If you like your music to sound as if it's 1970 try.....album reviews in brief

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4751
edited May 2015 in Music
Randy Bachman - Heavy Blues.  Very interesting album.  He says the rythmn section sound like Moon and Entwhistle and he aint wrong as the first track sounds like (well virtually is) Won't get fooled again meets something else very familiar.  Overall, worth a punt at the right price - not too serious but some good playing, original songs and the beat is there 110%.

Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie.  OK, most of it is Led Zep 1 and 2, with some blatant nicks (see above too) but none the worse for it. With added Small Faces as required.  A really rather good album and at about £7 definitely worth a go.

Steve Earle - Terraplane.  Just fucking buy it.

I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit (well, to be fair that's not strictly true if you read the title of the thread) and just reading the reviews and giving stuff a go.  Loving Blackberry Smoke, struggling a bit with Black Star Riders.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    rlw said:

Steve Earle - Blues.  Just fucking buy it.

Transcendental Blues?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4751
    rlw said:

Transcendental Blues?
    Terraplane - now amended.  Late night...............
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    rlw said:
    Randy Bachman - Heavy Blues.  Very interesting album.  He says the rythmn section sound like Moon and Entwhistle and he aint wrong as the first track sounds like (well virtually is) Won't get fooled again meets something else very familiar.  Overall, worth a punt at the right price - not too serious but some good playing, original songs and the beat is there 110%.

Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie.  OK, most of it is Led Zep 1 and 2, with some blatant nicks (see above too) but none the worse for it. With added Small Faces as required.  A really rather good album and at about £7 definitely worth a go.

Steve Earle - Terraplane.  Just fucking buy it.

I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit (well, to be fair that's not strictly true if you read the title of the thread) and just reading the reviews and giving stuff a go.  Loving Blackberry Smoke, struggling a bit with Black Star Riders.
    I do Google Play Music so i pretty much listen to everything i vaguely might be interested in when it comes out. Wasnt keen on the Bachman one but Steve Earle, Rising Sons, Blackberry Smoke are all worthy stuff.
    Try The Cadillac Three as well - they rock like a bastard and hes a good song writer, writes a lot for the country scene in the US.   
    Oh, if you like your music to sound like 1960, try JD McPherson. Particularly the first album. Its bloody great old school rock n roll. Loads of space in the music, which is the one thing that differentiates/makes modern music sound like compressed shite.
    I really need to catch up with the Steve Earle albums. I've got a couple of the early ones (Guitar Town and Copperhead Road), then all the ones from El Corazon up to Washington Square Serenade, but for some reason I haven't kept up with the ones after that.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6222
    rlw said:

Transcendental Blues?
    I just love the title track of that album.. such a dirty, grimy sound.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Samgb said:
    Oh, if you like your music to sound like 1960, try JD McPherson. Particularly the first album. Its bloody great old school rock n roll. Loads of space in the music, which is the one thing that differentiates/makes modern music sound like compressed shite.
    Not in HM bloody V in Oxford Street at all.............
    edited May 2015
    Love that track @equalsql That was the album that got me into Steve Earle.

There was a little music shop in Birmingham that had a recording room upstairs (Anew Music IIRC). We were recording a demo there the day before the release date of that album so the guy put it on. I remember him saying "you've got to hear this, it's got backwards tablas on".

He got me hooked on Porcupine Tree that weekend as well (Lightbulb Sun had just come out)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3107
    Backwards tablas? I'm in.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

You had me at backwards tablas...

There's not enough backwards stuff in modern music. A real shame. Bring back the backwards guitar solo!

To be honest listening to it now I'm not sure they are backwards, but I remember him saying that.
    rlw said:
    Samgb said:
    Not in HM bloody V in Oxford Street at all.............
    Theyve not got it? Check Youtube out for a taster. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6222
    Great innit! :D
    @rlw has got me listening to Terraplane whilst I'm bashing away at writing tedious validation code. Its turned a boring morning's work into a pleasant experience
    :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5104
    edited May 2015
    Witchcraft - s/t Sabbath, Tull, Wishbone Ash early PEntagramm and a nod TO Roky Eriksson
    Circulus - The lick of the tip of... Sounds like Comus meets Rameses
    Blood Ceremony - all of them. Coven/Black Widown influences but with added Sabbath
    Stone Axe - these guys eat Rival Sons from breakfast.
    Earthless - jam rock frenzy - like Santana's Soul Sacrifice performance from Woodstock on 11
    equalsql said:
    Great innit! :D
    @rlw has got me listening to Terraplane whilst I'm bashing away at writing tedious validation code. Its turned a boring morning's work into a pleasant experience
    :)
    Glad to be of service.  It has grown on me since I first listened and it lives in the car now.
    Reverend said:
    Witchcraft - s/t Sabbath, Tull, Wishbone Ash early PEntagramm and a nod TO Roky Eriksson
    Blood Ceremony - all of them. Coven/Black Widown influences but with added Sabbath
    Earthless - jam rock frenzy - like Santana's Soul Sacrifice performance from Woodstock on 11
    Aha - but my selection is much bluesier whereas yours is rockier and not quite so much up my street...........
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited May 2015
    Temperance Movement are really good. I play that a lot in my truck it's great driving music.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23506
    Reverend said:
    That's more my kind of thing!

Not necessarily totally retro sounding but I've also been enjoying Ruby the Hatchet, Mount Salem, Siena Root, The Vintage Caravan, Blues Pills and Elder recently.

Alnico said:
    Temperance Movement are really good. I play that a lot in my truck it's great driving music.
    Thank you - I was trying to remember their name whilst in HMV the other day; there's always next week....

Blues Pills I want to check out too.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet: Shit sandwich.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."