Well that United Airlines thing has pissed me off...

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    I often fly my own between zürich and london... I nearly always book an early flight and always volunteer to be bumped. It's been a good money earner over the years.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I really don't understand why they're allowed to oversell in the first place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86 said:

It's largely the consumer's fault. 

People demand low flight prices but that results in losses. To help make it up, they overbook and hope people won't make it. If they do they pay out a bit - but I'd imagine the model accommodates that. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6180
    BRISTOL86 said:

People demand low flight prices but that results in losses. To help make it up, they overbook and hope people won't make it. If they do they pay out a bit - but I'd imagine the model accommodates that. 
    How can you place fault with the consumer?

Every ticketed service would have the same problem if that were true. But only airlines deliberately set up a system where overbooking is made easy (but not revealed to the customer at purchase, and only shown shortly before departure!). And they routinely try to sell more seats than they have available.

It's a cash grab, pure and simple.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27175
    boogieman said:
    randella said:
    boogieman said:
    I don't understand the principle either. They've had the money upfront for the seat. If the airline is then having to fork out more money to compensate people that they're bumping, isn't that leaving them out of pocket? 
    As far as I understand it, they're playing the percentages.  If they have to pay out £500 to keep one person sweet for every three people who don't turn up for their £200 flights, they're still £100 in the black.

It's gouging, pure and simple, but they're all at it.
    I can see that just about works, although it seems a bit shortsighted. In the case the other day though presumably the staff weren't paying for the seats, so they've pissed passengers off AND lost money. 
    On this flight yes, but on most flights they'll try and sell that extra £600 quids worth of seats AND not have to bump anyone, so they pocket the whole lot. If only one fligt in 10 results in bumpage then thats good business.

It will always happen unless the practice is banned, or the airlines with the lowest margins all go bust. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    When I used to fly to the States it was know as United Arseholes. The only time I flew with them we made it as far as the apron before a big thunderstorm hit .. after it went by we returned to the stand and we were left sitting round for 12 hours until they said there was a fault with the plane. Turned out it was to do with staff rotas. Got stranded in Washington for an extra night.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    goldtop said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

How can you place fault with the consumer?

Every ticketed service would have the same problem if that were true. But only airlines deliberately set up a system where overbooking is made easy (but not revealed to the customer at purchase, and only shown shortly before departure!). And they routinely try to sell more seats than they have available.

It's a cash grab, pure and simple.
    Absolutely. Imagine turning up to a concert or sporting event that accommodates 10,000 to be told 'sorry we sold 12,000 tickets sp we could make more money and hoped 2,000 of you wouldn't turn up'. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    Also, being a Sunday flight a lot of passengers are probably expected to turn up for work the next day. Imagine having to explain to your boss that you're late because you actually VOLUNTEERED to be bumped.

My understanding is that the four aircrew only showed up at the gate at the last moment after everybody else had been seated.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    Overselling is partially because they sell a percentage of tickets as fully refundable if cancelled, usually to business types at higher fares, so they run the risk of a flight going from profit to loss almost at the point of departure. As they have very good info on behaviours, they have a good idea of how many folks won't show and it seems rare anyone heard about it. In this case though so much has gone wrong it's painful.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6180
    Lest we pluckers forget, it's not just your face that's at risk with United:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12410
    HAL9000 said:
    Also, being a Sunday flight a lot of passengers are probably expected to turn up for work the next day. Imagine having to explain to your boss that you're late because you actually VOLUNTEERED to be bumped.

My understanding is that the four aircrew only showed up at the gate at the last moment after everybody else had been seated.
    In which case the off duty crew should have been made to get a later flight; it wasn't the passengers' fault. Apparently the on duty crew asked for volunteers to get off, then when they only got two they selected other people at random. WTF? I bet the Chinese guy's lawyers have a field day with these scumbags, on all sorts of layers. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    boogieman said:

I bet the Chinese guy's lawyers have a field day with these scumbags, on all sorts of layers. 
    According to a post on Airliners.net the doctor has now hired one of the best personal injury and aviation-related lawyers in Chicago, where he is still in hospital. I expect this is going to cost the airline millions and may well change the rules for the industry too... rightly so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    The problem was that he didn't respect their authoritah...  The yanks love strutting it with a sidearm or a nightstick and flexing their authoritah.  If you don't respect it, you're gonna get a beating.  The police and security companies must be magnets for the unhinged and tiny-penised. 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My V key is broken
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15612
    Emp_Fab said:
    The problem was that he didn't respect their authoritah...  The yanks love strutting it with a sidearm or a nightstick and flexing their authoritah.  If you don't respect it, you're gonna get a beating.  The police and security companies must be magnets for the unhinged and tiny-penised. 

application in the post is it?

EDIT: not that I'm saying you have a tiny penis.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Typical CEO megalomaniac initial response, until someone had a word in his ear. I wonder if he would like to be filmed being dragged out of his home or office, in front of his own family (workers would likely cheer thinking about it) and have that stuck on the internet.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Serious question. What I don't understand is why was it that guy in particular? Out of a plane full of people, assuming they won't remove anyone travelling in a group so that weens all those out. So maybe at the very least a third of the commuters would have been solo travellers? Why just that one guy? 

From what I've read, UA offered 3 passengers $200 and a hotel stay for 3/4 passengers to get off the plane. Nobody took them up on it, so they increased it to $500. Again, no takers. So they got a computer to pick 3/4 random names and forcibly remove them (presumably with the promise of $500 and a hotel stay).
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    It wasn't cash though, just vouchers that were as good as worthless due to the way they could be redeemed.