Rick Beato [YouTube] - TOP 40 GREATEST SOUNDING ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27313
    TLDW; Does anyone have the list? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Link works for me. Don’t have a list but there’s very little surprising about the list. Watched it last night. Think Gino Vannelli was something I didn’t know but the rest is quite - predictable? 
  • Superunkown has to be in there, he loves that album. Will see if it is now....
  • Superunkown has to be in there, he loves that album. Will see if it is now....
    Yep it's there....incredible sounding album
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 996
    @stickyfiddle Your question has been answered ^
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Any half decent hi-fi system will make great sounding albums sound wonderful. The question is: who wants to listen to great sounding albums all the time. A lot of my favourite albums are of poor to mediocre sound quality, yet the music on such albums shines through on a hi-fi system. 

Lists like the RB one have been part and parcel of radio stations for years. Does the world want another one?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • @duotone ta! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited February 2023
    Most of my favorite songs/albums, by these criteria, would be categorised as cheaply-recorded detritus, of purely historical interest.  One man's opinion, just a list, etc... I get it, but really?  I've compiled a fair few lists myself, and I would always 100% avoid subjective, poorly-defined filters like "great sounding".  

Don't really get the whole Beato phenomenon, but this one goes way beyond "not-for-me" and into "why?" territory.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10907
    Wot no Nevermind

@DarnWeight it is okay to evaluate a recording on its sonics, especially if you are interested in music production. There are lots of ways to listen to and appreciate music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7820
    edited February 2023
    I would agree that most of those albums do sound awesome from an engineering perspective And due to excellent production & mixing ie the Sarah Mclahlan album.

It's a nice mix of both sets of qualities as strictly speaking most audiophile albums are acoustic, classical or jazz recordings. ie Al Schmidt recording Diana Krall, ECM label jazz, Alison Krauss's Paper Airplanes etc, Ry Cooder & vm bhatt, Sarah Jarosz 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Engineered_Album,_Classical

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Engineered_Album,_Non-Classical

Modern Life is Rubbish would be in mine. Extraordinary and overlooked compared to Blur's other albums imo

Yellowman - Mister Yellowman is another of mine, pure magic

Sketches of Spain - Miles Davis

Maybe Back to Black by Amy Winehouse, a curious mix of old and new production techniques

Raindogs by Tom Waits is known as an audiophile test disc. I would probably pick another Tom Waits album but I'd have to go back and listen to them again
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 996
    roberty said:
    Modern Life is Rubbish would be in mine. Extraordinary and overlooked compared to Blur's other albums imo

Maybe Back to Black by Amy Winehouse, a curious mix of old and new production techniques

Raindogs by Tom Waits is known as an audiophile test disc. I would probably pick another Tom Waits album but I'd have to go back and listen to them again
    I've got it on cassette in a cupboard somewhere. My favourite track from that album was always Chemical World 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    Wot no Nevermind

@DarnWeight it is okay to evaluate a recording on its sonics, especially if you are interested in music production. There are lots of ways to listen to and appreciate music
    Yeah, but I think in this case, "well produced" might be a better description than "great sounding".  Something can be great sounding without being well produced, which is what I was really getting at.

And yes, despite that, I do agree that we can appreciate music from different perspectives.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23233
    A lot of records on there I'm not familiar with.  Interesting that he's included something like the Stones' Let It Bleed which probably sounded great at the time but I'd imagine it sounds a bit weedy and dated by modern standards?

To be honest I very rarely listen to music on a "good" system, so I'm not particularly conscious of how great the sound/recording may be.  Of course some sound noticeably good and others noticeably poor, but it's not my priority.
  • Not seen the vid but two that stick in my mind are Ziggy Stardust and the self titled Stone Roses Album. There's just something in the production that sets them apart.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23233
    edited February 2023
    It's the opposite of the albums he's talking about, but I can think of at least one which sounded so bad I could never get into it, even though I was very keen to buy it a the time - the Blue Murder album with John Sykes, Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin.

The songs are not brilliant, to be honest, but the whole thing just sounds so flat.  They've mentioned it a couple of times on the Sea of Tranquility YouTube channel and described it well - it's not that the vocals are buried in the mix, or the guitars are too loud... somehow none of the instruments or voices stand out and the entire mix is murky and weak.  I don't know how they managed that.
  • @duotone ta! 
    You're welcome  :)
    roberty said:
    Wot no Nevermind

Yeah, but I think in this case, "well produced" might be a better description than "great sounding".  Something can be great sounding without being well produced, which is what I was really getting at.
    Ah okay. The "great" thing is just a catchy tagline. I can accept a level of clickbaiting on YouTube, the creators are essentially freelancers at the mercy of an opaque algorithm 
    edited February 2023
    duotone said:
    roberty said:

I've got it on cassette in a cupboard somewhere. My favourite track from that album was always Chemical World 
    Either that or Oily Water for me. Such a sophisticated album, especially compared to their first, and more sober than the two that followed (quite literally, I imagine)