Guitar cull?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    usedtobe said:
    Bury them in the garden!
    Bonfire?

I suppose that's a bit more 'final' than a burial....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27329
    VimFuego said:
    this is something I've said before, but will repeat myself. By and large guitars don't lose value, so unless you need the money or need the space, then there is no harm in holding on to them. I wish the money I'd wasted on stuff in the past I'd spent on musical instruments instead.
    I agree, to a point. Though I do occasionally look up how much is now have if I'd bought Apple stock instead of my first iPod. It's a big number...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12016
    I've got rid of a few recently, for the same motive

Especially when ebay sent me a 2 day "no selling fee" offer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15664
    VimFuego said:
    this is something I've said before, but will repeat myself. By and large guitars don't lose value, so unless you need the money or need the space, then there is no harm in holding on to them. I wish the money I'd wasted on stuff in the past I'd spent on musical instruments instead.
    I agree, to a point. Though I do occasionally look up how much is now have if I'd bought Apple stock instead of my first iPod. It's a big number...

though I'd say that was an investment. All that money I've spent on, say, PC's was hardly an investment.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:

though I'd say that was an investment. All that money I've spent on, say, PC's was hardly an investment.

People say this but I'm not sure it's true, a pc is something you can't really live without and is a nessasity where as a guitar is not, so other than money wise the pc was probably a better investment. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7180
    Think I'll try and make a list this week. At least start the process off... 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    stonevibe said:
    revsorg said:
    revsorg said:
    Nah, I'd spend it all on beer
    Then you'd have the problem of holding all that beer in. Until the dam breaks. And then you'll spend the rest of the day back and forth to the bog. Instead of playing guitars. Which you've stupidly sold for beer. The circle of life, eh? What would we do without it?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    usedtobe said:
    Bury them in the garden!
    Good idea!

...I know where he lives...

...and have a spade.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5191
    simonk said:
    usedtobe said:
    Bury them in the garden!
    Good idea!

...I know where he lives...

...and have a spade.
    I'll hold the torch B)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2017
    The only time I've culled guitars was due to financial reasons. I got shafted at work & had to take a paycut in 2006. So I lost £5K a year off my salary. Which was pretty much my disposable income
    at the time.

I then had about 6 electric guitars at the time so I got rid of the stuff I didn't gig which was an Ibanez RG560 & a couple of Yamaha SG's and my Gibson SG which wasn't a very nice example. I bought a cheap Ibanez Roadstar as a live backup to my Tele and kept my Les Paul.

i stayed at 3 guitars until 2010. When I went on a bit of a buying spree & went up to 6. But then a business venture I was involved in went south & I needed some fast cash. So I liquidated some more guitars to plug my cash flow.

since then I've been less keen to buy guitars that don't get played. I've got 4 electrics & 1 acoustic. But they all get played & are keepers. But I sold my Ibanez RG recently & found the guy was flipping it as soon as I'd sold it. I wasn't that bothered about the guitar & had made a profit on what I'd paid originally. But I'm thinking perhaps the days of impulse purchases are over. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    @Jeztone2 I'm with you there I want from 9 to one electric one bass and one acoustic, (now two basses due to regular bass gigs) , and to be honest apart from the gibson es120 I don't  miss em or  having that many guitars, I'm more content getting the most out of what I have. 
    Well I've started 'the cull' and put some on here and an amp on Gumtree, so will grdually get this done, as I would like to get some space back.

• ColsCols Frets: 7163
    If you store them in a rack, I'd recommend turning them the wrong way round (as it were) and leaving it a month.  The ones which have been restored to order after a month are the keepers.
    Cols said:
    If you store them in a rack, I'd recommend turning them the wrong way round (as it were) and leaving it a month.  The ones which have been restored to order after a month are the keepers.
    Or sell the really dusty ones...
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I had to clear up it everything last year to set up on my own.

6 months in and I'm buying and replacing. I have a 600 sq ft office with a storeroom. If you are anywhere near feel free to stash some (genuine offer) at no cost until you see which ones you miss.