The *Official* FretBoard Celebrity Fat Club Weigh In and Diet thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If I may...

Upping my runs to 2 per week and distance from 5 to 10k.
    Do this.

Stopping eating shit in the evening
    Do this.

Cutting out booze.

Do this.

Partial fasting (no eating between 7pm and 1pm the next day)
    Do not do this. You'll burn out really quickly and you'll return to your shitty diet, cravings will be crazy, and generally you'll be setting yourself up to fail. Don't change the times that you eat, just change what you eat. For breakfast instead of sugar laden cereals or breakfast bars, eat a banana and two slices of toast for example.

Also counter intuitively but a beans+egg+toast English breakfast has been shown to fill you for longer in the mornings, thus preventing you from snacking throughout the early part of the day. If you can find the time, it really isn't a bad breakfast. If you want to be uber anal about it (I'm not) remove the egg yolks and just have egg whites.

Fasting does burn fat, but in my experience it makes it harder to sustain a change in your lifestyle - which is what losing weight is. It's a change in lifestyle, and it should be a permanent one. Which is why it's mostly down to exercise and diet, rather than quick fixes like intermittent fasting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    If I may...

Do this.

Do this.

Cutting out booze.

Do this.

Do not do this. You'll burn out really quickly and you'll return to your shitty diet, cravings will be crazy, and generally you'll be setting yourself up to fail. Don't change the times that you eat, just change what you eat. For breakfast instead of sugar laden cereals or breakfast bars, eat a banana and two slices of toast for example.

Also counter intuitively but a beans+egg+toast English breakfast has been shown to fill you for longer in the mornings, thus preventing you from snacking throughout the early part of the day. If you can find the time, it really isn't a bad breakfast. If you want to be uber anal about it (I'm not) remove the egg yolks and just have egg whites.

Fasting does burn fat, but in my experience it makes it harder to sustain a change in your lifestyle - which is what losing weight is. It's a change in lifestyle, and it should be a permanent one. Which is why it's mostly down to exercise and diet, rather than quick fixes like intermittent fasting.
    I've been doing it for the last couple of years and it works really well for me.

It's based on something a friend of mine does called lean gains and it's definitely a lifestyle not a quick fix. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    If I may...

Do this.

Do this.

Cutting out booze.

Do this.

I've been doing it for the last couple of years and it works really well for me.

It's based on something a friend of mine does called lean gains and it's definitely a lifestyle not a quick fix. 
    Hmmm. I'm not convinced. Unless you were something like 24st a few years ago and you've got down to 16 from there - in which case I'm convinced!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    Fasting is NOT the way- the body goes on shut down and stops using calories and saves them.

Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Drew_TNBD said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:

Don't suppose you could elaborate on the training could you? 

I want strength. I was considering (when I've landed a job) joining the kelsey kerridge climbing thing, it's bouldering - so builds loads of strength without enormous muscles. I have stretch marks on my biceps from when I started doing weights at the gym, I build big muscles horribly fast
    So to allow me to work at an optimum level i need to avoid psychological barriers. Reps and numbers are all good for bulking but for me I work best when I train to failure. So for instance what ill do in a  session is focus on one particular body area and pair it with its opposite muscle group (chest and back, biceps triceps, back and abs etc etc).

So after warming up light at 60kg for benchpress Ill start repping at 120Kg which is just below 80% of my one rep max. I do this to failure using the smith machine if training alone or ideally the olympic bar if trading with a partner. Then after 30secs-45secs i drop 10kg and rep again to failure, rinse and repeat all the way to an empty bar at 20kg.

This ends up looking pathetic, but who cares. i then rest for a few minutes and do reverse incline press, and other such exercises before swapping to my back.

this really makes my weight sessions physically exhausting and i enjoy the endorphin rush i get from them.

is that helpful?

Perfectly explained. 

I suspect that'd bulk me up a bit more than I'd like, but I can't say I've ever done it before. 

Edit: ex army. Do you really think I'm daft enough to say you look pathetic? :) 
    I got one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008TOZY32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I followed this:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

I couldn't do ANY pull ups back in January, and I didn't have it with me in March when I was in Japanland. So I'd guess I've been doing Scooby's process for a total of about 3 weeks, but spread out since I got it mid-Jan. I'm now up to 10 pull ups, which actually feels like a real achievement as silly as it sounds!!

I'm a weakling and always have been, and it's only been the last two years that I even took any interest in my body. It's been both depressing and revealing. I'm getting stronger, but I just have very terrible eating and drinking habits - it's basically a coping mechanism for stress and depression. I need a better solution.

Same here. 

I'll have a look at that, thanks mate. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24285
    I did the 5:2 fasting thing.

It worked - but it also required getting another couple of hours sleep before and after the fast day. Otherwise there wasn't enough energy to get through.

Any time I didn't get the needed sleep I was in very poor shape even for desk work by the end of the day.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5168
    Post Easter update...it's worse than I thought 14st 2!! bugger that's post Christmas weight..I'm never usually over 14st 
    Right that's it..mega bike ride tonight...No booze until I see 12st on the scales  :s :'(
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5168
    I did the 5:2 fasting thing.

It worked - but it also required getting another couple of hours sleep before and after the fast day. Otherwise there wasn't enough energy to get through.

Any time I didn't get the needed sleep I was in very poor shape even for desk work by the end of the day.
    I tried 5.2 but couldn't get through the day without hallucinating  :s it did work though but bloody hard unless your sat behind a desk I imagine 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    One of the guys from my local gym has gone from 24 stone to 19 stone in 18m months through lifestyle changes. He's cut out all the junk food and now eats fruit/veg/leaner meat. He also now goes to the gym, although he's doing weights but, interestingly, no aerobic work. He fits this in with 4 kidney dialysis treatments a week. Seriously impressive results.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Current weight: 22 stone (down from 25.5 recently)

Target weight: 20 stone (then hopefully a bit more ? )

Eat less crap, extend the dog walks, maybe some extra exercise ?
    #thebatesmotelband
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Fasting is NOT the way- the body goes on shut down and stops using calories and saves them.

I'm not doing 5 and 2  or all day fasting I'm restricting when i eat to certain hours of the day which is almost what you suggest but shifted in time.

I actively hate eating in the morning it's only when i rejected the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" advice that i started losing weight. 

tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Hmmm. I'm not convinced. Unless you were something like 24st a few years ago and you've got down to 16 from there - in which case I'm convinced!

When i started doing it I went down about three stone in six months and then stopped making much effort (drinking, chocolate, takeaways) but still continued to maintain for a couple of years within a few pounds even despite that. 

Since Christmas I've been working in a different office which has stopped me following my schedule and I've put on 9 pounds in 4 months. 

Any time i mention what i do people line up to tell me it's wrong, but it's worked for me better than the dozens of other things I've tried so I'm quite happy. 
    I can point you to a load of books that suggest it's a good idea and loads that say it's a terrible idea which leads me to two conclusions:

A: 50% of everything written about dieting is bollocks but it's impossible to know which half. 
    B: everyone is different and what works for some people doesn't work for others.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    David R

This morning I weighed 19s 11lbs
    My first objective is to drop below 19s which if successful I would like to continue over several months to get to around 17s
    I intend to be a little more focussed about getting to the gym three times a week [weight training - basic exercises 8 - 10 reps] because when I do this I generally feel better about myself and am therefore more likely to be more disciplined about portion size which I think is the key to me changing my eating behaviour and my relationship with food ...

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    97kg currently 
    75/80kg target 

not fussed what the numbers are, just wanna look good naked. 

less calories overall 
    as much body weight exercises as I can think of using pull up bar and trx at home, cardio to include 30mins 

up my protein intake
    cut my carbs
    up my veggies. 
    up my water

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

up my water

If there's one thing I consistently fail at diet wise it's that.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    monquixote said:
    I actively hate eating in the morning it's only when i rejected the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" advice that i started losing weight. 

Food timing has been disproven in the last few years- it doesn't matter when you eat the calories.
    The thing about eating a large breakfast, moderate lunch and small dinner is it does work if you stick to it, because ultimately you are eating fewer calories than you otherwise would.
    You could just as easily eat the same number of calories spread throughout the day but some people find that hard to maintain.
    Find what works for you and do that.

I ate a decent breakfast (cereal, fruit), small lunch (various soups and salad, or a sandwich) and decent sized dinner (anything from stir fry, to tangines, to meat and 3 veg) and I lost weight- 3 stone in the last 4 years- although I ran almost every day too.
    This is awesome.

Good work by all.

Actually, I'm with Maj Thorpe in do far as I couldn't give a shit about the actual weight, but size 34 jeans perfect. I'm 38 (well...maybe 40 on some) at moment.

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Gassage said:

That works for me too, plus it means I'm less likely to pig out on snacks or order a takeaway for dinner.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

When I got down to my lowest weight, which was 3 or 4 years ago, I was 76kg. I ate sushi every lunch, exchanged crisps and chocolate for popcorn, ran 3-4km 4 times a week, and cut down but didn't completely quit beer.

I know exactly why I'm so heavy right now - a years worth of depression that I'm only just starting to crawl out of. 
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    monquixote said:

Food timing has been disproven in the last few years- it doesn't matter when you eat the calories.
    The thing about eating a large breakfast, moderate lunch and small dinner is it does work if you stick to it, because ultimately you are eating fewer calories than you otherwise would.
    You could just as easily eat the same number of calories spread throughout the day but some people find that hard to maintain.
    Find what works for you and do that.

I ate a decent breakfast (cereal, fruit), small lunch (various soups and salad, or a sandwich) and decent sized dinner (anything from stir fry, to tangines, to meat and 3 veg) and I lost weight- 3 stone in the last 4 years- although I ran almost every day too.

Yep that's it.

The best thing on health I read on health was a paper by a guy who consulted for various elite athletes on nutrition etc. He basically lived his life trying out different diets to evaluate if they could give athletes​ an edge. His conclusion was that excluding some diets that were dangerous like juice fasts etc the bulk of them were broadly the same, none of them went beyond basic physics and the most important factor was your​ ability to adhere to them for a long time.