Gibson Les Paul Signature T refinish

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    edited July 2016
    Cheers  :)
    Today's all about prep. I steamed out what I could of the dinks. One disappeared completely, one is still there slightly but I grained filled it. It'll be under the pickguard anyway. 

Pics (pretty mundane at the moment!) are various coats of light oak stain then rubbing back with 600 grade wet and dry to raise the grain. The last pic of the top is it ready for a shellac burst/nitro lacquer coat (that's what I'm going to try first) - you can't tell from the pic but it's responding well to a wet test and the grain is really accenuated.

Back has been lightly grain filled twice and rubbed back. I left the sides and neck (they'll get sander sealer) as it's a pain in the arse usually to rub back. That's now ready for some stain (mahogany possibly, or I may just light oak it as well) and nitro lacquer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    The quilting on that top is stunning! Fancy Gibson covering it in white paint :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    There's no need to grain fill maple, it has a very tight grain.

The reason you're finding the grain filler hard to sand back is that you are leaving far too much on. You need to scrape or rub it off the surface. Even if you end up applying it twice, it's easier than sanding it off.

edited July 2016
    Thanks for the info Steve. I'm aware of that as you enlightened me during my first Tele build ;) I didn't actually grain fill the top, just the little dink. I thinned the ruskins with white spirit and applied two thin coats too, rubbing down in between. It's looking good now. The neck and sides aren't too grainy in any case so I should be OK with sander sealer.

@Andyjr1515 travesty innit!?
    Had a busy morning final prepping, remasking to allow for scraping and staining. This is with a few coats of sanders sealer applied. Just scraping, de-nibbing  and final coats of nitro lacquer left then I'll have to wait a good few days before the final polish (and rebuild).
    0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow! Excellent work, that is stunning!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Looking brilliant!   =D>
  • Bloody hell!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341
    Fantastic,looking really nice.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Thanks gents. After a lot of teeth sucking this afternoon I've redone the top, it's not much different, just a tiny bit lighter. That's it till next weekend.
  • Very nice.  I agree it's bizarre they've used such a good-looking bit of wood for a painted top!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    agree that they must have more maple than they know what to do with to cover something as beautiful as that. 

i'd probably strip mine and find plywood.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    Tbh I think you can see why the chose that for a white burst.

White pigment minimises the figure, so you need strong figure to see any at all. But your not going to use your best maple for it. So you find some which are strongly figured, but not consistently so. You only need figure in a relatively small area. And you can accept some flaws, especially if they fall under the burst.

Personally, I think tops like this are much more in keeping with a vintage feel because of the variation from "perfection" you got when any maple was used and some just happened to be figured and matching was fairly random. Sometimes perfect, often not. which is why I reckon it would suit a bit of ageing
    cacophony said:
    agree that they must have more maple than they know what to do with to cover something as beautiful as that. 

i'd probably strip mine and find plywood.

What have you got? The LPJ Andy's currently working on has a beautiful grain.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    Wow! Complete transformation, looks amazing!
    Cheers Dave. I've ordered some original nickel pickup covers too. I love the sound of the classic 57's so want to keep them but not completely sold on the open coil look.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Jesus Christ, gotta agree with everyone else. Insane original finish on that when the wood looks as good as it does. Especially when you consider you can still see that one knot or whatever it is under the original white !!!!!
    the burst looks awesome mate, top job on that.
    looking forward to seeing it re-assembled.
    nice one man.
    Cheers mate. It is a knot. Adds character ;)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Bloody hell that's gorgeous! awesome skills at play here, well done!
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Looking good DM, nice job on the burst