Guitar kits/Guitar Fabric Rickenbacker 12 string build thread

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    I'm not generally worried about kit details but confess that I find the idea of a 50mm odd tenon a bit close for a 12-string - I'd certainly not tune it to concert but then I'm very old school like that - my Red Label Yamaha 12 is 50+ years old and I've never tuned it to concert. I do have a hot sh*t G7 capo though!

Maybe have Prowla's suggestion ready.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3869
    Flip said:
    I'm not generally worried about kit details but confess that I find the idea of a 50mm odd tenon a bit close for a 12-string - I'd certainly not tune it to concert but then I'm very old school like that - my Red Label Yamaha 12 is 50+ years old and I've never tuned it to concert. I do have a hot sh*t G7 capo though!

Maybe have Prowla's suggestion ready.
    @Flip it’ll mostly be in DADGAD or even CGCFGC. I’ve got a G7 12 string capo should I need to be in a specific key. 
    It’s starting to look like a guitar 

Well what’s the point in having the house to myself if I can’t build a guitar on the kitchen table :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    One quick question, have you remembered to put the earthing cable into the bridge support hole before inserting it?
    Flip said:
    One quick question, have you remembered to put the earthing cable into the bridge support hole before inserting it?
    What Earth cable?

:)

Yes, but thanks for the thought. It’s actually that white but in the switch cavity disappearing into the bridge pick-up cavity. 

I even thought to check for continuity with the bridge support!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Headstock reshaped

@prowla. I trust this is acceptable? :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4983
    drofluf said:
    Headstock reshaped

@prowla. I trust this is acceptable? :)

The top corner just needs rounding a bit more... :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7611
    It's amazing how even a small portion sawn off the headstock in a thoughtful way can make such a visual difference.  I think that has improved the overall appearance quite markedly.
    BillDL said:
    It's amazing how even a small portion sawn off the headstock in a thoughtful way can make such a visual difference.  I think that has improved the overall appearance quite markedly.
    Thanks!
    BillDL said:
    I agree but then I remember how Martin has perhaps the most uncreative headstock shape in the world and it doesn't seem to have done them much harm!

The wood stain finally arrived and first coat is on

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Staining complete and I’ve started oiling. Not exactly how id hoped it would turn out - I should have heeded the warnings on other threads :( but it’s got a well used look to it that I can live with. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16894
    if you can live with it I think it has an interesting worn vibe to it.  nothing to stop you getting it together now and refinishing further down the line if it starts to bug you
    edited March 2023
    WezV said:
    if you can live with it I think it has an interesting worn vibe to it.  nothing to stop you getting it together now and refinishing further down the line if it starts to bug you
    Thanks - funnily enough when I was walking the dog at lunchtime I was drafting the "How do I paint over an oiled finish" post in my head

Is it even possible?
    Started to fit the hardware 

edited May 2023
    Well good and bad news. 

The good it’s finished and sounds good:

The bad; the neck angle is such that action at the 12th fret is about 7mm!  I took it round to a local tech and the plan is to route out a “pocket” to lower the bridge so that it’s playable. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom