Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the most ridiculous lowball/swap offer you've ever received..?

What's Hot

Comments

• I compared my offer with @impmann and it seems its the same copy/paste job every time
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Blimey, I'd be going back.. was ages ago.

I'll have a scan through now to try and find it.
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    Not a guitar but I did get a fairly good shag as part of a deal when I bought a car once... Honestly!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Not a guitar but I did get a fairly good shag as part of a deal when I bought a car once... Honestly!
    you didn't have to wipe down on my curtains afterwards though...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    I think I know the guy you are talking about. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tbh, I didn't believe her at first... But hey, it was a good car, a great deal and she was rather lovely... :-)

• impmann said:
    Tbh, I didn't believe her at first... But hey, it was a good car, a great deal and she was rather lovely... :-)
    gleaming chrome work, lowered suspension, big fat tyres and everything
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Most mental swap offer I ever had. Bloke offered me a USA Fender Blues Deluxe in exchange for a POD 2.0. I worked for Line 6 at the time. Needless to say I did the deal. 
     I once got a all original 1974ish Sunburst Tele in a straight trade for a MIM 72 deluxe tele. 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rossyamaha;921483" said:
    Most mental swap offer I ever had. Bloke offered me a USA Fender Blues Deluxe in exchange for a POD 2.0. I worked for Line 6 at the time. Needless to say I did the deal. 
    I still have the relic POD XT, Ross.

Oh, and I think Ron has your relic white V600 - I still remember you kicking that around the car park!

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    lustycourtier;921750" said:
     I once got a all original 1974ish Sunburst Tele in a straight trade for a MIM 72 deluxe tele. 
    The guy who did the trade with you should have posted this!

He wasn't the bloke who turned down The Beatles at Decca, was he?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    @impmann I'll have to message him. Would love that back. I sold more Variax's with that guitar than with the stock ones. Played like shit but looked awesome. Happy times. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    Not sure that was a great swap unless you were planning to sell it… the MIM might have been a better guitar :).

I swapped a '69 or '70 Tele for a new USA Standard Tele in the mid 90s. The old one was nice, but worn out - it needed a refret, which would have also meant a new fingerboard (it was paper-thin in places and through to the maple in one), the body had been routed (in a visible area, near the control plate) and patched up with car body filler, then refinished in green sunburst. So not exactly a prime example. I still miss it a bit though, it had 'something' even though it was a bugger to play because of the frets.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    meltedbuzzbox;921683" said:
    miserneil said:

octatonic;921263" said:So, so many.

Most recently a trader was posing as a buyer 'with bad GAS' for my Princeton.Offered me something like £300 for it, about half its value.

Eventually worked out he was a dealer- TTony banned him for having duplicate user names and it all came out.

Same guy offered me £1200 for a £2400 Matchless stack.

Also had an offer from a member here to trade a £1700 guitar for some jewellery for my wife. Cash only, she can get her own bloody jewellery!

hah! He has made that same offer to me and @impmann
    When this guy was offering a pearl necklace for the Mrs I don't think it was actual jewellery he had in mind.

:D
    Previously known as stevebrum
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I frequent a couple of Facebook gear pages and have listed the odd guitar willing to listen to part ex deals. There are a couple of chancers who must reply to every. single. post. offering to swap for the same guitar they can't get rid of. I must've been offered a perspex aria explorer for about 5 different guitars or amps of wildly differing values.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I had this one guy when I was in town one day. I was just walking by and this right chancer in the street, sat in a blanket, asked for food or something.  I was a little confused, so I asked how much for?  The cheeky bastard said for free!!

Wouldn't even give me his blanket. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5096
    I was offered a Fender US Standard Strat in a swap for my Gibson ES 339. I said certainly, just add £700 in cash and the Gibbo's yours - I never got a reply funnily enough.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    littlethoughts;922909" said:
    I frequent a couple of Facebook gear pages and have listed the odd guitar willing to listen to part ex deals. There are a couple of chancers who must reply to every. single. post. offering to swap for the same guitar they can't get rid of. I must've been offered a perspex aria explorer for about 5 different guitars or amps of wildly differing values.
    Been offered the '1964 Hofner' yet @littlethoughts?

See a lad on loads of Facebook groups offering that same guitar for all sorts of stuff.
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewligan;922929" said:
    [quote="littlethoughts;922909"]I frequent a couple of Facebook gear pages and have listed the odd guitar willing to listen to part ex deals. There are a couple of chancers who must reply to every. single. post. offering to swap for the same guitar they can't get rid of. I must've been offered a perspex aria explorer for about 5 different guitars or amps of wildly differing values.
    Been offered the '1964 Hofner' yet @littlethoughts?

See a lad on loads of Facebook groups offering that same guitar for all sorts of stuff.[/quote]

I know the one! If he wasn't so keen to shift it id be far more inclined to think about it...
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 394
    Lewligan;64955" said:
    God loves a trier, but what offers have you received that just left you shaking your head in disgust..?

I only ask as I've just seen someone offer a mate of mine a US Standard Strat as a straight swap for his US '62 Vintage Reissue.

The one that always springs to mind for me is when I was selling a 1980 Gibson ES-335 Pro.Think I had it up at £1500, might've been a touch less.

Had a bloke offer me 900 quid for it, and he was genuinely disgusted when I turned him down.He couldn't believe it. Seemed to think he was doing me some sort of favour by giving me £900 for it.Very strange character.

I directed him to the (then new) ES-335 Studio range, told him he might have more luck there. He wasn't best pleased.

So what's the worst offer you've ever received..?
    His name wasn't Will was it? I had a strange guy offering me 900 for an es335 too. The offer was "a provisional cash offer subject contract based on the information provided" Just a small sample of the garbled bollocks i was getting!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3090
    I'm fed up with people asking me to put an item on hold as they will "definitely" pay for it when they get paid / move money around etc. A few days without communication passes and then when prompted they invent some lame excuse why they can't buy it. This has happened multiple times with folks on this forum. In my world, when you give your word to buy or do something you follow through...
    Frustrating isn't it, I mean why bother to say you want it if you don't?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom