The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3073
    Drewster - leave it.... it's not worth it!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    crunchman said:
    I think some of this is about giving her a stronger negotiating position in Brexit talks. 

That's the threat she is making (in almost those words in her speech) - if you don't vote for me your life will be worse, whatever you believe in.

It doesn't take much fleshing out to be dystopian sci-fi. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    quarky said:
    Given how happy certain Tory/UKIP representatives have been about jumping ship as the mood takes them (Carswell, Reckless, numerous councillors), with no subsequent effort to seek any kind of mandate for their position, I don't see this as anti-democratic in the slightest.  Parties are quite free to align their efforts when out of government, just as much as the previous Coalition proved they could do when in Government.  
    It is purposely denying the voters in those seats their choice of who to vote for. Completely authoritarian and un-democractic.
    You mean like when UKIP didn't forward a candidate of their own, and backed Zac Goldsmith in the Richmond by-election?  Damn those lefty 'kippers and their authoritarianism.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    I see this as a strengthening position for May, in her own party, in her dealings with Sturgeon and most importantly in negotiations with the EU. She can tell Junker that she has a cast iron mandate and he has no electorial mandate. The people will have spoken loudly.
    The danger is fatigue by the voters, it the people don't go out to vote on the day then the loony left or whatever minority interest groups will eat into what ought to be a significant win causing a fresh set of problems down the line.
    As ever no one party has all the right answers and even if they put them forward before the election it does not guarantee they would implement them if elected. It would probably benefit us all ultimately if as a nation we stood together at this time, I have no doubt that won't happen. The world is a changing place but in this nation too many people have no memory of what it's like to have real ambition in life or to really need to improve your lot. When you pull up at the food bank in your newish car and need dishwasher tablets there is something that doesn't taste right. I know there are many that are desparate and I don't include them in my observations.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    randella said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    randella said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    randella said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    the North... Places full of people who have had everything ripped from them since the 1970's.

That'll be why it's £6.50 for a pint of craft ale in the Northern Quarter of Manchester then, they're just trying to get back on the level  ;)
    Manchester is a city. Stands to reason you'll be financially raped by pubs there. Plus craft ale is for wankers.
    It was not so much about beer prices, more a gentle dig at you lumping in 'the North' as one homogeneous blob of whippet-owning jobless Brexit-voters.
    Where the fuck did you get that from?
    "Then there is the rest of the UK. The forgotten tribes. The Midlands, the North. Wales. Places full of people who have had everything ripped from them since the 1970's. Life has been tough, and it spans generations. "

No need for the aggression either, I was having a bit of fun.
    Aggression? Are you a giant poontang or what mate? First you stake yourself to a flat-cap like some sort of Angel of the North martyr boy, reading shit into what I said that clearly wasn't there, and then you get all shirty when I make a joke about craft ale AND THEN you have the sheer giant bollocks to claim you were just having a bit of fun - well what the fuck was I doing then, fisting myself up the arse whilst reading Mein Kampf??

Knob off!
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28230
    You mean like when UKIP didn't forward a candidate of their own, and backed Zac Goldsmith in the Richmond by-election?  Damn those lefty 'kippers and their authoritarianism.
    Indeed - but it is a standard tactic of the authoritarian right to attack their opponents' "integrity". Even if they're all doing the same thing,
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    feck, fretwired's just called it for the left, looks like it'll be a tory landslide.
    Tory this time - left in early 2020s subject to a decent Labour leader and a cull of the Blairites .... if the Lib Dems were smart they'd move further to the left and ditch Tim Farron. With Labour and Corbyn in a mess they could become the de facto opposition. However, Farron is only marginally more popular than Corbyn.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    ah my bad, so it'll be a labour win this time and a lurch to the right in 2020.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    At least this could be the end of Corbyn. Even his grass roots support will surely see the light if he gets slaughtered in an election.
    The problem with that is that this is effectively going to be a second referendum - hard Brexit, or something more mild. That's all people are going to be thinking.

Personally, I think I might be voting Lib Dem for the first time ever. May's Brexit plan seems choc-full of holes, and the thought of Corbyn at the top with nobody to stop the disaster leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth. A Lab/Lib coalition, though, might work.
    PMSL. 

In your town lol. 

Or even mine for that matter any other than Tory is a pointless vote. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    ah my bad, so it'll be a labour win this time and a lurch to the right in 2020.
    :-)

Not with Corbyn in charge. People are feeling poorer as wages are falling in real terms with inflation and increased prices due to the fall in the pound. This election will be about Brexit - the one after will be about the economy and the NHS and if there's a post Brexit economic dip the Tories could find the electorate throw them out and an elect a left leaning Labour leader as PM.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Meanwhile Sturgeon is saying it's a "huge political miscalculation."

I don't know which of those two I dislike more. :(

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I predict 
    a landslide for Putin
    Corbyn remains leader
    Drew gets banned
    Scotland request EU peacekeepers to enforce border control. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Me getting banned is almost a certainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Scotland request EU peacekeepers to enforce border control. 
    Scotland request Russian backup in the form of tanks...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30923

Jeremy Corbyn needs to understand that leadership is about outcomes and his stock is so low his only outcome is failure.

The biggest jump he can give to the Labour Polls is to resign and step aside, possibly for Owen Smith.

If he continues to lead, it literally proves he's not a leader, if that makes sense.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited April 2017
    Corbyn would make a good PM. People have been told otherwise, that's all there is to it.

How so, I hear you splutter?

The role of Prime Minister has been reframed as the role of wartime dictator, under the moniker 'leader'. He's not a strong leader... 

Hitler was a strong leader, Stalin, that podgy fella in North Korea. We don't need He Man (or woman) in 10 downing St. We need someone with a moral core. 

Meanwhile, May has been flip flopping all over the shop. There's health concerns. She looks and sounds like she's on the edge of a panic attack every time she opens her mouth. None of which seems to matter to anyone.

Rocky times ahead. People are going to be hurting big time. I'm sure the blame will somehow fall at Corbyn's feet, 15 years from now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Corbyn would make a good PM. People have been told otherwise, that's all there is to it.

How so, I hear you splutter?

The role of Prime Minister has been reframed as the role of wartime dictator, under the moniker 'leader'. He's not a strong leader... 

Hitler was a strong leader, Stalin, that podgy fella in North Korea. We don't need He Man (or woman) in 10 downing St. We need someone with a moral core. 

Meanwhile, May has been flip flopping all over the shop. There's health concerns. She looks and sounds like she's on the edge of a panic attack every time she opens her mouth. None of which seems to matter to anyone.

Rocky times ahead. People are going to be hurting big time. I'm sure the blame will somehow fall at Corbyn's feet, 15 years from now.

The blame attached to Corbyn will be that he has been completely and utterly ineffective at every level.
    7 weeks to get it together, and persuade people he has got it together is just not enough time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Drew_TNBD said:

Peppa Pig makes it cool for kids to talk like a fucking moron, 

@Drew_TNBD ;Say what you like about the political landscape, but leave Peppa alone!  If you actually watch it you'll see all the characters are extremely well-spoken, and they discuss topics that are pitched at exactly the right level for their target audience.  You'll also notice some very well-executed observations of modern life that often raise a wry smile in our household.  

As this is a first offence, I'll refrain from reporting you to my 2-year old for punishment.

(I do acknowledge however that over-exposure to PP can eventually lead to extreme psychosis in adults.  I'm fairly close to this stage, and maybe you are too.  If so, we must both cling to the hope that our kids will eventually move on to other interests in due course)
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Gassage said:

Jeremy Corbyn needs to understand that leadership is about outcomes and his stock is so low his only outcome is failure.

The biggest jump he can give to the Labour Polls is to resign and step aside, possibly for Owen Smith.

If he continues to lead, it literally proves he's not a leader, if that makes sense.

I think corbyn wants to lose. He's your ideal opposition MP, even when labour were in govt he was an oppostion MP. He likes being in opposition. As others have said, his policies are popular, he isn't. I'm guessing he's had enough of the game and wants an honourable exit.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Trude said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Peppa Pig makes it cool for kids to talk like a fucking moron, 

@Drew_TNBD Say what you like about the political landscape, but leave Peppa alone!  If you actually watch it you'll see all the characters are extremely well-spoken, and they discuss topics that are pitched at exactly the right level for their target audience.  You'll also notice some very well-executed observations of modern life that often raise a wry smile in our household.  

As this is a first offence, I'll refrain from reporting you to my 2-year old for punishment.

(I do acknowledge however that over-exposure to PP can eventually lead to extreme psychosis in adults.  I'm fairly close to this stage, and maybe you are too.  If so, we must both cling to the hope that our kids will eventually move on to other interests in due course)
    :')

This is my kind of PP:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom