DALEKS

What's Hot

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    I'm really not comfortable with dolls for some reason.
    If you let a bit of the air out you can make them more comfortable....

Thanks, that's a top tip. I bought a cardboard one but it just wasn't cut out for that sort of thing.
    The cardboard ones dig in too much - and you don't get a good 'o' face on them...

I'll make a note of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Dr Who never scared me, but I started watching horror films at an early age. The werewolf film with Oliver Reed disturbed me when I watched it aged about 11. I think because he got shot at the end, possibly by his own father. Loved horror films after that though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72560
    I never found the original Daleks scary - they were too obviously made from plywood, bits of sink plunger and Morris Minor, and being unable to go up stairs made them pretty pathetic really.

But the CGI one in the Christopher Eccleston 'Dalek' episode was something else entirely - finally, it became the unstoppable killing machine they were always meant to be. Sadly they later blew it by making them too mundane, and then multicoloured…

The early Cybermen did scare me though. The new ones, less so - although the episode where they're invisible in the glass tanks until the water is drained out was quite good.

Weeping Angels are probably the best of the new monsters.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Sea devils for me.  We used to rent a holiday home by the sea when I was a nipper and I was convinced they would come out of the Solent and get me while I was asleep. 

Wasnt overly keen on the Sontaran back in the Tom Baker days, either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I was never that scared by any TV monsters, but I remember reading a story about a ghost you could only see in a mirror, that had me terrified of mirrors for a while.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Nothing scares me.

Apart from clowns. They're evil cunts.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Yes Sea Devils scared me too 
     Now they operate mainly off the coast of Somalia
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    proggy said:

Yeah, he's another scary little fucker. I'm really not comfortable with dolls for some reason.
    It's an Uncanny Valley thing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    ICBM said:
    I never found the original Daleks scary - they were too obviously made from plywood, bits of sink plunger and Morris Minor, and being unable to go up stairs made them pretty pathetic really.

But the CGI one in the Christopher Eccleston 'Dalek' episode was something else entirely - finally, it became the unstoppable killing machine they were always meant to be. Sadly they later blew it by making them too mundane, and then multicoloured…

The early Cybermen did scare me though. The new ones, less so - although the episode where they're invisible in the glass tanks until the water is drained out was quite good.

Weeping Angels are probably the best of the new monsters.

I have an old Dr Who special magazine from the 1970s somewhere, I think it was a BBC/Radio Times thing. It lists all the episodes up until then - plots, actors, scriptwriters etc, and a few in-depth articles like an interview with Terry Nation and an illustrated Dalek short story. Also in there are detailed plans on how to build a Dalek, presumably from the BBC props department. The lights on top of the head are indicators from a Ford Anglia or something.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Dr Who baddies not so much, but Zelda from Terrahawks....I would rip that bitch puppet apart if I saw it these days for repeatedly scaring the crap out of me as a kid!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Daleks were never a problem for me, but yeti's in underground tunnels (patrick troughton as Dr who) made me scared. I was a little nipper back then. I also remember being a bit freaked out by the sea Devils, and especially by an auton/master episode with Pertwee Where a small clay man came alive when heated and strangled some guy in his car.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3001
    As a kid -Blue Meanies
    As an (alleged) Adult - Paul McCartney

Also, the Gerald Scarfe imagery in The Wall was pretty scary.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • The Sontarans emerging from the sea back in the 70's freaked me out. Nasty banana-headed freaks!!!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited April 2017
    Daleks are awesome…
    the best baddies ever in anything

edit: apart from The Shadows in Babylon 5 cos they were awesome too
    play every note as if it were your first
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    Always just thought they looked like shit amusement park decorations.  The kind of thing you see on a trailer at Blackpool.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    The Sontarans emerging from the sea back in the 70's freaked me out. Nasty banana-headed freaks!!!
    I don't remember the Sontarans coming out of the sea? The Sea devils certainly did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72560

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited April 2017
    it was those Wasp Men vrs Giant Antoids that got me shitting my shorts

https://i0.wp.com/www.waspmen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/The_Web_Planet____.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Jimmy Saville used to creep me out as a kid.

Turns out it wasn't just me.....

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi