The Boss DD500 appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 420
    Threads like this really don't help my gas.  Whilst I love the Obscura pedal it would be great to have a few pre-set delays like slap back, ambient, ducking etc.......What to do???
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Threads like this really don't help my gas.  Whilst I love the Obscura pedal it would be great to have a few pre-set delays like slap back, ambient, ducking etc.......What to do???

Whilst you make a good point, you have to admit that a thread that encourages you to buy a really great musician's tool is far better then the next 20 you'll see that'll be someone creaming their pants over some obscure pedal that they read about on TGP and assume no-one here has ever heard of, telling you it's the elixir of tone and then flogging theirs the next month moaning about sucky tone.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Threads like this really don't help my gas.  Whilst I love the Obscura pedal it would be great to have a few pre-set delays like slap back, ambient, ducking etc.......What to do???

Whilst you make a good point, you have to admit that a thread that encourages you to buy a really great musician's tool is far better then the next 20 you'll see that'll be someone creaming their pants over some obscure pedal that they read about on TGP and assume no-one here has ever heard of, telling you it's the elixir of tone and then flogging theirs the next month moaning about sucky tone.
    ...lol, True.  Doesn't help my bank balance tho'.   :(      
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Drew_fx said:
    Let's give it up for the best delay pedal in the world guise!
    You called?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22430
    ^^
    Not even top 5. 

CUZ ALL THE TOAN SUCKZ.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^
    Not even top 5. 

Actually, it's a good point. What 5 are "better"?
    Pedals I'd have ahead of the Timeline:

EHX DMM and SMMH - the first is in a position all its own, the second offers so much experimental stuff in a small package. 
    Pearl AD08 - best of the old Japanese analog delays. Very simple but sounds lovely and the four I've had were not noisy like a DM2. I like the feedback, it doesn't shriek. Really good for drones. 
    Boss DD7 - for me, I prefer it to the Timeline and it offers so much for the money (the routing options are excellent)
    Flight Time - headroom and width of sound. Not as many options as the Timeline but I prefer it. 
    Timefactor - experimental stuff especially on this one gives it the edge for my uses. 
    Ibanez DE-7 - one of the best low priced delays ever and the oscillation is excellent. 

The Timeline is not a bad pedal but I think there is a certain 'Strymon sound' that you either love or don't. I've had two and just didn't feel the love. 

Personally I'd be happy with the TL, DD500 or Flight Time. It just so happened I ended up here. However for flexibility, quality of sound and options/ease of  use"on the fly" (I fucking hate that term) the TL cannot be beaten.

Obviously all in my personal opinion yadda yadda yadda...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well I've had a lot of delay pedals. I kept coming back to two Boss DD7's, because I like running two delays at once - a reversed delay, and a standard digital delay - and it worked great, but.... no presets.

The DD500 gives me everything I had before and more, and sounds great doing it.
    Drew_fx said:
    Well I've had a lot of delay pedals. I kept coming back to two Boss DD7's, because I like running two delays at once - a reversed delay, and a standard digital delay - and it worked great, but.... no presets.

I see from your board Drew that you're still using a Boss reverb as well as the DD500.  Do you stack em or run them on their own?
    Drew_fx said:

I see from your board Drew that you're still using a Boss reverb as well as the DD500.  Do you stack em or run them on their own?
    Yep! I stack them!
    edited March 2016
    Drew_fx said:

Is it possible to run a reverse delay into a delay that is set for different ms times for left and right? 

Drew_fx said:

Is it possible to run a reverse delay into a delay that is set for different ms times for left and right? 
    I think in A+B mode the delays run parallel rather than series so you can't run one INTO the other, but you can specify different ms times for each of them.

If you run two dual delays at the same time, you could have four different time values all at once.

I actually mostly run the thing in normal mode, which is two patches in one bank, but it's fun to do the other stuff too.
    Ah, I see. It sounds like there are a ton of routing options, something I really liked about the DD-7. It sounds like a really good pedal. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Given mine a quick play and I'm very impressed. Lots of sounds to explore!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Drew_fx said:
    Let's give it up for the best delay pedal in the world guise!
    First dibs when you come to sell it .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    I think the dd500 is great. Took me a while to get into it but now it's my favorite delay pedal. Very versatile and sounds great.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I hate you bastards .. having seen some videos I think I want one ... oh well it's only money.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    I hate you bastards .. having seen some videos I think I want one ... oh well it's only money.
    From my cold dead hands ;)