Anyone else not sold on the Fast furious franchise?

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
Hi All,

For years I've struggled with the Fast and Furious films, I've never figured out why as generally a fan of action movies they don't really do anything for me, but now I've reached an impasse.

I have an unlimited cinema card and literally the only film on right now is Fast 8, and I've dawdled on going, because I don't think I'd enjoy it!

I tried to watch Fast 6 the other night, fell asleep.

What it comes down to is the characters, I just don't really like any of them, and some actively annoy me.

Anyone else feel the same, or are you all fans...?
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    i kinda liked the first one after that meh 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    If you're a male in a Fast & Furious movie, it's written in the contract you have to lose your hair.

They're movies for teenagers and dunderheads.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

I like Tokyo Drift as it was always on ITV2 after a gig. Well not ALWAYS on but it was usually that or Chronicles Of Riddick.

Apart from that they just look like cheap chavvy films to me, all plastic tits and lipstick. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• That does sound like a long struggle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Nope, cant stand 'em.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    That does sound like a long struggle.
    #firstworldproblems you missed that bit out :)

I acknowledge that my issues are minor compared to the average Syrian.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    First couple were okay as long as you treated them like the dumb action/racing films they are - and believe me, I like dumb action films more so than films that make you think...

However, they got silly after that. As s car fan I thought putting a Nissan engine in a Mustang in Tokyo Drift was sacrilege, and the fact they're had about 5 more films since just takes the piss - how far can you string out a film about a bunch of street racers and one or two coppers? What's the plot of No.8 - Vin Diesel's Charger goes in for an MOT so he has a courtesy Micra, goes on a road trip and is late getting home so he has to race back on the morning his hire car's due back?

To be honest, the very idea of a film 'franchise' sits uncomfortably with me, and makes it sound more like a business venture than a cinematic project...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    They haven't appealed to me so I never watched any of them. That means I have no informed opinion, but since it's the internets......
  • My son describes them as the best documentaries he's ever seen, so they seem to work for 12 year olds - who really are the target market. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I've never got into those films either, they just don't do anything for me, same as the 'Die hard' films, total meh!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    I like them. They are completely brainless and when you have time to kill (like stuck on a plane) they are great. I cant see any difference from these to (as mentioned) Die Hard, Star Wars, Underworld, Star Trek, or any franchise where they basically make the same film 9 times. 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15560
    I saw the 1st one when it was on, mostly so I could see why it gets all the mentions. I won't see any others and I kinda wish I could get the time I spent watching the 1st one back.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12387
    They're just cinematic bubblegum, but who wants to eat bubblegum all the time? I'm amazed it got to 8 films. Then again they squeezed 7 out of the Police Academy franchise so maybe we shouldn't be surprised by the public's apparent appetite for mindless shite. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    slacker said:
    I like them. They are completely brainless and when you have time to kill (like stuck on a plane) they are great. I cant see any difference from these to (as mentioned) Die Hard, Star Wars, Underworld, Star Trek, or any franchise where they basically make the same film 9 times.

Well I'd probably debate that with some of those franchises, but actually I generally like a good action movie.

Thats sorta my puzzle with F&F, I'd normally like that kind of movie in a Saturday afternoon popcorn kinda way, and I can't warm much to the F&F films.

• Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    I watched some of the action scenes from the earlier ones, amazing special effects but you watch it knowing that what you are seeing is impossible.

I like action films, but please dont insult my basic knowledge of physics
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3515
    For car movies they are shite, but I'm old as fuck so Hondas don't really do it for me. Two Lane Black Top, now that's a car movie.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The first was ok (at best).

The rest looked shite from  their trailers so I never bothered.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Not my cuppa. 

And yet, I did quite like death race... Which is truly shite. 
  • watched a few of them not my thing at but we all have different tastes. I like the Resident Evil and Mission:Impossible films which to some are probably just as shite.
  • watched a few of them not my thing at but we all have different tastes. I like the Resident Evil and Mission:Impossible films which to some are probably just as shite.

Loved resi, despite my beat efforts to dislike it on principle (game to film never works). 

I also quite liked advent children: final fantasy.