Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Gibson , well this looks great!

What's Hot
AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Just seen Gibson post these rather splendid looking SG specials on Facebook.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/SG-Special-2019.aspx#SGSP19FPCH1

Seems as though they will be a sensible(ish) price . The faded pelham blue is a beauty.

If this is what the new leadership team are implementing looks like we have plenty of exciting guitars coming our way.

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is that price really any good? It wasn't too long ago you could pick up a brand new LP Standard for a little bit more - a plastic finish SG special seems a bit underwhelming for 1200 quid...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    danny_777 said:
    Is that price really any good? It wasn't too long ago you could pick up a brand new LP Standard for a little bit more - a plastic finish SG special seems a bit underwhelming for 1200 quid...
    Well it's a nitro finish and when you consider a brand new LP Standard now costs £2799...  £1200 quid is a good price.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • danny_777 said:
    Is that price really any good? It wasn't too long ago you could pick up a brand new LP Standard for a little bit more - a plastic finish SG special seems a bit underwhelming for 1200 quid...
    Indeed...I picked up my 2016 SG Special HP for £600 exactly. Ok, so that was a year end clearance, but still, double the price in 2 years? Now that's inflation! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am 100% on board with this. An SG Special as it should be - P90s, bound board, dots. Give me a blue one! 

I've always wondered why they called the older entry-level SG the Special, when it was really the equivalent of an LP Studio.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I would prefer a proper cherry finish and pearl inlay logo on holly veneery rather than gold logo with no veneer. The hardware is chrome as well which looks a bit cheap to me.

• I would prefer a proper cherry finish and pearl inlay logo on holly veneery rather than gold logo with no veneer. The hardware is chrome as well which looks a bit cheap to me.
    I'm fine with the logo - that's "correct" for a Special, since they're going back to old-school specs. They've even gone for the old-style neck joint, which is a bit of a surprise

Agree on the chrome though. Nickel is much nicer.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Really like those. 
  • I like SGs but I don't like the bridge, the pickups, or the colour on that one
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited November 2018
    Not a fan of the pickguard design between the end of the neck and the neck pickup.
  • Can't see any ES-175s :(
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    longjaw said:
    Not a fan of the pickguard design between the end of the neck and the neck pickup.
    That’s to cover the neck tenon, and is an accurate vintage feature. There’s an extra screw on the treble side though.

Finally, Gibson do something right! I don’t really get on with SGs - the neck position is wrong for me - but I think these look great.

I also prefer chrome hardware.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That’s great! Agree the hardware should be nickel not chrome and new Klusons look really cheap so they would be my first swap-out but it’s a welcome return to form.
  • These look good to me. Especially when they start blowing them out at 30-40% off 6 months after release :)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Never mind the SG Special, it’s The Paul 40th Anniversary in walnut that does for me:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/The-Paul-40th-Anniversary-2019.aspx
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    Pelham Blue always looks cool on an SG
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    That's more like it, the Pelham blue one looks great! Shame they don't do it in satin/faded finishes too though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    fandango said:
    Never mind the SG Special, it’s The Paul 40th Anniversary in walnut that does for me
    They’ve even managed to correctly mismatch the wood pieces in the headstock ;).

No Dirty Fingers pickups though, that’s not right. Although fixable...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fandango said:
    Never mind the SG Special, it’s The Paul 40th Anniversary in walnut that does for me:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/The-Paul-40th-Anniversary-2019.aspx
    Wow, blast from the past! I had one of those back in about 1984, didn't really appreciate it and ended up selling it for a Washburn tele copy and some other odds and sods I think.....shoulda kept hold of it.  I still don't go much on the looks to be honest, but it's a real Gibson, even if it was dirt cheap back in the day - as a teenager I was pretty lucky to have one.  Just didn't realise it at the time.  
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    The cherry looks awesome. If I won the lottery, I'd get one for sure. I don't play the lottery though...

So they look great, but I'm not getting one