So what actually is the heaviest combo?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    timmysoft said:
    I've never really struggled, but then I'm retry fit, over 6 foot and 14 stone. I can actually carry two 412s at once, I don't know how I found that out but it used to be a handy trick.
    At a gig in the late 80s at the Edinburgh Playhouse, I saw the support band's roadie come on at the changeover and carry their entire Trace Elliot bass stack - I think 1x15" and 4x10", although it might have been two 4x10"s - with the head still on top, by picking it up by the side handles of the bottom cab. He looked like a big bloke, but… f***!! That lot must have weighed well over 200lbs, even the heads from that era aren't at all light.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    If the heaviest combo is not also the most expensive, then there's summat wrong somewhere.
    :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Carvin legacy combo: 28kg
    Carvin legacy 4x12 cab: 42kg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Nomination for the Seymour Duncan convertible 1 x 12.

I'm not sure the actual weight, but I tried lifting one, and it was a beast!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited March 2015
    The heaviest combo is whichever one you're trying to lift into the boot of your car at 2:30am after a long gig when all you want is to be in bed already.

I think my Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12 is 88lbs, Above a certain weight it's basically irrelevant anyway because you're not going to move it on the level without wheels and you're not going to lift it up stairs without help. I think the heaviest I'd be happy to lift about on my own is an AC30 combo at ~70lbs, and that only because it's got three top handles and it's a relatively shallow open backed cab so it's easy to bear-hug to lug it round.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

I have a Fender TRRI and a Matchless DC30 (moezambeeks old one as a matter of fact)

Before every Gig I gaze upon them... then my eye falls on the two rock Jet 20 combo....

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Trace had a bass amp with valves in.  I think there was a 2 x 12 combo version.  That has to be up there.
    edited March 2015
    crunchman said:
    Trace had a bass amp with valves in.  I think there was a 2 x 12 combo version.  That has to be up there.
    I don't think the combo version is the full valve power amp - it's the hybrid one, so it's not as heavy. I could be wrong… I borrowed one briefly which was the hybrid, but if they did an all-valveone as well it's only the 200W one so not that heavy. The combo is a 2x10".

The V8 400W head is a monster though, but not quite in the SVT league for sheer weight. Nor, sadly, for robustness. I used one for a while once, and I've worked on a few more - just too flimsy to be really reliable unfortunately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    richh said:
    Nomination for the Seymour Duncan convertible 1 x 12.

I'm not sure the actual weight, but I tried lifting one, and it was a beast!
    I have heard they were stupidly heavy. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    They weren't. A friend of mine had one, it was no more than medium at most.

The spec says 57lbs, which sounds about right from memory and makes it lighter than my solid-state Peavey Special.

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited March 2015
    Fuzzdog said:
    Heaviest amp I ever had was a silverface Fender Quad Reverb I borrowed for a while.

Gorgeous tone, but you didn't want to move it very often. :))

I gigged a Quad Reverb for a couple of years, I can't believe I managed getting around with it. Lifting it into and out of a mk2 golf boot was a serious mission. Website says they weigh 90lbs, Mine was close 100lbs on the postage scales.

I also have an Acoustic Model 165 (80's Boogie copy) that weighs 70lbs which is a lot for a 1x12 combo!

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Anyone know what a Super Six weighs?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I had a Peavey Deuce for ages, which wasn't very big but weighed 100lb-ish, lugging it up 7 flights of stairs to my flat after a gig was never much fun. 

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    JayGee said:
    Anyone know what a Super Six weighs?

98lbs but I bet they are heavier than that, my quad was about that weight.
    I think the Quad might be fractionally heavier than the Super Six actually - the Six does have two more speakers but they're much lighter than the ones in the Quad, and although the cab is taller there's not a lot of extra material.

I don't think I've ever come across both together so I could try lifting one with each hand :).

• As suggested earlier, the Egnator Tourmaster Combo - which is 97lb so up there.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Chuck Berry had the right idea.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Chuck Berry had the right idea.
    He didn't like Keith Richards setting up his amp though... Keith made a mistake allowing him to use something as loud and bright as a Twin.

A bass player I know always said that the best bass amp is "someone else's PA" :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    The Laney AOR Pro Tube 50 watt combo is pretty heavy as I remember it. I remember picking it up and having a F$%k me that's heavy moment and I work out!
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    My old Mesa MV was pretty unwieldy and heavy for a small 1x12, my Matchless head is insanely heavy for its dimensions, god knows what a 2x12 must be like from those guys.