Boost without increase in top end presence or mid hump ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
There are so many pedals out there that give a mid boost or increase in top end presence when engaged and this is precisely what i dont want. Could you suggest a boost pedal or overdrive used as a clean boost that simply adds transparency,  thickness and sustain without tubescreameresque mid hump or added top end sparkle ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Timmy

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I'd be tempted to try a compressor, particularly if sustain is an issue. Suhr Koji or Xotic SP would both work well based on my experience. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    With the gain dialled back to zero a JRAD Archer (or other Klone I guess) can be used as a great boost as it has huge headroom, more than any other pedal I've tried. Dial in a little gain and it will start to colour your sound but in a really nice way.

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Or how about a multi band EQ, and just raise each frequency equally, thus boosting across the entire spectrum.  
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Keeley katana mini. One knob: volume. Put it in the loop. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Suhr koko boost on the flat setting.
  • EQ pedal.  Because you'll possibly find you didn't want to boost the lows equally depending on what tone you're trying to make louder, but you can do a flat boost on the ones that have overall output sliders (I think the MXR 10 band does).
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I agree with @guitarfishbay in that an EQ pedal (with a volume/level control) should work as this will allow you to adjust the EQ. Other options include MXR MC401and TC Electronic Spark Booster.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Rc booster

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    MXR Micro Amp. Even the venerable Electro Harmonix LPB-1. Both good boosts with pretty much flat frequency response.

Closer to home, there's also this guy if you want the option to add a bit of 'hair':
    http://www.fredric.co.uk/accomplished-badger
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Magnetic FX Zola will do what you want. Treble, bass and boost controls plus a switchable buffer.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Another shout for the MXR Micro Amp
  • EQ pedal.  Because you'll possibly find you didn't want to boost the lows equally depending on what tone you're trying to make louder, but you can do a flat boost on the ones that have overall output sliders (I think the MXR 10 band does).

Yeah I'd do this. Transparent boosts will always seem to add some brightness, although it's probably a by product of just being louder that it seems brighter - an EQ would let you boost what you want more of and not boost/cut the stuff you don't. 
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    Plus one for an EQ pedal 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    IIRC Boo do a straight clean boost for very cheap.
  • Another vote for EQ pedal. They're useful for all sorts of things, so worth having one anyway.

• saint_iveysaint_ivey Frets: 17
    edited April 2017
    I use an Xotic RC Booster. Seems pretty transparent to my ear and no top end or mid boost.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I'd also agree with the EQ pedal approach for this
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Do you have any buffers (or always-on pedals) in your chain? If you don't, pretty much any boost will add brightness because you're effectively now running a buffered signal which will add the high end back in that you lose from long cable runs.
    EQ pedal.  Because you'll possibly find you didn't want to boost the lows equally depending on what tone you're trying to make louder, but you can do a flat boost on the ones that have overall output sliders (I think the MXR 10 band does).

Yeah I'd do this. Transparent boosts will always seem to add some brightness, although it's probably a by product of just being louder that it seems brighter - an EQ would let you boost what you want more of and not boost/cut the stuff you don't. 
    Possibly, but also the buffer thing I mentioned above.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Suhr Kokoboost on the full boost setting. This is an awesome pedal that is basically two great boosts in one.

The full boost setting is a simple one knob affair but the mid boost setting has three 'flavours' and you can change the mid focus for each.