John Lennon's Missing Framus 12 String - Help required to raise nearly $3 million - Sold

What's Hot

Comments

• StuobStuob Frets: 36
    Exactly. How did it go from a Beatles guitar to somebodies attic worth nothing and back to a Beatles guitar?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12442
    The Auctioneers description probably reads "The action is a little high but sounds great for slide" Guitarist code for "piece of shit"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1014
    2000 for the Framus. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1921
    I suspect that the people who 'discovered' it knew Lennon or his family and it was given to them as a favour or for a gig and he wasn't arsed about taking it back later. It's not as if he was short of guitars was it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10839
    tFB Trader
    The Auctioneers description probably reads "The action is a little high but sounds great for slide" Guitarist code for "piece of shit"
    That's sort of what I'd expect for a twelve string that's around the same age as me - I doubt it would have been stored with the strings slackened, so it's probably collapsed inwards to some degree. It's not as if anyone's going to buy it to play is it?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 947
    Stuob said:
    Exactly. How did it go from a Beatles guitar to somebodies attic worth nothing and back to a Beatles guitar?  
    If you read the article it tells you
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14496
    tFB Trader
    It sold for 2,857,000 dollars
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23300
    That's mental.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19150
    Philly_Q said:
    That's mental.
    I know, an utter bargain.
    I missed the bidding as I had dentist's appointment, but would have gone to 3 million, no problem.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1710
    As I was there at the time i always though Framus were shit.Enlighten me .
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 756
    edited May 29
    rossi said:
    The Beatles were quite big back in the day apparently. 
    tFB Trader
    rossi said:
    No need to enlighten you - You got it right - It might be a forgotten and important piece of Beatles history but I'm sure it will be a dog to play based on many other Framus Guitars I've seen and handled over the years - If you've played a Hofner F hole arch top box then you'll have an idea as what these old European Guitars are like - Nostalgia is often their best asset 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27785
    When's the NGD thread?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kind of illustrates that it's not about the quality of the tools you use, it's how you use them.
    The sound of it obviously had an appeal to The Beatles and I don't recall anyone previously complaining about the acoustic guitar tone on the songs it was used on  ;)
    tFB Trader
    AlbertC said:
    Kind of illustrates that it's not about the quality of the tools you use, it's how you use them.
    The sound of it obviously had an appeal to The Beatles and I don't recall anyone previously complaining about the acoustic guitar tone on the songs it was used on  ;)
    That is true and obviously both musicians and producers had access to far less 'quality' back then compared with today - As such they learned to 'master their craft' - You have to remember Sgt Peppers was produced on a far less sophisticated range of equipment than many can utilise today in their 'man cave' 

But in many cases, John's skill was in writing the song and not about trying to be a 'master guitarist' 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1710
    AlbertC said:
    Not sure the moan was about the sound .I had Hofners .,Club 60 and V3 ,and they sounded great but they were clunky to play .As soon as anyone got enough dough together they went  up to American guitars like Fender and Gibson,Gretsch and  Rickenbacker .

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1330
    edited May 30
    I still cannot see the grain evidence to say it was the " one" how have the auction house blagged it as the " one"???
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3690
    mark123 said:
    I still cannot see the grain evidence to say it was the " one" how have the auction house blagged it as the " one"???
    If people believe that it's John Lennon's guitar then it's worth $3m, if they don't then it is only good for firewood - such is the human condition.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1377
    AlbertC said:
    ...as illustrated in the Get Back documentary where 4 loveable scamps from Liverpool roll in, pick up whatever of the handful of instruments was at hand on the soundstage or in the studio and proceed to craft timeless pop classics still being listened to today.

God - weren't the 60s great?!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    mark123 said:
    What kind of smoking gun evidence are you expecting to see?
    A renowned auction house is not going to sell something as high profile as this without looking into the back story and provenance of how it came to be with the seller.