NGD , Hello Sweetheart!

What's Hot

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    Did you save any of those drugs for anyone else @impmann?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12703
    Hah! That was a looonnnngggggg time ago.

Just say no, as Zammo used to say.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Incredible machine that and looks like a great find.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love it. Looks awesome. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    This is one one of my permanent searches on eBay.  In that colour, with the brass ring fret markers.  I've wanted one for 30-odd years, out of pure nostalgia for the days when I first started buying American guitar magazines and staringly longingly into guitar shop windows.

They do appear on eBay from time to time but I've never pulled the trigger, because I suspect in reality it would be far too heavy and I wouldn't like the neck profile.  Never bought an Ibanez AR300 (some of them had the half brass/half bone nut) or Yamaha SG for exactly the same reasons.

But anyway, lovely guitar and it looks to be in fantastic condition!
    Just weighed it, 11Lbs, it's deceptive actually, wearing it I would have guessed around 7-8 Lbs, slightly neck heavy which again is suprising given the size/depth of the body.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    11lbs!  Yikes!  

I'm not really surprised though.  UK eBay sellers hardly ever give the weights of guitars in their listings (God knows how many times I've contacted sellers to ask that question....) but with these they often say things like "it's quite a heavy old thing" or "it's too much for my back" which means it must weigh a fucking ton. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well it was on a reasonably narrow strap for 2ish hours last night with no aches, I have a bad back too.
    So far so good.
    Put a new bone nut on, until I can source a UK brass 43mm lp nut, all my normal go-to places either don't stock them anymore or are out of stock, and I'm not going over the pond for one, nor am I paying over £10.

I've found that during my fret recrowning I have taken too much off the first fret, don't know how as I didn't veer from my usual routine, it's not massively lower but I fear there isn't enough left to redo them again!
    May just stump up the £££ and get a pro refret done at some point, I'd normally do this myself but I've made small errors each time and really don't want to muck this one up.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3358
    Very nice. I had a 79 falcon too but without the brass inlays. A weighty beast but played very well and sounded great even with the coil splits on the push push tone controls.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    Originally it was fitted with a brass nut, I had one back in the 80's , and very good it was too,especially after I fitted a Floyd ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy;806395" said:
    Originally it was fitted with a brass nut, I had one back in the 80's , and very good it was too,especially after I fitted a Floyd ;)
    Sacrilege!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    There's something cool about Japanese guitars from that era. A friend of mine is building a small collection. So far he has a Yamaha SG500, an Ibanez Artist and a couple of early Tokai Strats. I'll mention the Falcon next time I see him - I know he's on the look out for an Aria PE1000.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    It was the 80's and it actually worked very well ;) I did have to plane the front by a few mm, which actually helped the ergonomics
    edited October 2015
    richardhomer;806408" said:
    There's something cool about Japanese guitars from that era. A friend of mine is building a small collection. So far he has a Yamaha SG500, an Ibanez Artist and a couple of early Tokai Strats. I'll mention the Falcon next time I see him - I know he's on the look out for an Aria PE1000.

There's a Falcon on Gumtree at the moment, though it's a different color where the tinted lacquer covers the centre maple/rosewood as well as the wings.
    struggling to copy links on this tablet, apologies.
    Is there a trick I should know about to simulate a neck shim on a through neck like this?
    All it needs to be bloody perfect is a week biddy shim....
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Maaan I want it! :(
    You couldn't afford it :)
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Sadly you are likely right. Fortunately I am a superb burglar.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Been trying to love this recently, really trying, it let's me play fine, doesn't put up a struggle at all, sounds great both full bucker and coil cut, on a wide suede strap it sits well on the shoulder.... well I say ON the shoulder, more accurately it sits IN the shoulder! 11lbs ain't easy after a days work carrying carpets and underlay on my shoulder. Damn.