Sweet Child of really annoying....

What's Hot
Is it just me or does anyone else find the intro to Sweet Child O Mine really frustrating to play?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
«1

Comments

  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1613
    The whole song.

    To listen to.

    Yes.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 426
    I got sick of it yrs ago, why frustrating though?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 5543
    Lol ftumch and lix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 22722
    Nope, it is a classic and pretty easy.

    "And what would humans be without love?"
    “RARE, said Death.”

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 9103
    Am I the only guitarist who has never tried to learn it?

    From what I remember from Slash's book it was a finger exercise he used to do to warm up which Axel incorporated into a song so it's probably intended to be taxing to play.
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 22722
    Yes it was a warmup lick that they jammed on.
    Izzy had a bit to do with the arrangement I reckon.

    "And what would humans be without love?"
    “RARE, said Death.”

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 720
    The first two bars are fine, the change in bar 3 that really grips my shit and Ive prob got the fingering wrong.. 

    Im only learning it as I have to do for the covers band Im doing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5672
    I'll have a little noodle later and see what my fingering is, I can't remember off the top of my head.

    Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 426
    If I've got this right, on the third bar the first note is 14th fret on the d string and the note your coming from is 14th on the G, is that the bit you mean? I just play the g with a little bit more of the fleshy part of my middle finger and roll onto the d string with the same finger. That's probably a really bad explanation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 147
    edited October 2013
    The easiest way to play the intro is to alternate pick.  If you do that it's relatively easy.  The bit that sounds similar to the intro later on which isn't is a bit of a bitch though.
    You can pick your nose and pick your friends but you can't pick your friends nose
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 13618
    I love that song! I can play the intro and strum the chords but I've never got around to working out the solos. I'm just hopeless with learning stuff, the notes don't stay in my head
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Heard it way too many times for this lifetime.

    Turns out “you’re so beautiful when you’re sleeping” is only considered a compliment if she knows who you are.

    Dulcet Jones Creepy Music Blog    http://dulcetjones.blogspot.com/

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 16020
    Am I the only guitarist who has never tried to learn it?
    Nope.  I've never bothered either.

    Thought about it a couple of times... but never got around to doing anything.

    Now... there's a surprise !
    Trump: A narcissistic luminous orange ball bag and Rome burning in man form.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2338
    I gig it pretty much every week -  the 3rd bar I start with my 2nd finger.   I hadn't really thought about it but just had a go - the note before on the G string at the end of the 2nd bar I play with the pad of my finger and roll over to use the tip of that finger for the E to start the 3rd bar...  easier to play than explain...  

    Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 426
    John_P said:
    I gig it pretty much every week -  the 3rd bar I start with my 2nd finger.   I hadn't really thought about it but just had a go - the note before on the G string at the end of the 2nd bar I play with the pad of my finger and roll over to use the tip of that finger for the E to start the 3rd bar...  easier to play than explain...  

    Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..

    Yep same as me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 22722
    ftumch said:
    John_P said:
    I gig it pretty much every week -  the 3rd bar I start with my 2nd finger.   I hadn't really thought about it but just had a go - the note before on the G string at the end of the 2nd bar I play with the pad of my finger and roll over to use the tip of that finger for the E to start the 3rd bar...  easier to play than explain...  

    Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..

    Yep same as me
    Same here.

    "And what would humans be without love?"
    “RARE, said Death.”

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2943
    John_P said:
    Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..
    +1  When I first played it live I was more than a bit nervous about it cos let's face it, if you stuff it up everyone is going to notice and you will look amateurishly stupid.  There's very little wiggle room on the solos too, everyone knows them note for note.

    However, many playings later... it's easy money cos it's not actually that difficult thereby allowing you to dick around standing on a table with a top hat on your head, holding your guitar up in the air and grinning at the audience like you're very clever... a bit like last night in fact :-)  [/no shame]

    So it's well worth nailing IMO

    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 464
    Lixarto said:
    The whole song.

    To listen to.

    Yes.

    This.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Yeah I had the same issue as you in the beginning, but as the guys said, just keep playing it over and over and it really does become second nature. Only the fast part of the main solo to learn for me now - although I have to confess I kind of got fed up and gave up on it as I found something else to learn, terrible of me I know  :-\"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 40584
    Lixarto said:
    The whole band.

    To listen to.

    Yes.
    Edited for accuracy.

    monquixote said:
    Am I the only guitarist who has never tried to learn it?

    No!

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2943
    TPReggie said:
    Only the fast part of the main solo to learn for me now - although I have to confess I kind of got fed up and gave up on it as I found something else to learn, terrible of me I know  :-\"
    That bit did take a while -- I take you mean those two bars where the wah kicks in.  I experimented with a few different fingerings before I got one I was happy with, but like the rest of the song it's not too hard although it's certainly a bit pacey. 

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2338
    Grunfeld said:
    John_P said:
    Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..
    +1  When I first played it live I was more than a bit nervous about it cos let's face it, if you stuff it up everyone is going to notice and you will look amateurishly stupid.  There's very little wiggle room on the solos too, everyone knows them note for note.

    However, many playings later... it's easy money cos it's not actually that difficult thereby allowing you to dick around standing on a table with a top hat on your head, holding your guitar up in the air and grinning at the audience like you're very clever... a bit like last night in fact :-)  [/no shame]

    So it's well worth nailing IMO
    Mr G -  you sound like the perfect dep for one of my bands - I just hope you're better at balancing on tables than I am ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 147
    I still do get nervous sometimes and, even though it is pretty easy to play, messed up the intro completely on one of my last gigs..... Made up for it on the solos though   :)
    You can pick your nose and pick your friends but you can't pick your friends nose
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 1750
    Sweet Child of Mine, the new Stairway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Got sick of SCoM sometime around 1988.


    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1118
    Grunfeld said:
    John_P said:   Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..
    +1  When I first played it live I was more than a bit nervous about it cos let's face it, if you stuff it up everyone is going to notice and you will look amateurishly stupid.  There's very little wiggle room on the solos too, everyone knows them note for note....

    daveww said:   I still do get nervous sometimes and, even though it is pretty easy to play, messed up the intro completely on one of my last gigs..... Made up for it on the solos though   :)
    You mean like this...



    So what's the worst that can happen?  You'll never do this, and you'll be in good company if you ever did.  Relax & enjoy.



    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 147
    lol - yep just like that...... but I kept me shirt on  ;)
    You can pick your nose and pick your friends but you can't pick your friends nose
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 226

    Its frustrating for sure . .

    Sometimes I nail it most times I fail at it though . . Mind you Im a rhythm player really . . just not a good one :-)

    Now "Plug in Baby" . . . Love it . . !

    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 663
    I cheat and play it at the 10th fret with my pinky playing the high notes at the 15th and 14th fret.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 197
    I worked it out by ear and at first I had difficulties in memorising the sequence of the starting notes on each repetition ( bar). 
    When I nailed it I just played it a few times and made it an "exercise" and after that it came naturally.
    The solos are quite a useful exercise too to work on bend pitch. Both for the ears and hands.




    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.