So what actually is the heaviest combo?

What's Hot

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I've seen a Fender Qyad Reverb with JBLs.

That was heavy.

Mind you, I've just started getting into Hammond organs................
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @jpfamps - For the love of god… if you have a hammond, get it chopped!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The orange ad140 combo was a heavy beast, hard to find now aswell
  • I thought I was so smart putting my AC30 into a flightcase with wheels. Then I tried to lift it into the back of the car.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    I had a Jim Kelley combo... Foxx moi, it weighed about 36,512 lbs...
  • The Egnater Tourmaster combo is said to be one of the heaviest
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Evil Twin

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• The Cornell AC30 prototype 2x12" cab and head unit I had was pretty huge. I also picked up a 1st edition JC-120 with the Roland speakers taken out and some hideous old Celestions that made the unit well over 40 kilos. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Gassage said:
    Evil Twin
    Lighter than The Twin.

;)

I also picked up a 1st edition JC-120 with the Roland speakers taken out and some hideous old Celestions that made the unit well over 40 kilos. 
    PowerCels perhaps? They were ridiculous, up in the EV range. The original Pioneer speakers in the first JC-120s were heavy too, about JBL weight I think. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had a Jim Kelley combo... Foxx moi, it weighed about 36,512 lbs...
    This! And a 1x12 at that!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    I will weigh my Traynor Mk3 tomorrow. I've got a head version too - I would swear that is heavier than the combo! :)

R.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11914
    anything with 2 EVM12s in it
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11914
    ICBM said:
    heaviest 30w must be the DC30 at 83 lbs
    If you discount my Trem-o-verb which is currently running with four 6V6s and one 5V4 and produces about 30W, yes :).

The Matchless doesn't even have end handles either, which is silly at that weight.
    yes, should have end handles

provoked me to buy this:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/rocknroller_r8_mid.htm

https://a1-images5.static-thomann.de/pics/prod/115861.jpg
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Also years ago in my old guitar shop, someone rang up and asked would I take a Laney Aor 100 and 4x12 cab in part ex.  He wanted to part ex it against a small loud valve combo, beleive or not he turned up in a triumph  spitfire! 
    He played through a Peavey Mace I think which was a 1x12 combo, loved it did the deal and as he went to walk out with amp, he just grabbed it by top handle and went to carry on, it was hilarious his feet kept going but amp stayed where it was with his hand attached as he almost fell over. 
    That was a heavy amp, and I have used twins and MkIII boogies! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Evil Twin
    Lighter than The Twin.

;)
    It is indeed!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    He played through a Peavey Mace I think which was a 1x12 combo, loved it did the deal and as he went to walk out with amp, he just grabbed it by top handle and went to carry on, it was hilarious his feet kept going but amp stayed where it was with his hand attached as he almost fell over.
    lol… I'd forgotten about that one. No, it's a 160W 2x12" with two Black Widows, and I think you may have just established the new (guitar, at least) combo weight record :D. And quite possibly volume too, they were completely nuts!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StrummyBrummieStrummyBrummie Frets: 266
    edited April 2015
    I'm pretty sure it's the Mesa Road King mk2 2 x12.

98 lbs which is about 44.5 kg.

Give us a lift mate!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    A friend of mine had a Trace 4x10 bass combo that was definitely a two man lift. Insanely heavy. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've never really struggled, but then I'm retry fit, over 6 foot and 14 stone. I can actually carry two 412s at once, I don't know how I found that out but it used to be a handy trick.

My little peavey is massively heavy, I've toyed with the idea of getting a lighter cab made for it.