Another headless guitar build

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3082
    Already done, very worthwhile mod
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8788
    Time for an update. The guitar hasn’t had much playing time because I’ve not been particularly happy with the way it plays and sounds. This week I’ve changed the neck profile to make it thinner, and also dealt with a case of fret sprout. Apart from the Holly fretboard, and the Nova bridge, the materials and construction are the same as previous guitars. There may be some benefit to be gained from changing the tone circuit, but I think the main problem is the bridge. It’s nicely engineered, but very fiddly to set up. It’s likely that the tiny saddles, held in place by minute grub screws, are losing the mid and low range frequencies. This might be desirable for heavily overdriven guitar sounds, where you want to emphasise note definition. It’s not working for my mostly clean playing.

This calls for a design re-think. Maybe change to humbuckers. Swapping the bridge isn’t going to work because there’s not enough space for a Hipshot bridge.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Roland said:
    This calls for a design re-think. Maybe change to humbuckers. Swapping the bridge isn’t going to work because there’s not enough space for a Hipshot bridge.
    What's your space limitation for the bridge? im guessing the hipshot/clone is to long in its base ?

if so there is a hipshot a like bridge on Ali that's a little shorter at about 60mm for the plate/base.

I doubt it's the same qualitiy as the Nova unit but it's about 65 quid delivered

• RolandRoland Frets: 8788
    Thanks @Gizmo. The Hipshot would project slightly further than the Nova, although it’s not inconveniently long. That AliExpress tuner looks nice. However the rear fixing holes fall outside of the body silhouette. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.