ToneX One - new release. Mini pedal with Amp Captures, Verb, IR loading etc - £140?

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    thomann has no import fees.  Mine is apparently on its way..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 153
    thomasw88 said:

Okay, so they’re currently in stock on Thomann. I just caved in and ordered one.

I’m currently running two full size ToneX’s as a stereo rig (with midi control and a TC Plethora etc). I don’t really need one of these, but then… how often do we buy pedals we really need?  :)

I’m curious to try it running pedal captures on smaller gigs (either into a venue amp or my Dream 65). There used to be a site called SultansOfStomp that sold captures of pedals, but they’ve closed now. Does anyone know where the best place to buy pedal captures for ToneX is?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1210
    thomasw88 said:

Okay, so they’re currently in stock on Thomann. I just caved in and ordered one.

I’m currently running two full size ToneX’s as a stereo rig (with midi control and a TC Plethora etc). I don’t really need one of these, but then… how often do we buy pedals we really need?  :)

I’m curious to try it running pedal captures on smaller gigs (either into a venue amp or my Dream 65). There used to be a site called SultansOfStomp that sold captures of pedals, but they’ve closed now. Does anyone know where the best place to buy pedal captures for ToneX is?
    Don't know about the best but Amalgam's amp captures are rated very highly and they do have a set of pedal-only captures for sale:

https://www.amalgamcaptures.com/product-page/pedal-set-i-txdi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • onlyatomonlyatom Frets: 34
    Mine arrived this morning, I've only had a quick jam through headphones but WOW, this has blown me away. Much easier to dial in quick great tones than my Helix, and having compression and reverb built-in is huge for me.

Going to have to dig deep in to some more captures, but really impressed so far.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22365
    A very simple question because I am too lazy to google: 

Could Tonex One be used as a preamp only? 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    Music Street have some if people are looking.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24707
    What’s the compressor like?

Will it do a proper zero dynamics squash without any dip and swell even with mad hot pickups? 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26917
    A very simple question because I am too lazy to google: 

Could Tonex One be used as a preamp only? 
    Yes - well, I guess it depends on whether you're asking "will it sound like a preamp?" or "will it put out the same signal level as a preamp?". If you've got a profile of (say) an ADA MP-1, it will sound like an ADA MP-1 preamp. I'm not sure if it'll do line-level outputs, though.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If it acts as a preamp with instrument level output, then I can add that the list of possibilities. 

If it acts as a preamp with instrument level output, then I can add that the list of possibilities. 

Well, I can answer that - yes, it does. In fact, that's the exact reason I'll be getting one...the ADA MP-1 profiles on ToneNet are excellent, and to be able to do that without a rack and all the MIDI gubbins basically solves the #1 problem I've had with every rig I've ever owned.
    <space for hire>
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1158

Well, I can answer that - yes, it does. In fact, that's the exact reason I'll be getting one...the ADA MP-1 profiles on ToneNet are excellent, and to be able to do that without a rack and all the MIDI gubbins basically solves the #1 problem I've had with every rig I've ever owned.
    Leon Todd’s ADA MP-1 capture is superb and free on ToneNet.

https://youtu.be/--YLUAKQGKo?si=0ul5lNipLBUs06Nm

Leon Todd’s ADA MP-1 capture is superb and free on ToneNet.

https://youtu.be/--YLUAKQGKo?si=0ul5lNipLBUs06Nm
    Good shout, cheers!
    <space for hire>

I use two full size ToneX’s as a stereo rig on a midi board and for 80’s shows I’m using preamp captures on a bunch of tunes. The BigHairyGuitars captures on ToneNet are great for that - most of the popular 80’s rack preamps.

SultansOfStomp had some API preamp captures for sale, but they’ve shut shop now.
    edited May 19
    That's decidedly cool then. Right now I'm playing around with a Simplifier Mk 1 and a Diamond compressor going onto an HX Stomp XL. If I could get what those two do together into one Tonex One pedal and use the Tonex as a clean platform going into HX effects and dual cabs... that's a decidedly great and small platform that I could shrink even further with an HX Stomp. Time to go to the gym and ponder this over a 10km run... 

I'm thinking JC-120, solid state cleans. Shit, if someone had done captures of those old Music Man amps, that would be great. Headroom city is where I'm headed. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9932
    I think if you want to do your own captures (for example with your comp plus simplifier) them you need specific kit, namely an audio that can do reamping I believe. Do you get the Tonex software that enables this to be done with this pedal as well?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    That's decidedly cool then. Right now I'm playing around with a Simplifier Mk 1 and a Diamond compressor going onto an HX Stomp XL. If I could get what those two do together into one Tonex One pedal and use the Tonex as a clean platform going into HX effects and dual cabs... that's a decidedly great and small platform that I could shrink even further with an HX Stomp. Time to go to the gym and ponder this over a 10km run... 

I'm thinking JC-120, solid state cleans. Shit, if someone had done captures of those old Music Man amps, that would be great. Headroom city is where I'm headed. 

Can’t remember if I used it in the end or not, but there were a couple of MusicMan captures on Tone.net (which is where you download either free or paid third party captures). Edge Of Seventeen was in a set I did recently, so I read up on that signal chain and it was a MusicMan amp.

Btw the Amalgam Audio captures are great (there’s a Deluxe reverb on there and his Marshall Super Lead is killer). Also worth checking out the IK Multimedia Dumble set (which is a paid upgrade - captures of 5 different Dumble amps owned by Joe Bonamassa). The official Mesa Boogie pack is very good too for everything from Greenday and Metallica to Santana, The Stones and Lukather.

I haven’t tried doing any of my own captures. Have got a ToneX One arriving tomorrow, will try it for overdrive pedal captures and maybe as a backup amp.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 930
    Been fiddling with mine (so to speak) this evening and it’s gone from ‘not impressed’ to ‘deeply impressed’ - haven’t found it intuitive at all and unless I’m being very dumb indeed, I think the Tonex app sucks.

BUT I’m starting to get the hang of it - top tip; ignore entirely what the input leds say and go with your ears. My unit swears blind I’m not feeding it enough signal but when I do everything sounds squashed and too gainy.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4023
    Ok, I’ve just ordered one!

There’s 3 left at A Strings, £179 posted.

https://astrings.co.uk/products/ik-multimedia-amplitube-tonex-one?_pos=1&_sid=bd5848859&_ss=r
    Ok, I’ve just ordered one!

There’s 3 left at A Strings, £179 posted.

https://astrings.co.uk/products/ik-multimedia-amplitube-tonex-one?_pos=1&_sid=bd5848859&_ss=r
    Ah, what the hell. Ordered :)
    <space for hire>
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5302
    Could I just plug my guitar into this pedal , plug my headphones into it and have a late night practice set up?