So what actually is the heaviest combo?

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
edited January 2015 in Amps
We've hear @thomasross complaining about the weight of his combo, and @ICBM talking about how heavy a Tremoverb is and loads of people have mentioned that Twins are monstrous to lift. I have an Egnater Rebel 30 2x12 which is 88lbs which is 40Kg and I wouldn't want anything much heavier to lift in and out of the car. I've put casters on it to move around. >

I was idly wondering what actually is the heaviest combo around? Not talking about heads or cabs, just pure combos.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    For sheer weight v size the Mk4 Boogie takes some beating, I'm sure it was crafted from white dwarf star matter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

Ahem!

88 pounds is 40kilos.

90 k is nearly 200pounds. or around 14stone!

Dave.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    The one with the most speakers probably!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Twins are only medium-heavy at around 85lbs, depending on version - the 135W ones with JBLs are heavier.

The Trem-o-verb is 98lbs :)(They do vary slightly, since most of the weight is in the cabinet and plywood density varies a bit.)

The Burman Pro 2000 and the Ampeg VT-22 must be up there as well, although I don't have exact weights for them.

If you really want to take the biscuit my Peavey T-Max bass combo is 114lbs :-O - too heavy even for me, and not helped by the awkward shape, basically it's a cube. Trace Elliot once made an 8x10" bass combo too, but that was just silly.

I agree about the MkIV 1x12" combo seeming incredibly heavy though - it's not far off the weight of the Trem-o-verb, and half the size.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83 said:

Ahem!

88 pounds is 40kilos.

90 k is nearly 200pounds. or around 14stone!

Dave.

Finger trouble. Corrected. Cheers, Dave.
  • Blackstar Artisan 30 is the heaviest amp I've ever shat myself whilst lifting
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ask @Gassage tomorrow!

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    Contrary, my Fender Bassman 4x10 tweed combo was unbelievably light!
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    For me weight values have become irrelevant; My rig gets heavier every week without adding stuff to it.
    I'm pulling muscles I never know existed in my body,, Currently can't move my right shoulder and there's smth wrong with the tit-shoulder muscle joint..

I've promised my self I'll stay away from twins and bassmans (not interested in other fenders) and Mesa combos unless it's a vintage loaded Mk which I'll convert to a head the moment I get it anyway.. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    ICBM;490422" said:
    Trace Elliot once made an 8x10" bass combo too, but that was just silly.
    It didn't sound silly though, I had one. Pushing those eight Fanes hard with my Wal fretless custom was an absolute joy, though it was a bugger to move around.
    I could only transport it in dry weather because it hung out of the back window of my Hillman Imp.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    It didn't sound silly though, I had one. Pushing those eight Fanes hard with my Wal fretless custom was an absolute joy, though it was a bugger to move around.
    I could only transport it in dry weather because it hung out of the back window of my Hillman Imp.
    :)
    lol

I know they sounded great, but I just can't work out why they made it as a combo. The 8x10" wasn't that odd as a concept, but why make it more impractical by adding four or five inches to the top to fit in a little solid-state amp? They could very easily have made it just as a head and cab - or alternatively as a 4x10" combo and a matching cab, since the 8x10" was internally divided like that anyway! The only person I know who owned one did cut it in half eventually. I think he also had two of the insane 1x18"/1x15"/1x12" cabs they made later, and cut those down as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    They were crazy but they certainly put the company on the map. I ended up with a 4x10 combo too, Sat on top of a 1x18 Goodmans cab.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    ICBM said:
    Twins are only medium-heavy at around 85lbs, .
    Blimey, medium heavy.  I was thinking my old SWR Workingman's 12 was heavy enough tbh.  I need more Weetabix obviously.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    EBS do a bass cab that is 60kg/133lb

That's pretty bonkers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mick said:
    ICBM said:
    Twins are only medium-heavy at around 85lbs, .
    Blimey, medium heavy.  I was thinking my old SWR Workingman's 12 was heavy enough tbh.  I need more Weetabix obviously.
    To be fair I would say it's just below the borderline between medium-heavy and properly heavy. A 135 Twin with JBLs - or even worse, Gauss speakers which they did in the very late 70s - is into proper heavy territory.

By 'medium heavy' I mean something that *can* be lifted with one hand and carried a short distance, but is not really comfortable to do so. 'Heavy' is something that can barely be lifted with one hand at all and can't be carried any distance. I can get my Trem-o-verb off the ground with one hand, but that's really the limit - I can lift it up a small step if I'm rolling it on its wheels, but I wouldn't want to go any further than that. I can still lift it fully with both arms though, even enough to go up stairs. The Peavey T-Max is beyond my ability to lift on my own without risking injury - partly because I'm short and light and it's very deep, so I just can't counterbalance it at all.

Shape and handles come into it - a Twin might be lighter than the Trem-o-verb, but they're awkward things with just a single top handle, don't balance well (the power transformer is very heavy and at one end) and have sticking-out knobs if you lift them in the better direction with the speakers closest to you, so they're a real pain to move.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Heaviest amp I ever had was a silverface Fender Quad Reverb I borrowed for a while.

Gorgeous tone, but you didn't want to move it very often. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • I echo @ICBM on the twin front (or variants of(dont mention evil twins)) 

I used to think my the twin was heavy but my Hiwatt has moved it into medium heavy now.
    The Hiwatt combo is like an oak cupboard someone put an amp in.
    The website claims it is 32kg but there is no way. It has its own gravitational pull
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fuzzdog said:
    Heaviest amp I ever had was a silverface Fender Quad Reverb I borrowed for a while.

Gorgeous tone, but you didn't want to move it very often. :))
    Yes, the last ones of those, which like the Twin went to 135W, must be heavier. I was surprised by how *not* heavy an earlier 100W one was that I lifted recently was though - I had to lift it out of the boot of a car for a woman who was selling it, and I didn't really find it any more than 'medium heavy'. Part of the reason is that the speakers are individually much lighter than the ones in a Twin, because there are four they don't have to take 50W each. I'm pretty sure that the later Quads went to the same heavier ones though.

There's also the Super Six, which is the same thing but a 6x10"!

• Weighed my Twin ('71 with JBL's) 

36.5kg.

This is why it's getting split into two parts. 

Weighed my Twin ('71 with JBL's) 

36.5kg.

This is why it's getting split into two parts.
    36.5… that's only 80lb. Medium ;).

Are you getting a head box and a cabinet made? Don't hack the original combo if it's in decent condition.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom