What's your job and do you enjoy it? I'm sick of mine...

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4332
    Budgie said:
    Crikey, there's a large number of IT people and boffins on here! I love the word 'boffin'. :)
    :) Boffin is a good word, to be fair.

As re. numbers, it's a huge and varied industry - I meet people from time to time who, bizarrely, think we're still limited to a few dozen nerdy types sat in their bedrooms hunched over a BBC Micro.

Either that or people try and pair you off socially with other IT types like you're single and looking to hook up; it's well-meaning and all, but as a consequence I got introduced to a C# developer at a wedding once who wanted to spend the whole afternoon discussing the best way to write a factory pattern, instead of hitting the free bar like everyone else there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28866
    randella said:

Either that or people try and pair you off socially with other IT types like you're single and looking to hook up
    "Ah - you two will have a lovely time speaking Nerdlish to each other!"

"Erm... he's a developer, I design data centres"

"There you go, straight into your common mother tongue..."
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26889
    randella said:

Either that or people try and pair you off socially with other IT types like you're single and looking to hook up;
    There's a third possibility - they gather their friends round and proudly announce that they'd cornered somebody who "knows computers", at which point every one of them gets to unload on you about how their computers don't work, how the entire industry is designed just to make money off poor innocent folk like themselves, and by the way...could you fix their computer on the cheap?
    <space for hire>
  • There's a fourth possibility!

'Oh, you're in IT? I've been having this problem with my laptop...(goes on to explain problem and expects you to fix it....now)'

Fuck. Off.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33860
    I used to work in IT but left it to become a musician/engineer/producer type, which I did for about 10 years full time.

These days I'm a self-employed property developer/landlord- it gives me a lot of free time which allows me to do music and some guitar building.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    "Network design" for a mobile operator, working on the data core. I really can't come round to the idea that we're helping people by getting them addicted to a device which runs/ruins their lives. I don't think it's the industry, I've just come to a point in my life where I'm asking "Why aren't I doing something worthwhile?".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    blobb said:

I used to fix sewage works.

Then I learnt how to design sewage works that don't need fixing, which I though would be a useful attribute. 

Turns out it's not. So I'm now sat in a cold site cabin, trying to fix sewage works. Apart from we haven't built this one yet, so it doesn't need fixing yet.

But it will need fixing, I'm pretty sure of that.

Nice. Sounds like a Magnus Mills novel, a la "The Restraint of Beasts".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I really can't come round to the idea that we're helping people by getting them addicted to a device which runs/ruins their lives.
    Only some people. For a lot of us a smartphone is a genuinely useful tool, helping us find places, check facts, test and measure, all in something that fits into a pocket. It's considerably beyond what 80s sci-fi films thought we'd be able to do in a hundred years.

Though Two Dots has a lot to answer for regarding my productivity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Budgie said:
    Crikey, there's a large number of IT people and boffins on here! I love the word 'boffin'. :)
    On the internet in the middle of the day on a Monday I don't think it's that surprising. 

I'm a job seeker and whilst the hours are good it isn't as low stress as you might imagine and the pay is terrible. So, I probably don't recommend that to the OP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I no longer have a 'job' but I am working full time.

Set up my own company very recently and currently doing consulting and contracting, showing companies how they can use machine learning to enrich their data 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    I run a few laboratories at a Uni. Basically I have to ensure everything works, train people to do things properly and safely, and then watch them do the exact opposite because they know better than me because they have a PhD, or think they deserve one. Then I pick up the pieces ready for the next user. Some good people, some good times but mostly fed up these days.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Left school at 17. First job was in a paint factory. Eventually got an apprenticeship with an accountancy firm, studying for exams in the evenings. Am 51 now and head of tax for a multinational property company. It's well paid and only occasionally stressful but I've had no career progression for 10 years. I'm honestly bored but do it because I've 2 kids at private school and another at university. There are worse things than being bored....(I keep telling myself)....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I'm currently a management accountant in the energy industry. Been doing the same role for 5 years and did almost the exact same role for another 5 years in my last place. 

Whilst on holiday this year I had a major realisation that I needed to get away from the month end grind, the exact same routine month in month out. On Monday you do this task, on Tuesday you do that task....

When I got back from holiday there was an internal vacancy for a more diverse analytical/forecasting role in a more intereating part of the business. The rest is history. I start tomorrow :) 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I'm a substance misuse practitioner (drug worker) it's a good job, lots of challenges, but not much progression, the team I work with are my genuine friends, and theres no deadlines or pressure from the service, and they're quite flexible.  
    The money is pretty average, but the holidays are very good (33 days a year), I thought that was pretty standard till I met my girlfriend who works for the private sector for rentokil and they only get 24!so I def count my lucky stars, 
    24's not bad. 20 is pretty standard.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 234
    proggy said:

I'm a printer, I operate a Heidelberg press.

Sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes I don't.

Same here - on of the few left. Just moved from 12 col Heidelberg XL105 to 10 KBA Rapida 106. Good days and bad days like most jobs.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I'm a lift engineer. 

It has its ups and downs 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    I'm a games developer.
    One day I might get a proper job.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    sw67 said:
    proggy said:

I'm a printer, I operate a Heidelberg press.

Sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes I don't.

Same here - on of the few left. Just moved from 12 col Heidelberg XL105 to 10 KBA Rapida 106. Good days and bad days like most jobs.

That's a big press. I'm just running a 2 col Quickmaster, right pain in the neck sometimes.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7268
    I left London and 'the city' in 2006 and moved to Dorset. Funnily enough there were no jobs here for moneybrokers so I volunteered at a few worthy causes whilst I worked out what I wanted to do.

Luckily a local mental health charity where I helped them out with some IT bits asked me if I wanted a part time job. I now work 30 hours a week there for not a lot of money but with a lot of variety and with some really nice people. No 2 days are the same, some can be heartbreaking but most of the time you feel really proud of the work the charity does and your small part in it.

I could really do with winning the lottery though as I can't afford to do half the things I used to !