RIP Allan Holdsworth

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Incredible innovator and player. I like his Syntax stuff, but TBH, I prefer him when he was ripping the shit out of it in his early days...

https://youtu.be/VrxLL69C718?t=3m48s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 2017
    bigjon said:
    The greatest musician of my lifetime. Guitar solo at 4:50 but the whole track is beautiful.

This is sad news.

I can't say this was my sort've thing and actually enjoyed his highly developed and rich chordal work instead but listening to this piece, I can hear all the guitarists that he influenced and who I'm familiar with but there must be lots of others - Alan Murphy, Bill Connors, Brett Garsted and the 2 Franks (Dunnery and Gambale).

And further proof that being an innovator, creative artist, genius means diddly squat when it comes to earning a living from your craft as what a sad state of affairs to be in when the family doesn't have sufficient funds for his funeral. I'm glad that's been rectified and may he RIP
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I know that with true artists its much more about the art than the remuneration.  But for such a famous & highly regarded guitarist with a career spanning over 50 years, I was saddened to read that after all that work & brilliance, Allan's net worth at the time of his death was a mere $260,000 (around £205,000).  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited April 2017
    A few years ago I tried my hand at gig promotion. I wrote a list of all the people I wanted to book. Allan's name was at the top of that list and he turned out to be the second artist I managed to put on.

He, along with Gary and Jimmy, played a hell of a set - he was the most approachable and friendly chap you could wish to meet (as were the other two) and he was completely happy to chat and engage about his gear before the show (for example: he instantly handed me his Bill DeLap guitar to play when I made a very casual inquiry about it) - I had the band of an old friend (who was also a long-term fan of Allan's) play the support slot - Gary Moore turned-up ...and we all drank into the early hours after the gig.

It was an astonishing night that I will never forget - and his untimely death has only served to put the events of that night into very sharp focus.

RIP Allan. You will be missed.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    Such sad news. 

A true musician and artist, in every sense of the words, such a creative person, he will be missed. 

But, what a fantastic musical legacy he left for us all to enjoy!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The Holdsworth family just closed the gofundme account. Greg Beaton set it up with a goal of $20K and in 4 days it raised $114,275. I think that says everything about how many people were touched by his music.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Two legends RIP

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom