Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Gibson , well this looks great!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Can they be imported with rosewood boads ?The Cites isnt altered yet is it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31670
    danny_777 said:
    Is that price really any good? It wasn't too long ago you could pick up a brand new LP Standard for a little bit more - a plastic finish SG special seems a bit underwhelming for 1200 quid...
    I can't think of any sensible reason why a nitro finished Pelham blue SG should be cheaper than a Telecaster. 

I'm always astonished that Gibson get all kinds of flak for their pricing but Fender never do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1474
    edited November 2018
    I quite like these, but why can't they get the carve right on the horns? 60s SGs with those deep, wide carves carves look SO much better!
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    p90fool said:
    danny_777 said:
    Is that price really any good? It wasn't too long ago you could pick up a brand new LP Standard for a little bit more - a plastic finish SG special seems a bit underwhelming for 1200 quid...
    I can't think of any sensible reason why a nitro finished Pelham blue SG should be cheaper than a Telecaster. 

I'm always astonished that Gibson get all kinds of flak for their pricing but Fender never do. 
    For me, it's not so much an overall criticism of Gibson's prices, as their recent and ongoing price rises. Rather than compare to Fender, just compare Gibson's 2018 Garry Clark Jr. SG to this 2019 Special:

3 x P90s v. 2 x P90s
    24 frets v. 22 frets and a bit of plastic
    Mother of Pearl trapezoid inlays v. Acrylic dots
    Mother of Pearl logo and crown v. Silkscreened logo
    Locking Grovers v. Vintage deluxe tuners
    ABR bridge and Stop bar v. Compensated wraparound bridge

Setting aside personal preferences in terms of which of those descriptions you might prefer, there's no doubt the Gary Clark Jr SG is a more expensive model, after it's it's a step up from a Standard compared to a Special. Except it's not, they're the same price.

And just five years ago, for the same money you could pick up a Kirk Douglas signature SG - effectively a 3 pickup custom, complete with gold hardware, maestro vibrato and split diamond inlay:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Kirk-Douglas-SG.aspx

This is why I'm commenting on the price - and yes, I know it's not 'all' about Brexit, and that other manufacturers have put their prices up, but I'm struggling to get excited about a basic model of SG coming in at over a grand. But perhaps it seems cheap to people on here, after all the £ splurged on custom shop Les Pauls in recent weeks! 

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    rossi said:
    Can they be imported with rosewood boads ?The Cites isnt altered yet is it ?
    Rosewood can and is still being used and imported, there are just more hoops to jump through and paperwork involved, hence why certain companies have stopped using it on their more affordable products.