Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp recommendations ~ something for shimmering Fender type cleans

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Kebabkid said:
    Indeed @ChrisMusic and the forum is helpful. However, even with me and others talking from experience of a product, if you can try before you buy, your ears will tell you if it's right for you.
    Do you have any shops near to you that stock any of the stuff mentioned? Guitar Guitar stock the 5F6 pedal and I think they have a 7 day returns policy (check that).
    All the best and keep us posted on your progress and what you settle on :)
    It is a bit of a hike to the nearest decent guitar shop, and I was never that relaxed auditioning equipment in that environment.  But you are right about "try before you buy".  This whole discussion and the knowledge I am gaining from it is helping form an understanding, and will help me target my attention on some carefully selected options before making my final decisions.

You are right, the final choices are down to personal preference.  I used to have implicit trust in my ears, that trust is another thing that needs to be regained.  I do appreciate the help I am getting with the options available.  It is a real strength of the community here.

It would be wonderful to have sufficient time and finances to get everything in an acoustically appropriate area and just A/B my way through the permutations.  However I do need to be a little more pragmatic.  I am loving the learning though.

I will certainly keep you all posted as the journey continues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Any more ideas or opinions about suitable amps ?

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Any more ideas or opinions about suitable amps ?
    You could just take out the guesswork and buy a shimmering, clean Fender amp.
    :)

http://i57.tinypic.com/r8gpco.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I've kind of tried not to comment here but....  If you want shimmery clean Fender tones there really is only one place to look.  Sure you can spend a heap more and go 'boutique', but of course you are paying for the build and materials.

It is the age old discussion.  If you want Strat sound and feel, get a Fender Strat. If you want Gibson Les Paul sound and feel etc, etc. You can always buy 'improved' versions, but they are never the same.

I had a Blackface '65 DRRi and it sounded lovely but I found it a bit limiting. Now I have one of the '68 Custom amps with a subtle redesign to both channels it has everything I'm looking for.  Go try one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723

Why settle for one Fender tone? - How about a Fender amp that can give you all the Fender shimmering cleans and other Fender tones you might ever need (plus some non-Fender stuff too), in one package?  Plus great effects, authentic Fender reverbs, and things like sag control. The Fender Mustang III v2 - 1x12, 100w, can be used quiet as a mouse at home, or with headphones, or cranked up for stage (the cheaper Mustang II v2 is also a 1x12 but less models/functionality). Has a tuner, is footswitchable (foot pedals extra) plus comes with recording software, you can save 100 patches in the amp and deep edit on line.

Too hung up on valves, are anti-modelling and not convinced?  Have a listen here to the various blind tests comparing a Mustang to the real thing - can you tell which is the Mustang? - you'll see that most people couldn't!.  And even the guys doing the vids got so close on some of these that they couldn't tell the difference unless they were looking at the amps!

Blind Test - Fender '68 Custom Deluxe vs Fender Mustang III

Fender Eric Clapton Tremolux vs Fender Mustang III Blind Test

Blind Test - Fender Mustang IV vs Fender Super Reverb (the IV is a 2x12 Mustang)

Fender '57 Bandmaster vs Fender Mustang IV Blind Test

Fender Mustang IV vs Fender EC Twinolux Blind Test

And for a demo of the amp overall, see Damon from Fender's vid here (this is the v1, but the new v2 has extra amp models and features):

Rich

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Sorry, I can easily tell the difference in feel and response between a Mustang and a Deluxe Reverb when I'm playing through them.

It's not snobbery, I gig with a modeller more often than not.
  • I watched the first video. The modelled amp sounds good for a cheap one

A pretty pointless video though - there was a massive difference in the EQ and OD on the patches, so much in fact, that you could not use that patch in the same mix as the valve amp. It was very easy to guess which was a valve amp.

| have the 2 best modelling amps, and whilst the sound is close, neither is as rewarding as a top-level amp played directly in the room. Budget modelling amps are very impressive for the money, but I doubt would convince many who already have experience of a favourite valve amp

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014

I watched the first video. The modelled amp sounds good for a cheap one

A pretty pointless video though - there was a massive difference in the EQ and OD on the patches, so much in fact, that you could not use that patch in the same mix as the valve amp. It was very easy to guess which was a valve amp.

| have the 2 best modelling amps, and whilst the sound is close, neither is as rewarding as a top-level amp played directly in the room. Budget modelling amps are very impressive for the money, but I doubt would convince many who already have experience of a favourite valve amp

What's odd is that the first one was quite easy.  The EC Twinolux, though, I actually preferred the sound of the modelled amp and guessed that would be the Twinolux.  The other was too bassy.  

The answer: Mic placement.  He reckons that, in the room, they were identical. 

So, while there is nothing going for feel, it is fair to say that they sound similar enough that it's harder to justify the massive extra cost.  

Wow, in this one I also preferred the Mustang! More bass, but better tone.  

Edit: this also doesn't cover how they take pedals.  So it's not just a feel thing.  
  • I only watched the first one

btw In the long run, modellers will be the only way to go. Quite possibly already the best route at the budget end of the market

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited September 2014

| have the 2 best modelling amps, and whilst the sound is close, neither is as rewarding as a top-level amp played directly in the room. Budget modelling amps are very impressive for the money, but I doubt would convince many who already have experience of a favourite valve amp

---------------------------------------------------------

I hear you. But the problem with choosing a great tube amp like a Fender Blackface/Silver Face twin reverb (& I had both) is that they are one trick ponies.  Great (obviously) at what they're renowned for but they can't do much else.

Another thought - what about a good MFX/modeller but through a valve amp to try & give you the best from both worlds?  My Vox Tonelab LE is only an old unit and not up there with the latest modellers, but played through my Laney VC30-210 + 1x12 cab, I can get some great tones from it but with that real valve feel.  Perhaps a new modeller with a good valve amp might be a good way to go?

Out of interest, what are the two best modelling amps you're referring to?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:

| have the 2 best modelling amps, and whilst the sound is close, neither is as rewarding as a top-level amp played directly in the room. Budget modelling amps are very impressive for the money, but I doubt would convince many who already have experience of a favourite valve amp

---------------------------------------------------------

I hear you. But the problem with choosing a great tube amp like a Fender Blackface/Silver Face twin reverb (& I had both) is that they are one trick ponies.  Great (obviously) at what they're renowned for but they can't do much else.

Another thought - what about a good MFX/modeller but through a valve amp to try & give you the best from both worlds?  My Vox Tonelab LE is only an old unit and not up there with the latest modellers, but played through my Laney VC30-210 + 1x12 cab, I can get some great tones from it but with that real valve feel.  Perhaps a new modeller with a good valve amp might be a good way to go?

Out of interest, what are the two best modelling amps you're referring to?

yes, the best amps tend to be good one trick ponies
    The Ceriatone BM HRM dumble clone can do a few more tricks

the best modelling amps are normally used into full-range PAs, or into a power amp and a cab, rather than into the preamp of an amp
    I think some modelling pedals are intended to sit in front of a preamp, tbh I can get most sounds I need from analogue pedals in front of my BM50

The best modellers i believe are the AxeFx2 and Kemper. Both better value for bang-for-buck than any valve amps really. Not cheap though.