Guitar cull?

What's Hot

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    stonevibe said:
    So maybe I have to bite the bullet

Only if you're a chav....
    I don't know about the chav thing, but those Squiers are really hard on the teeth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5184
    I'll come and pick some up chap :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I'm only half joking when I say sell them on here. That way, if/when the waves of remorse wash over you and you want to buy them back you know where they are !
    dibs on any spare fat necked bitsa's by the way ! ;-)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23106
    edited May 2017
    stonevibe said:
    I am seriously thinking about getting a storage facility ( I also have a tone of other stuff, I could put in there) just doing the maths...
    Isn't that pretty expensive though?  And then not only do you have guitars you're not using, it's actually costing you money to keep them.

By the way, I do not speak from any kind of holier than thou position - I also have far too many guitars, would love to get rid of some but the whole selling process is such a pain in the arse.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    A suggestion:

In the past, if I've owned a guitar that I wasn't sure about keeping or not, I stuck it away out of sight for a while. If I missed it, and got it back out of its case then I knew it was a keeper. If, after a pre-determined length of time, I hadn't missed it and not even thought about it then it was time to say goodbye. The trick is to photograph them *before* you put them away in storage so you can list them on eBay/here without getting them back out... as experience tells me, that if I get them out to photograph them, I'll play them and want to keep them. Square one.

That might work with your storage idea - stick them away and be ruthless. Any you don't miss/don't feel a need to get out and play... sell them.

I keep going around in circles on this too - can you tell?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    That's a pretty good idea actually @impmann. Cheers 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27230
    Storage is for hoarding or moving house. Don't be that guy. 

Try this (seriously!). Anything that doesn't add a warm fuzzy feeling to your life should go. And that's HARD with guitars, but possible.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922

It's a tough one I think, and I'm sure everyone's different. I sold two "good" guitars over the last couple of years. Regretted selling one, and didn't miss the other. Both go next to no play. Bu the RG550 I didn't play, and sold, I now want back. But can't justify the cost.

Don't sell any that are rare/exotic/sentimental/can't be replaced.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12678

Try this (seriously!). Anything that doesn't add a warm fuzzy feeling to your life should go. And that's HARD with guitars, but possible.

Thats a rewrite of the William Morris quote: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"

Now that is hard with guitars...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    Just sell them.

If particular instruments don't mean a lot to you then they're replaceable, you can get another one (possibly even a better one) another time.

Storage isn't necessarily as cheap as you'd think.  Worth getting a quote if you want, depends how much space you need.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    edited May 2017

It's a personal thing, more than about 3 electrics for me just get in the way and use up too much physical and mantal space. I like the minimum of gear possible to do the tasks I want to do.   If I had loads of space, time and money, I't would be inevitable that I would have more, but no too much more.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27230
    impmann said:

Thats a rewrite of the William Morris quote: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"

Yeah, I'm trying to do it with everything I own at the moment, but not sure there will be any guitars going after the Dove.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23106
    impmann said:

Yeah, I'm trying to do it with everything I own at the moment, but not sure there will be any guitars going after the Dove.
    I've just been reading about this Marie Kondo person on Wikipedia.  If she could see inside my house I reckon she'd drop dead from sheer horror.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I am such a hoarder!

This is tough....
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 885
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    revsorg said:
    revsorg said:
    Nah, I'd spend it all on beer
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    1st world problems ey. If you want the space immediately do a deal with a local guitar store.
    BBBlues said:
    1st world problems ey. If you want the space immediately do a deal with a local guitar store.
    They only really offer trades, as I can imagine its hassle for them to setup, sell and warranty guitars. Plus, I'm not exactly after any more guitars at the moment.

I think Impmans suggestion makes most sense to me.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Bury them in the garden!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    this is something I've said before, but will repeat myself. By and large guitars don't lose value, so unless you need the money or need the space, then there is no harm in holding on to them. I wish the money I'd wasted on stuff in the past I'd spent on musical instruments instead.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.