The Dirt

What's Hot

Comments

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Licking piss off the floor thats real rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I really enjoyed it!

I was never a fan of them until I read the book, which must be 20 years ago now?! But some of their stuff is pretty damn good in a fun and never to be taken seriously kind of way.

Maybe slight spoilers to follow... please don’t read if you don’t want to know anything about the film.

The film seemed to take them from initial meeting to playing big shows really quickly. I can’t remember if that’s how the book had it, but I think it spent much longer on their progression from the early days to being the “house band” as the Whiskey... It didn’t detract at all though, I thought it was a really fun film but definitely more entertainment than biopic.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    andyp said:
    The film seemed to take them from initial meeting to playing big shows really quickly. I can’t remember if that’s how the book had it, but I think it spent much longer on their progression from the early days to being the “house band” as the Whiskey... It didn’t detract at all though, I thought it was a really fun film but definitely more entertainment than biopic.
    Isn't that the nature of biopics though?  They're trying to compress decades into hours so you end up with a few little snapshots - troubled childhood, teenage rebellion, form band, record deal, success, marriage, divorce, decline, drug hell, etc...

I'd still like to see it if I ever get the chance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I enjoyed it. It flew through things (as you'd expect) but managed to make me care about a bunch of misfits that I've never appreciated. 
    They all came off reasonably well & I appreciated the credits sequences showing the band Vs actors.  

Vince's daughter nearly broke me though. 
    Philly_Q said:
    andyp said:
    Isn't that the nature of biopics though?  They're trying to compress decades into hours so you end up with a few little snapshots - troubled childhood, teenage rebellion, form band, record deal, success, marriage, divorce, decline, drug hell, etc...

I'd still like to see it if I ever get the chance.
    Yeah, I agree. It would definitely drag if they went into too much detail and the trend of films all being 2.5hrs or more now is crap. It was pretty spot on at 1hr50m or so.
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    Worst band in history.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

I enjoyed it. It flew through things (as you'd expect) but managed to make me care about a bunch of misfits that I've never appreciated. 
    They all came off reasonably well & I appreciated the credits sequences showing the band Vs actors.  

Vince's daughter nearly broke me though. 
    Absolutely agree with all of this! It was brilliantly done and that was a tough scene.

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 1001
    edited March 2019
    Anyone else nerdy enough to notice that when they first practised together (1981) Mick pulled out the boot of his car what appeared to be a Marshall MG series cab (only made from 1999 onwards)? Stop getting Marshall wrong.

Also what was with the epiphone les paul? Pretty sure he used an actual gibson.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Keiko said:
    Anyone else nerdy enough to notice that when they first formed Mick was using what appeared to be a Marshall MG series 4x12 cab? Stop getting Marshall wrong.

Yeah and he definitely played 11s but I'm pretty sure those strings in the film are 10s. Talk about gaffs!
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1001
    Simon_M said:
    Keiko said:
    Anyone else nerdy enough to notice that when they first formed Mick was using what appeared to be a Marshall MG series 4x12 cab? Stop getting Marshall wrong.

Yeah and he definitely played 11s but I'm pretty sure those strings in the film are 10s. Talk about gaffs!
    Well I wasn't going to go there, but yeah that completely ruined the whole thing for me. They were ernie ball too, instead of d'addario. Just ridiculous.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Watched it last night. Overall was good, faithful to the book. They did miss out a lot of Mick Mar's sections it seems.. 
    Vince's daughter bit was really tough though liked the end sequences. 

Been a Cruel fan for a long time, saw them on farewell tour. I also liked the Corabi album. :)
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited March 2019
    Watched it last night thanks to this board. When I told my wife I was going to watch it she turned her nose up, but after a few minutes she decided to watch it with me.

She didn't take kindly to my suggestion that we re-enact some of the scenes, though.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    Dumb film, dumb band. But that is what you expected with them

I read the book and it was about the same.

Throwaway and fun.

I met Mr Sixx about 12 years ago and we the nicest bloke, invited my mate to their show that night and got him backstage.

Even though I think their music is rubbish, I have respect for them after meeting him and talking to him.

Good watch for a Saturday night with a few beers / lines etc 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Loads of little errors are being picked up. Records in nikkis room that were not out. Wearing a judge dredd shirt in 1978.
    Vince Neil hitting notes. Any notes. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Watched last night. Enjoyed it overall. I had no idea about Vince's crash that killed the chap from Hanoi Rocks or the fact he lost his Daughter to cancer, absolutely heartbreaking. 

And Nikki Sixx still being alive is some sort of miracle. 

Not bothered about the timeline errors, don't watch that closely to care, so didn't detract from the viewing. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2413
    Loved how Tommy just came across as being a big kid.

But if any band ever personified karma... it would be these guys. The way they treated people, and their attitude... boy, it sure came back to bite them on the arse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7013
    Watched this last night with Mrs Cols.  30 seconds in... yeah, not one to watch with the kiddies.  If Mrs Cols wasn’t already a massive Motley Crue fan and fully aware of their shenanigans I suspect I would’ve got a massive boot up the hole.  Lots of gratuitous nudity.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I enjoyed The Dirt a lot more than Bohemian Rhapsody.  It seamed to be a lot more honest than BR and the timeline errors were not as shockingly poor.  
  • ColsCols Frets: 7013
    I enjoyed The Dirt a lot more than Bohemian Rhapsody.  It seamed to be a lot more honest than BR and the timeline errors were not as shockingly poor.  
    I think a lot of the timeline errors in Bohemian Rhapsody were intentional for dramatic effect.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285

Watched it yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing Ramsey Bolton playing Mick Mars felt strange at first, but he did a pretty good job.

Agreed, the opening scene is definitely not for kids, but it is extremely funny, as was the scene with Ozzy. 

Laugh, love, live, learn.