Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Prototype Build

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27602
    Are you making it for yourself?

It'd be easier to spray another solid coat over the top if you really don't like the grain after a few weeks/months than it would be to strip it all of you decide that hiding that grain really was a terrible decision.

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16710
    It's going to be sold when done, but no one except me is calling the shots on it.

i have promised someone first dibs and if they had a preference it might swing it given my stalemate.

i think I may need to do a tint before the gold to see.  The clean sycamore colour won't suit the style 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    It's looking great, but I can see why you might not want to hide the top.  Perhaps you can make it look like a stripped goldtop, sort of a refinished look.
    Yeah, I am sticking with the "no bursts" promise on page 1 but the stripped look has been on my mind since page 2.

i still think it's a simple decision at heart. Let's see if I can pull off the difficult but mostly authentic  gold top paint Steve let me have.  If I can't the decision is made for me and I will be happy with it.

i also have my green epi I keep thinking about refinishing, so I will get a gold top out of this even if it's with the next formulation of the goldtop paint :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    What about an all cherry top, I saw a factory refinish of a 54 that was done that way in 68 i think and it looked bloody good to me

Can't remember if it was for hank Williams but look it up
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's certainly not a terrible idea.  There are some 50's factory cherry guitars, factory refins and a few others out there.
    I started with the gold.

after lots of shaking it was still a bit spluttery, so lots more shaking and i did the first coat - the flame doesn't want to go and i almost think @GSPBASSES is onto something with translucent gold

second coat

Its definitely awkward paint to use and there were a few near misses with splutter.  I cleaned the nozzle  with thinners between passes and gave the can another shake each time.   3 passes from alternate directions makes a coat 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    That looks great, I'm so glad you at least gave it a try, a splash of lacquer will see it right methinks....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I started with the gold.

after lots of shaking it was still a bit spluttery, so lots more shaking and i did the first coat - the flame doesn't want to go and i almost think @GSPBASSES is onto something with translucent gold

Its definitely awkward paint to use and there were a few near misses with splutter.  I cleaned the nozzle  with thinners between passes and gave the can another shake each time.   3 passes from alternate directions makes a coat 
    It does take a few coats to cover. Any more than 10% pigment and you get problems with crazing. 

As for the spluttering it's due to the pigments not being sufficiently dispersed. I've taken advice on this and have a solution that I'll be implementing in the next few weeks.

It's looking pretty good though!
    I'd put a clear coat over it now.  I think it looks great with that bit of flame showing through.  Perhaps a touch of amber in the clear just to darken it slightly.  I also am a great fan of Darkback goldtops, but I guess that's not going to be the look that you're after.
    Yeah, I am happy with the way it's going on now I have got it sufficiently mixed.

The colour is spot on
    tFB Trader
    Don't forget to spray the last coat lightly so the flakes stand proud then dust on the first couple of coats of clear so as not to wet the gold.
    the top got a light tint which really bought it to life.   I decided to scrape back the binding whilst its all nice and fresh.

a few parts carefully laid in place

0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Oh very nice. 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Get's a Wowser from me too.

I had hoped you wouldn't succumb to the 'Flame Police'.....this is looking wonderful.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Very nice indeed Wez!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Correct decision - looks great...
    Good place to stop.  It is looking excellent, though I did like the translucent gold.
    PhilKing said:
    Good place to stop.  It is looking excellent, though I did like the translucent gold.
    It wasn't really consistent enough to stick with.  I think it would be quite a hard look to achieve on purpose, at least with spray cans

Oh very nice. 
    If the new formulation doesn't work out you should still make this available.  Just with a load of caveats that this isn't for the faint hearted.  Having used your burgundy mist and Pelham blue metallics, this is a lot trickier.

if you can make it more user friendly, even better, but I will be wanting more of this ;)