The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31016
    Gassage said:
    I am totally politically homeless.

Labour have lost the plot; there's so many things they could have done to win this:
    • Corbyn steps aside and appoints Starmer
    • Starmer announces Single market debate
    • Labour publically fire Diane Abbott and make her pay for her stupidity
    • Attack May personally as she does them with no punches pulled; her image, her abysmal record in negotiation and the fact she's no experience of family life
    • Her woodenness and akwardness
    • Her and Tory financial and borrowing record
    • Her continual U turns and total lack of intergrity and consistency
    • The Exchange Rate
    • GDP
    • Inflation
    • FS leaving the UK
    • Hard brexit when it's not needed  nor was it voted for.
    May is the most wooden and ethereal 'leader' ever. Totally incosequential, no presence whatsoever, no cred outside of Tory supporters and a laughing stock abroad.
    Vote Gassage for PM!!!

I'd also attack her teeth.

If she'd got a blue one she'd have a snooker set.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Gassage said:
    Snap said:
    Hang on, who voted for Brexit? The people did.
    17m of 65m, and that didn't include leaving the Single market.
    We were given the opportunity to vote, all of us. As we all well know, 52% of those that could be arsed, voted out. Democracy in action, at its most direct.

The consequences are down to the people, no-one else.

If you are given an opporutnity to have your say (something big chunks of the world will never have), then you should make a point of finding out what you are deciding on. That is down to individual responsibility.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5181
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    Labour MPs have rejected their manifesto. Corbyn's going with it anyway. The Labour Party in Wales are issuing their own .. not yet sure about Labour in Scotland.

How much longer can Corbyn survive?
    All going swimmingly after Corbyn running-over a reporter and Len McCluskey flat on his arse all over the press then ? ;)
    The BBC guy was 'run over deliberately to smear Mr Corbyn' say Momentum .. you couldn't make this up.

While that's clearly stupid, trying to suggest that Corbyn had anything to do with the guy getting run over when he wasn't driving the car, and the guy who got run over is employed to get really close to cars with politicians in them is also bullshit.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437

@AliGorie ;

I still have capo on ignore, so only catch his latest missives when quoted by others...but I'm fairly certain when he says unionist he actually means trade unionist.  It's a bit of a thing he has going on.
    Good to see you value my input ! 

Unionist = a supporter of a trade union simple definition from a dictionary what is it with these Labour fantasists

Labour only exists because of the Unions they are so excited they can't stand on their own two feet
  • Jalapeno said:
    capo4th said:
    <snip>

Yeah, but... 

Theresa May and the conservatives? They're the reason we're in this whole mess in the first place... 
    She's only been in power for months, the Tories for just under 2 yrs - it's ALL their fault ? Yeah right :/

Bolded a crucial bit. Conservatives have been in power since 2010, the coalition effectively meaningless. 

That's 6 years of power leading up to where we are now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Jalapeno said:
    capo4th said:
    <snip>

Yeah, but... 

Theresa May and the conservatives? They're the reason we're in this whole mess in the first place... 
    She's only been in power for months, the Tories for just under 2 yrs - it's ALL their fault ? Yeah right :/

Bolded a crucial bit. Conservatives have been in power since 2010, the coalition effectively meaningless. 

Following on from 13yrs of Labour misrule ..... my Dad's bigger than yours etc ....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    capo4th said:
    <snip>

Yeah, but... 

She's only been in power for months, the Tories for just under 2 yrs - it's ALL their fault ? Yeah right

Following on from 13yrs of Labour misrule ..... my Dad's bigger than yours etc ....

Was it misrule any worse than the Tories have? 

I don't feel like they're doing great. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28860
    Snap said:

The consequences are down to the people, no-one else.
    I think the decision to treat what was put forward as a non-binding referendum as a binding one wasn't entirely down to the people.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27350
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    capo4th said:
    <snip>

Yeah, but... 

She's only been in power for months, the Tories for just under 2 yrs - it's ALL their fault ? Yeah right

I think it's very important to realise that the differences between parties (Corbyn's Red Labour party aside) are actually very minimal, and that they're all shit.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    Fretwired said:

The BBC guy was 'run over deliberately to smear Mr Corbyn' say Momentum .. you couldn't make this up. 
    lol

The BBC guy was an idiot who put his foot under a moving car.

I did that when I was a teenager - luckily only the back wheel of an original Mini, so not that much weight by car standards and no broken bones, but it split the skin badly on my big toe and hurt like hell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Fretwired said:

"Alison McGovern is Labour MP for Wirral South"

Perhaps the Tory failure to fix it demonstrates what a catastrophic mess they were left with? "There is no money left."
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    jellyroll said:
    Fretwired said:

"Alison McGovern is Labour MP for Wirral South"

Perhaps the Tory failure to fix it demonstrates what a catastrophic mess they were left with? "There is no money left."

The 'there is no money left'   thing is just gibberish.  
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    Labour MPs have rejected their manifesto. Corbyn's going with it anyway. The Labour Party in Wales are issuing their own .. not yet sure about Labour in Scotland.

How much longer can Corbyn survive?
    All going swimmingly after Corbyn running-over a reporter and Len McCluskey flat on his arse all over the press then ? ;)
    I thought it was "Red Labour' claiming that the Daily Mail was attempting to smear Corbyn by stating that it was him driving the car....when it wasn't? 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited May 2017
    Gassage said:
    Join the club!

I want a party who is going to stuff like this (and no, I haven't thought out all the details!):

- Make qualitative decisions on immigration
    - Bring corporations and banks to account and make them pay their way
    - Give small and medium sized businesses support in order to get industry back on track in this country
    - Whip our train services into shape so that they are consumer centric
    - Abolish or expand the scope of the Women and Equalities Committee to include men and non-binary people
    - Equalise domestic violence and rape laws and make them gender-neutral
    - Reverse some of the positive discrimination in the education system that has lead to a dearth of British working class boys going to college and university
    - Ban circumcision and enforce our laws on FGM severely
    - Invest in scientific advancements to cure our environment woes, rather than heavy taxation and demonisation of people
    - Make trade deals with non-European countries like Japan, India, Russia, and the USA, and truly lean into our globalised economy
    - Introduction of no-fault divorce laws and strengthen the requirements for restraining orders to prevent frivolous claims
    - Jail parents who withhold access to their children when there is no proven record of harm
    - Abolish tuition fees for core academic subjects like languages, mathematics, and science
    - Increase the number of male teachers in primary schools
    - Reform our NHS so that it remains a public service with less waste and less middle management
    - Destroy ISIS and other terror cells

Seriously.. if the Green party were gonna do even half of this, I'd vote for them.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Gassage said:
    Join the club!

I want a party who is going to stuff like this (and no, I haven't thought out all the details!):

- Give small and medium sized businesses support in order to get industry back on track in this country
    - Abolish or expand the scope of the Women and Equalities Committee to include men and non-binary people
    - Reverse some of the positive discrimination in the education system that has lead to a dearth of British working class boys going to college and university
    - Invest in scientific advancements to cure our environment woes, rather than heavy taxation and demonisation of people
    - Make trade deals with non-European countries like Japan, India, Russia, and the USA, and truly lean into our globalised economy
    - Introduction of no-fault divorce laws and strengthen the requirements for restraining orders to prevent frivolous claims
    - Jail parents who withhold access to their children when there is no proven record of harm
    - Abolish tuition fees for core academic subjects like languages, mathematics, and science
    - Reform our NHS so that it remains a public service with less waste and less middle management

Seriously.. if the Green party were gonna do even half of this, I'd vote for them.
    I'd vote for that if you add engineering to the no-tuition-fees list.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Gassage said:
    Join the club!

+1 !
  • Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    capo4th said:
    <snip>

Yeah, but... 

I think it's very important to realise that the differences between parties (Corbyn's Red Labour party aside) are actually very minimal, and that they're all shit.

Yes, this is pretty much the crux of my thinking. I genuinely don't know who to vote for, I just know it won't be the Tory-brand of being shite. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    edited May 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Gassage said:
    Join the club!

Holy shit

Should we form a tFB Political Party of Common Sense and Equality?

Yes, if that *could* be done (or even half of it, as you say) I'd vote for it. Especially making banks and mega cooporations more accountable for their actions. 

I'd add far harder environmental laws, too - with no-nonsense, zero tolerance approach to fly tipping (no matter the scale), better controlled waste from businesses and a pledge to invest more into renewable energy research. 

But yes, great post. 

Also, it'd help if they employed politicians who are not afraid to answer questions truthfully (including saying "I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid, but I'm not a one-person show - would you mind if I called my team of experts to get that information?" or simply, "We can't afford to do that, so we compromised by doing this...."). 

Humans, in other words. 
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:

+1 !
    I thought that might not take much convincing.

We could call it the Socially Just Worker's Party.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom