... Don't need any more now, I'd just bastardize one of these if I get bored.

If ever a post screamed 'where are the photos' it's this one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom