Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buyers that stop responding to messages

What's Hot
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. On the 25th of August I listed a few guitars for sale on the forum. Within an hour I had two members say they wanted a couple of the guitars and asked me to mark them as sold. 1 of the members said he was on holiday unitl the 3rd of September but said he'd come and collect and pay as soon as he was back. Ive sent a pm a few days ago asking when he will collect and although Ive seen the member has been active numerous times since he is yet to respond the pm.
The other member seems to have completely messed me about for nearly 2 weeks now and has completley ignored text messages and pm's for last few days. Both members have good feedback so I cant figure out the behaviour. Should I list the guitars for sale again? and leave feedback on the members? Any advice would be appreciated or if an admin could contact me to find out who the members are to possibly meadiate that would be great.
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think for some reason some people find it difficult to say “sorry I changed my mind” so they think radio silence is a good substitute for common courtesy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, been really frustrated at the lack of courtesy. Its totally alien to me to make a deal and back out of it but if I absolutley had to for any reason i'd at least have the balls to say so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    Was your listing pre R8 frenzy? If yes, then I could make a guess what's happened.

As a rule, I don't list anything as sold, until it's sold - as in payment has been made. There are too many tire kickers around to do it any other way unless you know the person.

It's pretty rude to just ignore someone; esp after you've reached out to the seller and requested they put something aside for you. Just confess that you've had second thoughts/the car's died/ your significant other broke all your fingers after your last unplanned purchase etc. It's called politeness and it doesn't cost a thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep! I just thought the one member couldn't collect as he was on holiday so I'd save it for him and the other member just stalled from the begining saying he didn't know if he would collect or courier then I even offered to deliver it- Silence! should I re list?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    Definitely re-list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    Sadly this is typical forum behaviour. Probably a small minority, but common enough that there's definitely a pattern.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27762
    There was a thread here recently about how sellers unfairly treated would-be buyers, and just sold to the first person to put up the cash, even if someone else had said "I'll buy it" (or words to the effect of) first.

This is the flipside to that thread.

It's also another reason why I'm keen to get back to a more community-based focus in the Classifieds.  Before the days of Classifieds-only users and bedroom flippers, buyers and sellers here *tended* to know, or know of, each other.  Anyone who repeatedly reneged on deals would soon get a reputation and would be shunned.

The equivalent to the feedback section was also used more actively and people were proud of their feedback stats.  Nowadays, leaving feedback seems to be the exception rather than the rule and - in many cases - it's not a particularly useful as a guide to someone's Classifieds behaviour.

If someone says "I'll buy it" and then doesn't, or doesn't at a minimum communicate, within 24 hrs, I'd say the putative deal is off.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Sadly common.

Roll your eyes and re-list it. Not much else you can do. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I sold a pedal not long ago and had three people all want it. I kept it up as the first buyer needed some time but just kept the others in the loop as to where they were in the line, which they appreciated. No harm in keeping the listing live until payment has been made. 
  • Yes, this is what i'll be doing from now on. The lack of integraty, manners etc in people on here the last week or so has been an eye opener really. But maybe some havent had the kind of role models of how a man should present himself as I have had.
    Both the guitars are relisted and a few people are showing interest again! Thanks all!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9628
    edited September 2018
    Yes, been really frustrated at the lack of courtesy. Its totally alien to me to make a deal and back out of it but if I absolutley had to for any reason i'd at least have the balls to say so.
    Hiya mate, fellow Black Country man (im in Lower Gornal) - I share your feelings.

Ive been on this forum since the beginning, and I trully love this place. But recent dealings with some of the ‘buyers’ on here have left me really frustrated...

Im selling a Masterbuilt Tele; now, this is a lot of scratch for someone to find granted, but the low ball offers have been a joke. 

Ive been offered straight swops for average Custom Shops.

Ive had 3 people contact me last weekend... and Ive never heard from them since. Etc etc etc.

I’ll see this weekend out and then withdraw my guitar from sale.

Ive had one regular, who Ive sold repeatedly too, who has been taking advantage of my low reasonable pedal prices (and others he has bought from on here) and re-selling them on eBay, to make a profit. I wont deal with him again, or help him out...

But keep the faith ! There are some really good, trustworthy, honest and friendly souls on here.

My advice is to PM them, and have some chat. Youll soon suss out the good uns.

Re-advertise your stuff mate. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes mate, have readvertised! had a load of pm's and texts from both of them. Saying definitley want this, just figuring out when i can collect etc etc... both seemed really genuine. I'm not even going to name and shame, they'll know who they are.
    @Wazmeister ;
    PM me the details please.
  • What you describe OP is definitely not on but Waz’s advice is good.

My experience has been broadly positive with only one notable flipper/dealer in the way way distant past.

As a buyer, I commit and give dates by which I’ll action a deal. If I were to not meet those dates I would not have any problem with a seller moving on.

Id have a bigger problem with myself for not meeting a commitment to a fellow member!

ive only had one case of a buyer having remorse, they PMd me straight away and I had no problem with it - it’s a slight hassle but they had the courtesy to tell me so all is good.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/

• Id have a bigger problem with myself for not meeting a commitment to a fellow member!

This is what I don't understand. I run a business and do deals everyday within that business. I've never backed out of a deal even if it looked like in hindsight I might actually be out of pocket and I've never had anyone else back out of a deal either. So it's just been an eye opener really dealing with a different kind of person that hides behind the internet. I find it really pathetic to be honest but these sort of people are actually out there. But anyway I have sold a few things on this forum over the last couple of weeks and all the other buyers have been great!
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2018
    Hey Wonderland. My ears are burning. Sorry to break your beautifully woven narrative, that of the dishonorable cad 'hiding behind the internet' etc, but the truth is that having just bought an R8 (see appropriate thread) as well as a new EGC, and dealing with a other more important (and shock horror, non-guitar related) things in real life, this relatively low price deal didnt figure that highly on my list of priorities. My apologies that I didnt immediately drop everything and give you my full attention when you sent a string of inconveniently timed messages. I was planning on getting back in touch this weekend to try and sort out courier details and all that boring shit when the mood took me and I had a few moments, but I think perhaps that moment has now passed. Oh yeah -  GLWTS

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh yeah -
  • Hey Wonderland. My ears are burning. Sorry to break your beautifully woven narrative, that of the dishonorable cad 'hiding behind the internet' etc, but the truth is that having just bought an R8 (see appropriate thread) as well as a new EGC, and dealing with a other more important (and shock horror, non-guitar related) things in real life, this relatively low price deal didnt figure that highly on my list of priorities. My apologies that I didnt immediately drop everything and give you my full attention when you sent a string of inconveniently timed messages. I was planning on getting back in touch this weekend to try and sort something out when the mood took me and I had a few moments, but I think perhaps that moment has now passed. Oh yeah -  GLWTS

Classy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
     this relatively low price deal didnt figure that highly on my list of priorities. 
    Wow.

I'm really lost for any more words.  You've been here a while @bloodeagle.  I thought you were part of the community.  That's not an attitude that I would like the forum to be associated with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • You could at least give me a Wow! on the actual post tbh
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.