Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Gibson , well this looks great!

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12677
    fandango said:
    Never mind the SG Special, it’s The Paul 40th Anniversary in walnut that does for me:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/The-Paul-40th-Anniversary-2019.aspx
    Now *that* is exciting. I loved my old The Paul and often consider trying another to see if my memory of it isn’t rose tinted.

Sadly mine got stolen - so perhaps my memory of it is skewed.

If they come in at a reasonable price I will definitely be checking one out.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72609
    impmann said:

I loved my old The Paul and often consider trying another to see if my memory of it isn’t rose tinted.
    Didn't the originals also have ebony boards? I thought they did, in which case that's something else they've changed on the new one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I like SGs but I don't like the bridge, the pickups, or the colour on that one
    apart from that... :)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    ICBM said:
    impmann said:

I loved my old The Paul and often consider trying another to see if my memory of it isn’t rose tinted.
    Didn't the originals also have ebony boards? I thought they did, in which case that's something else they've changed on the new one.
    Yes ebony on the original ones. They used to come up for sale used for ~ £500 a couple of years ago. I’ve seen asking prices creeping up to nearer a grand though the last few I’ve seen up for sale.

The 2019 Pauls are £1149 preorder on Andertons. So an original one seems a better buy.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I wonder if people getting these, which are out of my price range, will prompt some flipping which enables me to get something in my price range? Probably not.
  • Ridiculous pricing. Gibson are obviously now trying to balance the books and sharpish.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • Apologies for lack of warning re partial nudity, but that was me back in the 80s with mine.....
  • I like the Pelham SG but it's about £300 too much for me. Hopefully there will be some left at the end of the year (yeah, right).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• The cherry one looks lovely, shame about the pickups though, would rather have humbuckers.

• fandango said:
    Never mind the SG Special, it’s The Paul 40th Anniversary in walnut that does for me:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/The-Paul-40th-Anniversary-2019.aspx
    Now that is nice :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Can’t understand why they’ve bothered to reissue ‘The Paul’. I owned one many years ago and played a couple of others and didn’t think much of them tbh.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Can’t understand why they’ve bothered to reissue ‘The Paul’. I owned one many years ago and played a couple of others and didn’t think much of them tbh.
    Looks great though? Never played one though 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Actual colour is Teal. Faded Pelham Blue is more like a frosty green.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Is it just me or are there only two disgusting colours for the 2019 LP Standard?!

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Love the Pelham Blue SG but, call me odd if you will, I really like that colour with cream plastic parts, having seen them on the Jeff Tweedy signature model. 'Scuse the crude 'shopping but thought I'd see what it might look like...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 372
    edited November 2018
    Big fan of specials. Tacky hardware aside it def seems like a small step in the right direction. Hard to top Cherry and White as a finish though in my opinion. ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12677
    monoamine said:
    Ridiculous pricing. Gibson are obviously now trying to balance the books and sharpish.
    Why ridiculous?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14366
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    impmann said:

yes I recall ebony - they were effectively the first 'budget' LP with a stripped down vibe, so pre Studio - Recall walnut body first then mahogany later - Recall later became the 'Firebrand' - Recall many were heavy

Yes prices have risen - so few or none for sale around £500/600 now - Not sure they should be fetching £900/1000 but that is the market we are in or approaching - Hard to believe they are now getting close to 40 years old
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    The only thing I don't like is the price. Just two years ago I picked up a new SG Standard HP for £949. I guess the Brexit vote hasn't helped, but that's a lot more guitar for significantly less money. IIRC the typical retail was about the same as these.