Guitar cull?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
So I really want to cull my guitars, as I have 30 plus guitars!

I mainly play guitars I have put together myself and tend to favour Fender style bolt on guitars, but I do love my SG and so that is staying.

Not sure, if I should actually sell them or 'stick them in storage', just I want some space back. Don't need the money, so its not a raising cash thing.

Would trade some cheaper ones for more expensive ones, but only to own less. However, that doesn't actually seem a viable solution anyway. As I can't see anyone wanting to actually do that deal...

So maybe I have to bite the bullet and sell the ones I don't need/want? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    stonevibe said:
    So maybe I have to bite the bullet

Only if you're a chav....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    If you don't need the money & you want to clear space, just give me the ones you don't want!  Simples!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    I've already given some stuff on loan to my brother and was going to ask some of my mates if they wanted to look after a guitar or two.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    stonevibe said:
    Don't need the money, so its not a raising cash thing.

Hmmm. Maybe start by picking just two or three of the least favourite (but still usable) ones to dump on a charity shop or school? They'll benefit a little and you'll be an experienced culler of guitars.  Might whet your bloodlust for the rest of the cull...

(I'm only saying this because if I had that many to get rid of, I wouldn't even know where to start.  I'd be paralysed with indecision in fact.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12959
    Do it. It'll be worth it. 
    Ravenous said:
    stonevibe said:
    Don't need the money, so its not a raising cash thing.

Hmmm. Maybe start by picking just two or three of the least favourite (but still usable) ones to dump on a charity shop or school? They'll benefit a little and you'll be an experienced culler of guitars.  Might whet your bloodlust for the rest of the cull...

(I'm only saying this because if I had that many to get rid of, I wouldn't even know where to start.  I'd be paralysed with indecision in fact.)

Already done that. Gave a few away to friends at work with kids that wanted to learn how to play
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    List them to gauge interest
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 885
    I'd like to see photos.

To my mind even if you don't need the money everything has a price, just offer up for sale 10 that you you could live without, the sale of which could fund one guitar that you would really appreciate in your collection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    revsorg said:
    I'd like to see photos.

To my mind even if you don't need the money everything has a price, just offer up for sale 10 that you you could live without, the sale of which could fund one guitar that you would really appreciate in your collection.
    I don't honestly need any more expensive guitars, pretty happy with the ones I alreasy own. Just  own a lot of them and probably could lose half of them.

Problem is working out which ones to sell/trade/lend!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    From memory of the ngd threads I've seen you have some really nice and interesting guitars I don't envy the decision you have to make but do envy the collection you have :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    I am seriously thinking about getting a storage facility ( I also have a tone of other stuff, I could put in there) just doing the maths...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Has Harry seven got any spare storage space?

:) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    stonevibe said:
    Ravenous said:

... charity shop or school...
    Already done that. Gave a few away to friends at work with kids that wanted to learn how to play

(+wis for starting.)

Don't know what you have, but I think I would start by looking for things with a lot of "duplicates", pick the cheapest of those and try to sell them - with the intention of maybe buying just one expensive item if the selling goes well.

(Unless you're wedded to the idea of storage. I don't think it's worth storing the cheapest ones though...?)

I think whatever I do, I need to get it actually done. Been putting it off for ages, bet really want to have a cull, reclaim some space and make some changes.
  • Do it. I went from 13 cheaper guitars to having 3. It wasn't easy to part with some of them, but I'm happier with what I have now & play them a regularly.
     I never look at one & think "I should really play that- I've not touched it in ages". 

I now strongly endorse the mantra "quality over quantity". 

Some of the proceeds went on a nice LP, some on further upgrades for my beloved partscaster & I expect to sell the third guitar to fund a nice LP Jr at some point, but I'm waiting for the right one. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Pics of the collection?
    Pics of the collection?
    Nah, they are spread all over the house and I really can't get them all in one shot. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    Make a movie then
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'm working myself up to doing this myself.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3273
    I'd say sell on the ones that you haven't picked up for a while. About to have a clear out of bits that are not being used myself -it clears a bit of space and to my mind if someone else benefits from an instrument, well that was what it was put together for. Guitars were never built (either by ourselves or others) to sit in the cold of a storage facility, they were built to be played.