How Good is Your Technique?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    viz said:

I do also think this little exercise (and I assume it's one of hundreds, right, Old Swanner?) is a good little finger twister for what it's worth. 

Indeed, just one of many.  Anything and everything can be attacked like this.  Max it out, and then see if you can improve past that glass ceiling over time.

viz said:

That's why I asked you OS what process of improvement you recommend, because I think that's the really interesting bit.
    My take on the process of improvement is outlined in the practice flowchart I also blogged recently.

https://www.oldswannerguitartuition.com/single-post/2017/04/24/What-is-Effective-Practice-On-Guitar

In other words, trial and error, but with emphasis on measuring, so you can find out what works, and equally importantly, what doesn't work for you!  Knowing what doesn't work can save thousands of hours of wasted time.
    I find this thread very interesting and it's good to discuss this stuff.

A while ago there was an interesting discussion on the Reaper forum about a similar topic. There's a post at the link below, which I can relate to. Note: the password to see the post is: 'lounge'

As stated by the guy that posted in the link above (who happens to be a fantastic player) building up to speed is a good approach (which I use). But occasionally it's worth going for it to attempt to play faster than you think you can, because you might discover a different feeling or subtle change of technique that enables a breakthrough.

I continue to experiment with different approaches. I have a basic (general purpose) picking approach which is OK up to moderate tempos, which I call my 'high resolution technique' in that I can play complex lines with it. However, for higher speeds I have to transition to a different technique which I refer to as my 'low resolution technique', because the lines I can play with that technique are less complex and more linear (i.e. up and down scales).

But I suspect I'm not in your league in terms of technique.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Old_SwannerOld_Swanner Frets: 24
    ... occasionally it's worth going for it to attempt to play faster than you think you can, because you might discover a different feeling or subtle change of technique that enables a breakthrough.

It's definitely a valid approach, and like anything, if it works for you, milk it for all it's worth.

But I suspect I'm not in your league in terms of technique.
    I've climbed a few leagues since realising I'd stopped improving some years back, but there are still many many leagues above me to keep aiming for,

FWIW I tried this test out left handed after spending 6 weeks learning the basics (strumming and changing chords) that way.  The best speed I could manage was 12 and a half bpm!
    When other sites and teachers leave you frustrated: https://www.taplature.com/ 100% Unique, 100% Effective, 100% Free!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom