Aeropress

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6264
I know some of you will be very familiar with these, but I have only recently got one: my coffee making has been halleluha'd. Wow. BEst coffee maker ever. So easy, so good.

had a stove top before, but this bad boy is so much better.

Love it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    Same here, had a machine and bought one of these to try it as it was only £20. Sold the machine and now just use the aeropress
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Yep, better than barista stuff a lot of the time. We love ours so much the numbers have long rubbed off.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Yep. My favourite gadget.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Great for taking holidays and camping too. 
    We have an espresso maker now but still handy to have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I just bought one recently too, as I was getting fed up of using my Moka just for one person.
    The Aeropress is chuffing awesome, and so easy to clean up. My best tip on that is to unscrew the filter piece after you've squeezed the coffee through, and it is nearly always clean. Then prize the plunger back a few centimeters, hold above the bin and give it a whack. Hey presto, all the granules and filter paper come out in one lump. Then you just rinse the pieces and you're done.
  • Snap said:
    I know some of you will be very familiar with these, but I have only recently got one: my coffee making has been halleluha'd. Wow. BEst coffee maker ever. So easy, so good.

had a stove top before, but this bad boy is so much better.

Love it.

13g (ish) beans, ground to slightly finer than cafetiere, fill aeropress with off the boil water to the brim (upside down aeropress), put filter and cap on, put mug on, flip, wait a few minutes, press for a wonderful alternative to a cafetiere coffee that's far easier to clean, has less sediment and is consistently excellent. 

Wonderful device. Although it complements my stovetop, not replace it :) I don't like shots from the aeropress, they are always underextracted and a bit sour to my tastes. But I'm a coffee snob, and fully appreciate that makes me a mega douche. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    That's what I do, the slight pull up on the plunger Stops any drips on the way to the bin.

and if you have not done it yet, try the inverted method
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I borrowed one of a friend for a few weeks. I liked it but not as much as my espresso machine, but so much more convenient than a cafetiere at work. I was really surprised at just how strong the coffee was from it, it really left me buzzing in a way that cafetiere never does.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I must be the only one who never got on with it, I actually gave it away and prefer my Chemex much more.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Best gadget I've bought in years and used almost daily.
    Always make it inverted method so it brews for longer.
    And buy the metal filter, it lets more of the flavour through. £6ish off Amazon.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Does it do espresso?

octatonic said:
    Does it do espresso?

No
    octatonic said:
    Does it do espresso?

No
    Hmm... bugger.
    Can I make a cappuccino with it?
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Does it do espresso?

No
    Hmm... bugger.
    Technically, no, because cappuccino requires 1/3 espresso 1/3 milk 1/3 foam.

you can make intense coffee with the aeropress but strictly speaking it is not an espresso.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Does it do espresso?

No
    Hmm... bugger.
    Technically, no, because cappuccino requires 1/3 espresso 1/3 milk 1/3 foam.

you can make intense coffee with the aeropress but strictly speaking it is not an espresso.

Not close really. 

However, you *can* get these nifty travel manual espresso gizmos like the miniPresso. It uses a bike pump style thing to generate pressure, then infuses the coffee at something near the 9ish bars needed for a good brew. Obviously temperature management goes out the window, but it's a smaller, cheaper and maybe a quieter way of getting something close. 

There is also that Rok Presso which is okay, but again, no temperature management. If you want to do it old school and properly you could get a la pav lever espresso machine... But expensive and big ;) 

The minipresso is a neat thing though. 
    Ok, I don't think it is for me then.
    I'm sick of the coffee pods we currently have (expensive and not the greatest coffee, although it is consistent) and was looking at the Aeropress vs going back to grinding beans and making espresso/ristretto/cap from scratch.
  • octatonic said:
    I'm sick of the coffee pods we currently have (expensive and not the greatest coffee, although it is consistent) and was looking at the Aeropress vs going back to grinding beans and making espresso/ristretto/cap from scratch.

Yeah, i have had loads of pod coffees at work/friends and they are not amazing. 

Espresso is quite an art unto itself... I like brewed methods that are easy, but they definitely have more caffeine versus an espresso with water or milk. Especially the moka pot!! Gets me buzzing uncomfortably every time...
    octatonic said:

Espresso is quite an art unto itself... I like brewed methods that are easy, but they definitely have more caffeine versus an espresso with water or milk. Especially the moka pot!! Gets me buzzing uncomfortably every time...
    The pods are a solid 6 or 7/10 and they are consistent but fuck me we go through a lot- about £60 worth ever 4 weeks.
    If I am going to pay £60 a month for coffee then I want it to be amazing.
    I drink about 2 cups a day, double espresso each time.  350g bags.  A single bag cost about £7 and it lasts at least a week, about 10 days but let's call it a week to give us some wiggle room.

4 weeks cost me £28, for quality real coffee.  
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

The pods are a solid 6 or 7/10 and they are consistent but fuck me we go through a lot- about £60 worth ever 4 weeks.
    If I am going to pay £60 a month for coffee then I want it to be amazing.

Indeed. 

That's a lot of coffee! 

Does it need to travel? If not, you can pick up modified, serviced gaggia machines. They're a cheap machine, but decent bits. People mod them with a PID and often a new system for pressure regulation. Basically means you won't burn coffee after steaming milk, and you'll get a better shot once you've got a good, consistent grind and tamp.

*Nerd hat on* https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?11488-Gaggia-Classic-Modifications

Yup, I'm a member... 

Anyway, they're solid machines and highly recommended. 

The other one is the sage duo temp pro, which has all that stuff stock but costs a fair bit more. Still less than a pro level machine mind...

Apologies for thread derail. I do love my aeropress more than most ;)