Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the most ridiculous lowball/swap offer you've ever received..?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    HarrySeven;930473" said:
    Strangefan said:

Hi all,

I had an old Epiphone ea 250 from the 70s on Facebook last week, Kenn Gordon who is the owner and Luthier at Gordon guitars messaged me, asking about trades, he offered an aria acoustic or a crafter acoustic, both approx worth about £250 each, I politely declined (I had the epi up for £400).

He then text back with all these pics of guitar from the matsumoku era he had owned and proceeded to tell me how I'll never get any more than £225 for the guitar, and he was really doing me a favour.

I promptly blocked him, as I really couldn't be doing with getting into a childish argument,

So he then messages me on Gumtree offering me the same 2 guitars!

I email back asking why he's wasting my time, and he still thinks his guitars are a viable offer and mine is not worth the asking price,

I then do a bit of research on him and find he had previously tried to sell the same model and year es for £525!

Hes one of these types who are ruining the market by trying to buy low and sell high and if you don't play ball, he uses all his "skills" to convince you you're asking too much.

I sold it 2 days later for £400 ☺☺☺

All sounds a bit familiar... :(
    @HarrySeven I take it you have had a similar encounter with the same fellow?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader

Got offered a £600 Strat for a £1300 Gretsch on here. "Can't afford to make up the difference"... saw a few ads around the time for guitar of similar value and the same "pm sent" so probably a few others got it too. But for me selling cars has been worse for the amount of dipsticks who think they're sharp traders. Ebay seems to have a breeding programme for 'em.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I don/t mind low ball offers - why not take a chance? You can just say no or make a counter-offer.

If people get arsey, that's a different matter.

I stand by my assertion, however, that anyone who asks questions prior to making an offer isn't going to buy. So I'm always in two minds about whether to respond to PMs about 'how much does it weigh' etc because that instant I know this is going nowhere. But it's fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    mellowsun said:
    I don/t mind low ball offers - why not take a chance? You can just say no or make a counter-offer.

If people get arsey, that's a different matter.

I stand by my assertion, however, that anyone who asks questions prior to making an offer isn't going to buy. So I'm always in two minds about whether to respond to PMs about 'how much does it weigh' etc because that instant I know this is going nowhere. But it's fine.
    Eh?

I always ask weight and if it's light enough I snap their hands off! Lots of us about with bad backs!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    Yeah I always ask questions too.. bought a lot of stuff but passed on others.

Certainly wouldn't buy at all if you ignored me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I generally give people 2 questions grace, after that i know theyre just fucking around and were never going to buy whatever it was anyway. As mentioned above, if someones going to buy something theyll generally just do so without any dicking about. Worst guy on this forum, who i dont feel to bad about calling out, was Adolph Hipster who would constantly message you even after youd told him in no uncertain terms you werent interested in his offer or trade.
    I generally give people 2 questions grace, after that i know theyre just fucking around and were never going to buy whatever it was anyway. As mentioned above, if someones going to buy something theyll generally just do so without any dicking about. Worst guy on this forum, who i dont feel to bad about calling out, was Adolph Hipster who would constantly message you even after youd told him in no uncertain terms you werent interested in his offer or trade.
    My stock questions for guitars (depending on the descriptions) are:

What year is it from:
    SN?
    Any repair work?
    Fretwear? Can you send me a photo of fret 1-6
    Did you buy it new or 2nd hand
    Will you ship to switzerland...

Any seller who can't be arsed to answer simple questions rings massive alarm bells in my head..and I certainly won't be sending my money that way...

Saying that, if I'm not going to buy, or feel it's not for me, I do let the seller know. Two way thing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited January 2016
    I suppose I mean I give 2 emails grace, not individual questions - that would somewhat hinder the buying/selling process
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited January 2016
    Currently a tower of rage because of this very thing. (not here ebay/gumtree) I don't mind questions i do mind being fucked about by arseholes. I think I'm going to implement the two email policy as described above. I'm ok with offers as well but not when they're 50 % of the asking price you explain theres no chance and state your minimum. Then recieve an offer with 25 quid added on. 

I got asked who I thought i was yesterday because i asked a guy if he had a pedal or something to make up the price, after he gave me a load of bullshit. That he was buying it for deprived children or some other codswallop. I have to admit I lost my temper. Which is unlike me.

I've also come across that Kenn Gordon fella. I thought he was shady at the time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got reminded of this thread when I got offered a PRS SE on a Gibson Les Paul Standard....

The best chancer on facebook atm is a guy touting his Tokai Japan DC (nice guitar though) at £599, then on the same group commenting on every Gibson offering a trade saying he is selling it for £1000+
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Had a nice low ball offer on my already cheap SG.

I wanted to sell for what I paid, so 290ish, which is a bargain.
    Offer of 175, because I can collect today. Great offer, hard to sell as old?, etc, etc-

Sold 10 mins later for asking price.
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    I like the ones who think putting CASH at the end of their offer somehow makes it a better offer than it actually is?

What else were they going to pay with..?
    Stamps?
    Breadsticks?
    Sexual favours?
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Lewligan;938542" said:
    I like the ones who think putting CASH at the end of their offer somehow makes it a better offer than it actually is?

What else were they going to pay with..?Stamps?Breadsticks?Sexual favours?
    Absolutely. "How much for cash?" As opposed to what, exactly?
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I'm currently selling my motorbike as I need a van at the mo, and if I decline an offer I always get the "you won't get any more for it" and my typical response is "can you please tell me next week's lottery numbers, as you can clearly see into the future".

Is seems to be the default reply if you don't accept an offer, so much so I'm starting to think there is a button which sends this automatically!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1766

I'm having a great time selling my 2x12 cab at the moment - it's been on a Facebook group for 24 hours.

I've been offered an exchange of an Ibanez sound tank distortion plus cash his way if I deliver to somewhere in Northampton. I politely declined.

I've also been offered the full asking price if I delivery it to somewhere in the highlands - I live on the south coast of England.

It's on ebay now so looking forward to the next wave of crazy offers.

• LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    gubble said:

I'm having a great time selling my 2x12 cab at the moment - it's been on a Facebook group for 24 hours.

I've been offered an exchange of an Ibanez sound tank distortion plus cash his way if I deliver to somewhere in Northampton. I politely declined.

I've also been offered the full asking price if I delivery it to somewhere in the highlands - I live on the south coast of England.

"I'll have it if you can deliver in person to the Cayman Islands."
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1766
    Lewligan said:
    gubble said:

"I'll have it if you can deliver in person to the Cayman Islands."
    Pay my travelling costs 1st Class and i'll let know a tenner of for you no problems
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206

My local FB page is decent actually.

It was someone on here that made me aware of it, I’ve picked up a couple of guitars, one was as new, one was a fixer-upper. And an Epi SG for a mate, a G-400 Pro that came with a Vox AD50VT for £150.

Bought a pedal from a guy too, and sold a 12 string lute guitar, all great transactions with great guys.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Just remembered though, I did have some guy offer me £50 for the lute (was advertised at £120) Told him no, and he plead poverty and offered me £60 quid if I dropped it at his house in Falkirk. I live by Glasgow Airport. He upped it to £65, by which time it had sold for asking price to a nice guy that came and picked it up.

• doogz84 said:

My local FB page is decent actually.

It was someone on here that made me aware of it, I’ve picked up a couple of guitars, one was as new, one was a fixer-upper. And an Epi SG for a mate, a G-400 Pro that came with a Vox AD50VT for £150.

Bought a pedal from a guy too, and sold a 12 string lute guitar, all great transactions with great guys.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Just remembered though, I did have some guy offer me £50 for the lute (was advertised at £120) Told him no, and he plead poverty and offered me £60 quid if I dropped it at his house in Falkirk. I live by Glasgow Airport. He upped it to £65, by which time it had sold for asking price to a nice guy that came and picked it up.

If that's the Edinburgh/Glasgow group, I'm a member too. It seems very well policed by the admins and I've also done some good deals (both buying and selling) on there with the minimum of hassle.