Robin George

What's Hot
HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 547
Sad to read that Robin has died. Probably a little known figure but he was heavily promoted as 'the next big thing' in the rock world in around 1984/5.  His single Heartline received lots of radio airplay at the time but it never quite broke through. A fine piece of pop/rock with a great to the point solo. I have strong recollections of hearing it extensively on Tommy Vance and Alan Freeman. He subsequently worked with many bands as a guitarist, producer and engineer. RIP Robin.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 255
    The first 'Kerrang Video Kompilation' VHS had 'Heartline' on it. Sad news indeed. RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2431
    Oh no, damn, Saw him a couple of times live back in the day. RIP.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23458
    Oh god, that's sad news.  Only 68.  I remember very well how heavily promoted he was for that brief time, a handsome dude with a BC Rich.  I'm sure I've got the Heartline single and I think I bought his album, Dangerous Music.

The article in Guitar World mentions a number of famous names he worked with, but doesn't mention one album I definitely have got, On The Rocks by The Byron Band, with George on guitar, songwriting and production.  1981, so before his solo career.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/veteran-guitarist-robin-george-dies-at-68

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 547

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16309
    Oh I had completely missed this. Yes, the next big thing that never was I guess. I saw him at JBs in Dudley in that period, I’d guess 1984, quite a small venue. Pretty sure he had a BC Rich, not many of those in Dudley then (or now really). 
    Sad news, RIP Robin. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11659
    tFB Trader
    I was something of a fan and in later years had him as a Facebook friend .
    Saw him on the tour for Dangerous Music in 1985 and later at a small club in Croydon called The Underground
    Had the chance to chat with him about his guitars - he was playing the mockingbird more by that time, and explained the importance of having the guitars set up and the difference it made (not lost to me at the time or later ) 
    I have friends who saw him when he briefly worked in Magnum for a tour as second guitar and he was Phil Lynott's last collaborator before Phil passed.

Vocally he had something of a Marc Bolan tone to his voice (I felt it kind of fitted with the elfin stance he had at the time)

Think the BC 10 string Rich Bich he had had originally been given to Noddy Holder, but wasn't Noddy's kind of thing, so he sold it to Pete Haycock of Climax Blues Band , and Robin got it from Pete.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 998
    Oh I had completely missed this. Yes, the next big thing that never was I guess. I saw him at JBs in Dudley in that period, I’d guess 1984, quite a small venue. Pretty sure he had a BC Rich, not many of those in Dudley then (or now really). 
    Sad news, RIP Robin. 

Ahem , well i had the other 2 mocking birds lof and my band mate rich had the another one and andy heart ( target , effigy ) had another but apart from that  ;) i knew him a bit and huey lucas was his other guitar player ( much better player )  and and his real name was sidebottom ....