Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Gibson , well this looks great!

What's Hot

Comments

• On the plus side, the rosewood fingerboard on The Paul gives smooth feel and smooth tonality.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14366
    tFB Trader
    Bigsby said:
    The only thing I don't like is the price. Just two years ago I picked up a new SG Standard HP for £949. I guess the Brexit vote hasn't helped, but that's a lot more guitar for significantly less money. IIRC the typical retail was about the same as these.
    Brexit itself is not the reason for higher prices - Prices have gone north on the EU mainland as well - Main influences on prices changes are Gibson's factory price, coupled with exchange rates
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the price is fine.  As much as I preferred it when a new R8 was £1,899, they're not anymore.  If a LP Standard is £2,799, and a Mexican Fender can cost over £1,000 then this seems well priced to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23076
    fandango said:
    Never mind the SG Special, it’s The Paul 40th Anniversary in walnut that does for me:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/The-Paul-40th-Anniversary-2019.aspx
    Now that is nice :)

Bloody hell, I wish I hadn't looked!

I really like that, although I agree there was nothing particularly amazing about the originals.  I suspect you'd have to be lucky to find one which (a) looked nice and (b) wasn't too heavy.

• Philly_Q said:

Bloody hell, I wish I hadn't looked!

I really like that, although I agree there was nothing particularly amazing about the originals.  I suspect you'd have to be lucky to find one which (a) looked nice and (b) wasn't too heavy.

Yeah they look superb.  Probably the most GAS I've had for a Gibson LP for a while but I'd be a bit wary of an all solid Walnut body guitar as they are very likely to be a very body. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    I'm already starting to think about trading in my Standard for one of these bad boys..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72603
    Philly_Q said:

I never liked the look of the originals and they were certainly heavy, but the combination of the walnut body, ebony fingerboard and Dirty Fingers pickups gave them a massive ringing tone that was quite unique. Not at all what you want if you think a Les Paul must sound like a 50s Standard, but a great sound. Sadly they've missed two of the three vital elements, although the pickups could be replaced.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12677
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

I never liked the look of the originals and they were certainly heavy, but the combination of the walnut body, ebony fingerboard and Dirty Fingers pickups gave them a massive ringing tone that was quite unique. Not at all what you want if you think a Les Paul must sound like a 50s Standard, but a great sound. Sadly they've missed two of the three vital elements, although the pickups could be replaced.
    Mine had DiMarzios.

Still sounded huge. It could do nice cleans though... original pickups were a bit bark-y for that. Btw I didn’t change them but I know the guy who did and he still has the original pickups... now in an Explorer. Crushing gainz toanz \m/
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

I didn't realise what pickups were in the originals, but I was looking at the picture of the reissue thinking hmmm, that looks like it should have Dirty Fingers.....!  :)
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Mine had DiMarzios.

Still sounded huge. It could do nice cleans though... original pickups were a bit bark-y for that. Btw I didn’t change them but I know the guy who did and he still has the original pickups... now in an Explorer. Crushing gainz toanz \m/
    were the originals the early days of Dirty Fingers or did some still have T Tops - ie transition era ?
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Mine had DiMarzios.

were the originals the early days of Dirty Fingers or did some still have T Tops - ie transition era ?
    I've read a lot of things saying they were T Tops, and a few saying Dirty Fingers. I've been looking up The Paul recently, because I was born in 79 and I'm thinking that I might try and get one as a "year of birth" guitar. I've not been able to get my hands on one yet though, so as is often the case, I think ICBM is more likely to know.
    I haven't personally seen an original one without Dirty Fingers, but that doesn't mean they didn't make other versions - that's a small sample, not more than half a dozen or so.

Personally I love the clean sound of them, it's almost like a more powerful Rickenbacker High-Gain sound - very middy and slightly compressed.

The really big problem with the originals is that they can suffer from body and neck seam separation, which is very hard to fix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    The really big problem with the originals is that they can suffer from body and neck seam separation, which is very hard to fix.
    Because of the walnut?
    Philly_Q said:

Because of the walnut?
    Not sure, but I assume so. It might be a wood that doesn't take glue very well, although WezV will know more about that than I do. About half the ones I've seen have had at least some separation though.

The problem is that to fix it means working glue into the crack, which is very narrow - unless you want to take the whole thing apart and re-do it.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12677
    DeeTee said:
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Mine had DiMarzios.

I've read a lot of things saying they were T Tops, and a few saying Dirty Fingers. I've been looking up The Paul recently, because I was born in 79 and I'm thinking that I might try and get one as a "year of birth" guitar. I've not been able to get my hands on one yet though, so as is often the case, I think ICBM is more likely to know.
    I’ve seen them with both.

My old one had Dirty Fingers... not my sound at all.

I know someone with a Firebrand (same thing as a The Paul but with fake ageing) and that’s fitted with low wind humbuckers - it sounds gorgeous 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Because of the walnut?
    Not sure, but I assume so. It might be a wood that doesn't take glue very well, although WezV will know more about that than I do. About half the ones I've seen have had at least some separation though.

The problem is that to fix it means working glue into the crack, which is very narrow - unless you want to take the whole thing apart and re-do it.
    About half? Damn. Thank you for the tip. As I might be scouting around for one, what should I be looking for, especially if I'm just going from pictures on a Reverb ad?
    DeeTee said:

About half? Damn. Thank you for the tip. As I might be scouting around for one, what should I be looking for, especially if I'm just going from pictures on a Reverb ad?
    It can be hard to see in pictures, unless they're very close-up or high-resolution.

• Bring back the 175!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    DeeTee said:
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Mine had DiMarzios.

I’ve seen them with both.

My old one had Dirty Fingers... not my sound at all.

I know someone with a Firebrand (same thing as a The Paul but with fake ageing) and that’s fitted with low wind humbuckers - it sounds gorgeous 
    I dare say typical of any transition model/era and factories using up old stock before new parts are used etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16778
    DeeTee said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Because of the walnut?

They do often suffer from some issues on the joints.  Walnut normally glues fine, so it must be something to do with the batch Gibson had for these.  It can look worse than it is

I had one with T-tops for a while.