Making Music sub forum? SotM, RotM

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
I just wondered if anyone reads in there - I'm always surprised how few entries there are for the SOTM or ROTM etc. I posted a wee recording I did of me playing over the recent Kiesel comp backing track - I'd never enter as there are so many great players but I was looking for some feedback on what I could do to break out of old habits but I realised it's very quiet in there!

This got me thinking - more ppl should enter the solo of the week stuff on here and just rock out or try something different to your usual style - it's not always the chops but it can be the note choice or the feel you go for - or even a shedload of effects! Someone will hear what you hear or get what you are going for - and don't go for perfection - this has always been my problem - I never let loose - it's quite liberating!

I don't record into a DAW or anything - just play along with the track in the livingroom and record! Anyone else who has never done the SOTM want to give it a go with me?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I was going to give it a bash this month. I've not gotten far though, I've only done 2 bars....it might end up a dog's breakfast.
  • I used to.....
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I used to.....
    I know, I heard them on Soundcloud :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    edited October 2016
    It would be good to hear more people's playing.

So many people on here seem very self-critical of their own playing (there sometimes seems to be a 'we are not worthy' sort of culture) but I find that most people have something interesting to say (or play) if they give themselves a chance. You don't have to be a virtuoso to play music.

The Raw Riff of the Month Challenge is the easiest for anyone who wants to dip their toe in the water of recording - single guitar track, up to 50 seconds, record it as basically as you want (it's not all about quality of production)
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I love the "of the Month" competitions and they've definitely given more direction to my playing, with the result that I play more. Definitely anyone thinking about it should just have a go. Everyone's very supportive.

I personally found the Solo of the Month challenge easier to start with, since it's an existing backing. Plus it challenged me to work with styles I wouldn't do otherwise. I've done a couple of solos that completely surprised me, I had no idea I'd even be able to play something like that! I haven't won in 18 tries but I'll still keep going ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its far more interesting arguing over whether rosewood sounds snappier than baked maple than doing something silly like actually making music, c'mon...

Seriously though, I'm in the process of moving house so everything chez moi is in total chaos but I intend to try and join in once I'm settled in.

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I do the SotM every month.  With a new job and a new house (with a sh1t load of DIY required), it's literally the only playing I do at the moment sadly.  I plan to enter the other otM comps as soon as I have time (I've been saying this for a while though).

I also think that it's definitely easier to put a solo to an existing track than write something from scratch and "release" it.  For me, there's also a bit of anxiety around putting your own stuff out there.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    @ChrisRG , Just being nosey, but what are you anxious about regarding entering the other otm comps?

Is it a fear of someone nicking your ideas or as @steamabacus mentions above, the "i'm not worthy"  ( which considering what a good player you are, that would be nonsense.)

Or is it something else?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I had to drop out due to a very long house move but I will be back soon
    i really enjoy it. And not only do I have to work it also gives me loads of other people's ideas to listen to
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    @kin It's basically a self conscious thing.  I'm a bedroom player and have only ever done a handful of gigs so the SotM is as close as I get to putting my music "out there" for wider consumption.  Having the backing track supplied almost feels like a bit of a shield.  Putting original stuff out there means there's nothing to hide behind.

I'd also say I'm in the "I'm not worthy" camp too as I'm very self critical of my playing.

On the flip side, I also know that any feedback will be constructive as everyone here is very supportive of others efforts.

I basically need to zip up the man-suit, write a riff and send it in!  

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I know exactly how you feel but since its my first time, if its rubbish I can say "its because its my first time" rather than "its because I'm rubbish".
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    They're one of them things I just never get round to doing, I probably should try though as I find that sort of thing makes me play/gives me a purpose rather than aimless noodling. Perhaps I'll give the next one a shot. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2090
    Dont underestimate your own ability, for a start, I would say most people who cant play a note on guitar would love to be able to !....I know lots of folks who are desperate to be able to play but just cant seem to get it together.

Get your first riffs in....just try a few simple picked chords with some delay or something, you might be surprised what can pop out !   Think Sex Pistols Pretty Vacant...do simple riffs get any better !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 748
    If I can enter the competitions at my level of ability, then anyone can. I enjoy it because it makes me do something different to what I'd usually do and it taught me a great deal about recording. I also don't gig, never did, so it's a way of getting my music out there and have some feedback.

Ultimately its fun and I enter the composition challenge whenever I can.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Plus everybody thinks their own playing is boring and predictable because it's based on years of listening to their own playing. It may be new and innovative to someone hearing it for the first time
    btw its pretty gentle. A bit of constructive criticism but no savages ...
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    What! 

People actually make music on here? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I often run out of time after having a few run throughs. Last month was the first time in ages I'd submitted an entry and I got lucky. Previously I'd only ever had a handful of votes so it's definitely worth the perseverance.

There are some top drawer players around here so it'd be great to hear more entries. I'd particularly like to hear some stuff from @Clarky @viz @bucket etc. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• So...which DOES sound better?  Single ply or 3 ply scratchplates?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My time just got freed up a lot, so after about a 10 year span of having almost no time for playing I'm going to be entering more comps, more often.  Before the big 10 year span I was playing over 100 gigs a year and had worked every kind of gig, solo guitar, acoustic duo, bass in a rock trio, lead in a 5 piece rock band etc....., now I just have to see if I can get my playing up to where it was, it does need work and seeing as I don't want to gig for the time being this gives me something to work toward.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• vizviz Frets: 10719
    I often run out of time after having a few run throughs. Last month was the first time in ages I'd submitted an entry and I got lucky. Previously I'd only ever had a handful of votes so it's definitely worth the perseverance.

There are some top drawer players around here so it'd be great to hear more entries. I'd particularly like to hear some stuff from @Clarky @viz @bucket etc. 
    Me too!!! 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.