So what actually is the heaviest combo?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Gibson Super Goldtone...............now that's a man's combo .......sounds fantastic too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited April 2015
    @jpfamps - For the love of god… if you have a hammond, get it cho
    ICBM said:
    I think the Quad might be fractionally heavier than the Super Six actually - the Six does have two more speakers but they're much lighter than the ones in the Quad, and although the cab is taller there's not a lot of extra material.

I don't think I've ever come across both together so I could try lifting one with each hand :).
    According to the Fender amp field guide, the Super Six Reverb edges it at 44.5 kg vs 40.7 kg for the Quad Reverb.

Neither is especially portable, but the Super Six must take the biscuit here.

The export version will be a tad heavier.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    jpfamps said:
    According to the Fender amp field guide, the Super Six Reverb edges it at 44.5 kg vs 40.7 kg for the Quad Reverb.

It depends very much on the version too - the 135W ones are a lot heavier than the 100s. It's possible I haven't come across a 135W Super Six, but I definitely have of the Quad. The last Quad I had to lift was a 100W one and it really surprised me how not-heavy it was compared to what I expected -  I could easily believe it was as light as 40Kg :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:

It depends very much on the version too - the 135W ones are a lot heavier than the 100s. It's possible I haven't come across a 135W Super Six, but I definitely have of the Quad. The last Quad I had to lift was a 100W one and it really surprised me how not-heavy it was compared to what I expected -  I could easily believe it was as light as 40Kg :).
    I'm not seen a UL Quad: that will indeed be heavy. I've seen, although not lifted (!!) a JBL loaded Quad.

The couple of Super Six Reverb I've worked on were both 100W. These were made until 1979, so I assume the last ones would have been UL.

I expect it wasn't a big seller.

Regardless of the weight the Super Six is a very awkward size.

The Ampeg VT40 4 x 10 combo must be another good candidate.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    jpfamps said:
    It certainly is - even the intended horizontal-carry straps don't make it much easier.

jpfamps said:
    A friend of mine had one, I can't remember exactly how much it weighed but I think in the 80-90lb range. And also an awkward size.

The VT-22 - 100W 2x12" - is much worse though, that could be the heaviest guitar combo I know of, I think it's over 100lb. Even if it's not it's a horrible shape to move and the handles are extremely uncomfortable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:
    It certainly is - even the intended horizontal-carry straps don't make it much easier.

jpfamps said:
    A friend of mine had one, I can't remember exactly how much it weighed but I think in the 80-90lb range. And also an awkward size.

The VT-22 - 100W 2x12" - is much worse though, that could be the heaviest guitar combo I know of, I think it's over 100lb. Even if it's not it's a horrible shape to move and the handles are extremely uncomfortable.
    I think VT-22 is around 90 lbs.

A friend of mine had one for a while. I never tried lifting it. It exuded heaviness.

Puts those whinging about the weight of a Fender HRD to shame.