Renting with pets - a problem

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7404
    edited March 2015
    The thing is that we were told yes, and then when double checking were told yes again. We asked if we could get one because we wanted one, so it's obvious that when told we can get one, we're going to get one. Will that not count for anything? Surely you aren't allowed to give your tenants verbal confirmation of something on 2 occasions and then when they do it say no?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I'm sure the landlady probably just wants to meet the dog to make sure it isn't going to bark all day and night.  In the interim, the estate agent will say a flat 'No'. Estate agents will do anything to get the property let including lying and cheating.  They don't give a fuck.  They may have talked to the landlady, they may not of, but they probably lied when they said pets were OK.  If the landlady refuses on the grounds on redecoration, I think that is unreasonable as seam cleaning and a bit of paint is normal wear and tear I'd say, but if she refuses because the thing barks all the time, that is fair enough.  Is there any way you can talk to the landlady?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Speak to the landlord direct and get the permission in writing. If you don't the chances of being discovered are very high and they can force you to either get rid of the dog or pay a lot of money to get out of the tenancy and move.

technically you've signed a contract stating no pets and if you don't get the permission in writing you'll be in the wrong if you get caught. If she says no then remind her of why you moved to her property and ask to be let out of your lease.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    DefaultM said:
    The thing is that we were told yes, and then when double checking were told yes again. We asked if we could get one because we wanted one, so it's obvious that when told we can get one, we're going to get one. Will that not count for anything? Surely you aren't allowed to give your tenants verbal confirmation of something on 2 occasions and then when they do it say no?

You know what they say: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited March 2015
    Property agent is clearly lying to you. The landlady has told you yes twice now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have her address, so if the manager comes back again and says she's still saying no I will write to her and give my mobile number to have a chat.
    He's clearly shit at his job but I don't see what he would get from lying that she said no rather than just asking?

Though when I call him he'll end the call asap and say ok cool send me an email with that, then the email will go unanswered for weeks, so it's likely he's just forgotten and then made up some lies.

Called on Monday and he asked for an email. He didn't acknowledge til Thursday and said she hadn't answered yet. We said to hurry as next day was the birthday. He replies the next day saying she needed more time but it's an almost definite no because she sounded very against the idea due to having work done.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12473
    So someone's lying here then? TBH I don't understand why you don't just talk to the landlady direct and get the issue resolved one way or another? You'll drive yourself nuts with all this second guessing.
    If it's a definite no, then you have a choice: keep the puppy and take the risk, or get rid of it. ( I know how hard that will be btw, as a dog owner myself).
    If she says yes: result. Then get it in writing or have the contract amended.
    She seems like she has quite a busy job so is keen to have it all done through property management as she doesn't have time herself. As a result I only have her address, and so I will write to her, but not sure if this will be frowned upon?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited March 2015
    DefaultM said:
    but not sure if this will be frowned upon?
    You have my permission to write her a letter. Or go and visit her. Just do it already - with the amount of time and effort you've spent writing posts in this thread, you could probably have gone to her address and hand delivered your letter!

My opinion is that if the landlady said it was fine when you moved in, you should fight your corner as that was a big factor in your moving. The letting company is (surprise surprise) being lazy and I can almost guarantee they haven't actually talked to the landlady. They're just going by the letter of their standard contract which hasn't been amended to reflect the understanding you have with the person who actually owns the house. As a letting company, their whole selling point is they deal with this kind of shit so the owners don't need to be involved in the day-to-day stuff; hence why they've not actually bothered to check before telling you pets aren't ok.

Ultimately, you've got to get the house owner involved. Either she lied to you to get you to move in, or the letting compnay is lying to you because they don't want to disturb the landlay with (as they see it) contractual issues. In either case, you were lied to and you have to stand your ground.

Out there.

In the real world.

So go and sort it!
    :)>-
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26976
    Hang on...given that it's highly unlikely that a dog is going to cause structural damage, isn't normal wear and tear what the deposit's for?

Oh, wait. It means they might actually have to spend the deposit on repairs, instead of keeping it anyway and treating it as profit.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, you're right. Just a bit of a shit time as this was told to us right before their closing time on Friday and they don't open on a weekend, so I got home from work and it was a bit like "wait, what?" and then there was no one there to answer any questions.
    So now I've got £450 down on a dog I can't bring in the house and a child wondering where his Birthday present is.

Completely my fault for not asking for it in writing, but when you've got someone standing in front of you smiling saying yeah you go buy one then most people would expect that once you'd done it they wouldn't go "Woah a dog? I don't know about that".
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited March 2015
    Having seen it from both sides, and having had numerous dealings with them, the one thing I can positively and absolutely confirm is that letting agents are a total bunch of bell-end cockbadgers, and should not be trusted to do anything correctly, unless it involves the collection of their extortionate fees for sitting on their arses and doing fuck all for either party.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Ok..just to clear something up.

We own & run a private rented portfolio of 8 properties, and have done so for the last 10 yrs.

We have never used an agent on account that they are totally useless, incompetent retards for the most part.

As regards the deposit, this must be registered via a recognised scheme ( there are only 2 I think), and as such any disagreement about the return of the deposit must administered by them, the landlord cannot legally retain the deposit without good reason.

You should request sight of the proposed tenancy agreement, this will stipulate the do;s and donts, read this carefully, and whatever is agreed verbally must be added to this document.

Take pictures of the property when you move in, we use Site Audit Pro, but you can use anything really to record the state of the property, and if you do keep a dog, make sure you get pics of all the low level fixtures, skirtings, paintwork etc, trust me, this can save you hundreds of pounds at exit time.

A dodgy agent OR landlord can cost you dearly, pm me if you need any help.  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited March 2015
    I'm surprised you're having problems, I'm in a rented property and my landlord is cool with my dog, I don't rent through a letting agency I rent it directly from the owner, and he is fine with me having a dog, not only that, but when I was hospitalised, the nice man offered to take in and look after my dog for me while I was in hospital - my ex is a doctor and works in a hospital so she can't take the dog to work with her, nor can she nip back at lunch and every so often to take him for walks, plus she works a lot of hours over 60 a week so can't really give him the time he deserves.

But I would say go for it, get the dog, fuck the owner and her letting agency.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12473
    Dalefty;568259" said:
    I'm surprised you're having problems, I'm in a rented property and my landlord is cool with my dog, I don't rent through a letting agency I rent it directly from the owner, and he is fine with me having a dog, not only that, but when I was hospitalised, the nice man offered to take in and look after my dog for me while I was in hospital - my ex is a doctor and works in a hospital so she can't take the dog to work with her, nor can she nip back at lunch and every so often to take him for walks, plus she works a lot of hours over 60 a week so can't really give him the time he deserves.

But I would say go for it, get the dog, fuck the owner and her letting agency.

DaLefty
    Yeah, that's just great advice. What happens if the landlady decides he's broken his tenancy agreement and decides to chuck him out ?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2015
    Estate agents are lying scum bags. I would place money on the fact that the agent never even asked the landlord.

I would bet my left kidney that this is the case.  Our letting agent is a useless twat of the highest order and I have caught him out numerous times lying in communications between us and the landlords and he still does the same again and again without a flicker of remorse or guilt.

I really do not reckon your problem relates to the landlady.  Look at it like this.  If you got a dog why would the landlady risk an empty property and evict good tenants for the sake of it.  Also even if I were a landlord and an otherwise good tenant did that and their dog had shit on and chewed every carpet in the house I'd think "Hold on... If I evict them I'm going to have to shell out on repairing all that and have it empty whilst I do.  Their deposit probably won't cover that.  Alternatively if I let them stay I still get my rent, still have a deposit and they are never going to ask me to pay for new carpets are they?  By the time they leave I'd probably have to have redecorated anyhow.".

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I'm going to call him today and put emphasis on the fact that we have 2 very clear verbal agreements that we can have a dog. The second time she actually told us to buy one and to just make sure we paid the extra deposit before bringing him home.

Seems as though he can say absolutely anything he wants and I've no idea if it's true, so if that doesn't work I'll write to her with what's happened and put my mobile number on it.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    DefaultM said:
    When we moved in there was a fair bit wrong with the house, like the heating wouldn't work and neither would some plugs. He got it all sorted eventually bit it was a real pain and his response on the plugs was that "they've never worked and we can't get them to work". They still haven't been fixed.
    I would suggest that if the agent continues to be an obstacle, then you start to get real serious about him sorting this stuff you listed above immediately. Let him be aware that faulty sockets are a safety hazard.
  • By law you are entitled to ask for the landlady's address and they have to supply it within 21 days.  I know you probably have it already (as I have ours) but you'd be amazed how often if I ask the agent for the landlord's address and workmen etc. suddenly appear within days although the address doesn't.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Got in touch with property manager. If it was a dog she would have been more accepting, but as it's a puppy its a no because she just bought a new carpet...