Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the most ridiculous lowball/swap offer you've ever received..?

What's Hot

Comments

• Facebook groups DO seem to bring out the idiots/dreamers.

I've listed strats and teles on there only to be offered the same pointy disaster that looks like it was designed by Beavis and/or Butthead.

I also find it REALLY rude when someone just posts a photo (usually taken on a bed, illuminated only by reflections from their spot cream collection) in response, no message, just a photo.

Between that and the low ball offers, I've pretty much given up.

Oh....and before I forget, the dicks who can't read when I say (sometimes) no delivery, meet up in person who actually have a good trade but are the other side of the country. Argh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    johnswiss;923258" said:
    [quote="Lewligan;64955"]God loves a trier, but what offers have you received that just left you shaking your head in disgust..?

I only ask as I've just seen someone offer a mate of mine a US Standard Strat as a straight swap for his US '62 Vintage Reissue.

The one that always springs to mind for me is when I was selling a 1980 Gibson ES-335 Pro.Think I had it up at £1500, might've been a touch less.

Had a bloke offer me 900 quid for it, and he was genuinely disgusted when I turned him down.He couldn't believe it. Seemed to think he was doing me some sort of favour by giving me £900 for it.Very strange character.

I directed him to the (then new) ES-335 Studio range, told him he might have more luck there. He wasn't best pleased.

So what's the worst offer you've ever received..?
    His name wasn't Will was it? I had a strange guy offering me 900 for an es335 too. The offer was "a provisional cash offer subject contract based on the information provided" Just a small sample of the garbled bollocks i was getting!
    [/quote]

Not sure to be honest, was a long time ago and the emails were binned some time back.

However, that does sound like the sort of bile he was sending me.
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28738
    The ones I find bizarre are the ones offering £1.50 less than the asking price. I've had a few of them now. Is it really worth the effort?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky;923447" said:
    The ones I find bizarre are the ones offering £1.50 less than the asking price. I've had a few of them now. Is it really worth the effort?
    It's all relative innit. What if you're selling something for £1.50?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky;923447" said:
    It's all relative innit. What if you're selling something for £1.50?
    Look after the pennies...
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Its so the can tell the wife they negitiated a big discount...
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1761

I've been offered motorbikes as a trade quite often. Always some rubbish Chinese copy (itchyfanny) - quite why I'd want that when I'm selling a guitar or amp I've no idea.

I was once selling a white Marshall 1960A - got offered a very tatty unknown 1x12 in response and was told he was doing me a favour as I'd never shift a white marshall cab. 

I've another story relating to that white marshall cab and music ground - but i'll leave that for another day :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    I don't mind the lowball offers, but the typical comeback of "you'll never get more than that" "I'm doing you a favour" etc do grate slightly.

I'm always tempted to say I've been working in the music shop trade for thirty years and I *do* know how much my stuff is worth, even if you don't. And you do too, probably - either that or you're genuinely delusional, but it doesn't really matter. But I never even bother to reply after the first incidence of that, because life is too short and they're *always* a waste of time at that point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    gubble said:

I've been offered motorbikes as a trade quite often. Always some rubbish Chinese copy (itchyfanny) - quite why I'd want that when I'm selling a guitar or amp I've no idea.

I was once selling a white Marshall 1960A - got offered a very tatty unknown 1x12 in response and was told he was doing me a favour as I'd never shift a white marshall cab. 

I've another story relating to that white marshall cab and music ground - but i'll leave that for another day :)

Ahh, the Itchyfanny 500. Viz comic's bike of choice.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    gubble said:

I've another story relating to that white marshall cab and music ground - but i'll leave that for another day 

http://i.imgur.com/KgqGgV0.gif
    Stop crying, start buying
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubble;923920" said:
    I've been offered motorbikes as a trade quite often. Always some rubbish Chinese copy (itchyfanny) - quite why I'd want that when I'm selling a guitar or amp I've no idea.I was once selling a white Marshall 1960A - got offered a very tatty unknown 1x12 in response and was told he was doing me a favour as I'd never shift a white marshall cab. I've another story relating to that white marshall cab and music ground - but i'll leave that for another day :)
    Don't tickle my balls and then leave me hanging! Treat yourself! What's the story?!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Panama_Jack666;924075" said:
    [quote="gubble;923920"]I've been offered motorbikes as a trade quite often. Always some rubbish Chinese copy (itchyfanny) - quite why I'd want that when I'm selling a guitar or amp I've no idea.I was once selling a white Marshall 1960A - got offered a very tatty unknown 1x12 in response and was told he was doing me a favour as I'd never shift a white marshall cab. I've another story relating to that white marshall cab and music ground - but i'll leave that for another day :)
    Don't tickle my balls and then leave me hanging! Treat yourself! What's the story?![/quote]

Yeah, come on!! I LOVE a good Music Ground tale!! :-)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1761

It's not that interesting (I feel like I've built it up and it's going to be a huge let down) but here goes......

Before putting the white cab up for sale in the public domain I offered it to music ground, who to be fair often had a very nice collection of different things (insert comment about them not being their own things here).

I spoke to them and emailed over the picture, they weren't interested in the cab however they spied my Fender Sambora Strat in the background of the picture. They asked to buy it but it was not for sale (and still isn't) ended up having quite a few phonecalls practically begging me to sell them the guitar.

Twas very odd and probably 15 years ago now

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    Not a lowball but what really pisses me off is when you make it clear you won't be posting something as you don't have the packaging to ensure its safety with the Gibbons at UPS, and then someone contacts you saying is it ok if they organise a collection...

Yes that's fine but you'll need to send me a suitable box and packaging.

And THEN they get arsey saying why can't I put myself out...

They've missed the point - it's not that I can't get a box and some packing, it's that I don't believe I can find some locally that will protect it in transit sufficiently... So rather than cross-fingers-and-hope-for-the-best, isnt it better that either the buyer gets off their arse and collects it or they supply a box and packaging that they feel is adequate. If it all goes wrong, then it's on their head...

Tits.

(Recent eBay experience).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • I was offered a donkey for the wife abut 10 years ago in Egypt. It was a right mangy old thing.

Even so, I had no need for a donkey.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Drew_fx said:
    I've never been seen naked. You're both liars.
    Arrrrrrrr...  Now it makes sense why Mrs FX kept asking @Deijavoo, @Bucket and myself whether it was 'normal' for western guitarist to make love with all their clothes on and whether our wives found it odd.
    We don't make love. It's never consensual enough for that.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Chalky;923877" said:
    I'm sure you meant negotiated :))
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Drew_fx said:
    Chalky;923877" said:
    I'm sure you meant negotiated :))
    I thought he was speaking French.

:)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I sold a pointy BC Flying V on ebay year or so ago, categorically stated it was pickup only as i didnt have a case, and I was not going to spend time packing it etc as I knew it was going to go for less than £200 and I really couldnt be bothered with the hassle. Anyway, a guy wins the auction then of course asks me to arrange a courier - I politely say no, it is pickup only, I'm not packing it and it doesnt have a case.

Somehow he cajoles me into agreeing to send it IF he can send me a suitable flying v case for it. He dutifully goes and buys one off ebay (without asking for any measurements) and enters my house as the shipping address, so its coming straight to me.It arrives and with grim predictability its not big enough. Ballls, he says, ok ill sort something out, and off he fucks to work out whats hes going to do.

The very next day a UPS courier turns up with a hideous but pretty valuable Jackson King V addressed to me. The day after that a courier turns up and delivers 4 large motorcycle luggage boxes and again I have no idea where they came from. I smell a rat and my wife is not happy that the dining room now looks like a warehouse. I message the guy who won my guitar and ask him if he's waiting for anything else he's bought on ebay recently? Of course, he'd managed to change his default delivery address on ebay to mine when he bought the too small case, so everything he had bought in that week (quite a lot as it turns out) had been shipped to me. I told him he needed to come and pick it all up very soon and he did. Was an altogether very embarrassing situation, a massive massive pain in the arse, and the reason I enforce the no shipping rule without exception now. Cool story bro eh?
    18reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    I've had that too.

Theres a guy in Italy that's forever doing this - he buys vintage Hi-Fi, guitar amps etc. He has no intention of ever collecting them himself so when you refuse to send them to him, he gives you negative feedback in Italian.

I had three such dealings with him - and I made a complaint to eBay about him, his attitude (his English was perfect in his abusive emails - complete with the correct expletives in the right places) and his activities. After much arguing with the prats at eBay, I had the feedback removed and had a perma-block put on this dickhead ever bidding on my stuff in the future.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom