Gibson Les Paul Signature T refinish

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    Encouraging words, thanks again gents.

Today I started by cleaning the binding. Rather than scrape and risk any damage I used an equally good but easier, more controlled method; 1/4" tape and a thinners moistened cloth. If you're ever thinking of doing a bound guitar and are concerned about scraping, I highly recommend doing it this way. As long as your masking is spot on then it works well.

I've tidied up those scruffy control cavities and gave them a coat of black.

Last was a final flat off to get rid of any imperfections and then I applied 6 coats of nitro. My pickup covers have arrived so next up will be flat, polish and rebuild. Next weekend most probably.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Wow ! Lovely, lovely finish :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Andy, I've got no excuses given the facilities and equipment at my disposal   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman;1144399" said:
    Thanks Andy, I've got no excuses given the facilities and equipment at my disposal   ;)
    Not so sure about that....I could c**k things up whatever facilities and equipment I had at my disposal :))
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :D
    I'm so indecisive. I think there's something wrong with me. Tonight I've darkened the back and although I'm happier with it (at the moment), I stumbled on to this pic tonight and now I'm thinking of changing the top. That's the problem when you've got lots of gear at your disposal! 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3307
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    The one on the left is what my other burst will be like, colour not the top but I'll still fade it a bit more, too shiny for me.

Too many bursts I like, gotta make more.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2381
    Think you've already got it bang on TBH @Deadman - Looks about 100x better than how you bought it :D
    Very kind Dave. I'm just off my head I reckon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deadman said:
     I'm just off my head I reckon.
    That'll be all the cellulose fumes ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PVO_Dave said:
    Think you've already got it bang on TBH @Deadman - Looks about 100x better than how you bought it 

+1 on this ^^   I kept thinking the same with my LPJ, even though the owner is made up with it.  There are times when it's best to sit on your hands and do nothing more!

Andy
    Deadman said:
     I'm just off my head I reckon.
    That'll be all the cellulose fumes

=) Highly unlikely given I wear one of these connected to breathing air  http://www.promat-securite.com/pub/RESPIRATOIRE/PHOTOS_RESPIRATOIRE/FILTRANT/VISION_3PPLQF.jpg
    .....only when I'm spraying though.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12477
    Deadman said:
    Cheers Dave. I've ordered some original nickel pickup covers too. I love the sound of the classic 57's so want to keep them but not completely sold on the open coil look.
    I'd be interested to hear what, if any,  difference the covers make. I've got a sig T as well and some kind soul on here donated me a set of p/u covers a while back. I've been a bit hesitant about fitting them as I like the existing sound of the open coils... just prefer the classic look of covered p/ups on an LP. 

That's a great job on the refinish btw, 100% improvement on the original. Mine's wine red, not planning on changing it. 
    Well I'll let you know. It's form over function for me at the moment though. Thanks for the kind words; I wouldn't refinish a wine red either. They look great.
    Finally wet flatted and buffed this up. Next up, refit:

Stunningly beautiful.....