NHS cyber attack ..

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
edited May 2017 in Off Topic
This is serious ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

My local hospitals are not accepting any more patients and are in lock down.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    It is serious and whoever is responsible for it is a serious bellend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12282
    This is quite a big deal.

The NHS is one of the largest organisations in the world and you would expect it to be very well protected against what seems likely to turn out to be a truly enormous DDOS attack against them.  It must have targeted carefully selected crucial points in the network, DNS servers or data centres.

Expect a state involvement, probably Russia, you heard it here first! ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1768
    That's bad. I manage a residential care home and deal with dr's appointments and hospitals on daily basis. That can create havoc not to mention can have a massive influence on my residents wellbeing.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    My local hospital is the Lister in Stevenage which is an excellent place - had over £500 million spent on new kit so it's reliant on IT systems and connectivity between medical kit and database systems. Taken my dad there a few times - you get scanned as you go into theatre etc, so I guess all this kit is down along with the phone system. Thinking about it the door systems may be buggered as they are security card swiped.

That's bad. I manage a residential care home and deal with dr's appointments and hospitals on daily basis. That can create havoc not to mention can have a massive influence on my residents wellbeing.
    I'm afraid to say its likely to cost lives. :(

Whoever is responsible (cough Russia cough) are a shower of c**ts
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    Why Russia...why not IS?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why Russia...why not IS?
    Resources - the NHS is a huge organisation and is likely very well protected ( though it may turn out not as well as it should be) I doubt IS could pull it off.

They seem to have done more than just DDOS as well, they seem to have gotten ransomware onto all the PCs - that is some clever attack for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Isn't the new Cyber Agency of GCHQ supposed to protect the NHS? Ransomware doesn't sound like the Russians .. sounds like criminals.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    Just restore from a backup. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7298
    I work for university Hospitals Leicester. Thankfully we've not been affected. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    If it was deliberately targetted, I'm betting that it will be politically motivated too - to damage the NHS in the run-up to a general election.

The question is which party will benefit, and how has whoever did this calculated that they will?

Or is it a more general attempt to cause fear and doubt, and if so who would that benefit?

Or am I too paranoid?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Isn't the new Cyber Agency of GCHQ supposed to protect the NHS? Ransomware doesn't sound like the Russians .. sounds like criminals.

Well, that would be what they want you to think :)

The ransomware is just damage I think, if you were a big criminal and genuinely wanted to rip off the NHS...

Firstly you are almost guaranteed to kill people, and there are softer targets, MI5 will be after these guys now

Secondly, why attack the desktops?  They likely do have data on them, but the really valuable stuff is in data centres, thats just damage.

Something really big for UK national security has happened here, I'm fascinated to find out what the full story is.
    ICBM said:
    If it was deliberately targetted, I'm betting that it will be politically motivated too - to damage the NHS in the run-up to a general election.

The question is which party will benefit, and how has whoever did this calculated that they will?

Or is it a more general attempt to cause fear and doubt, and if so who would that benefit?

Or am I too paranoid?
    I think you're spot on .. too much of a coincidence.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5113
    ICBM said:

Or am I too paranoid?
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/103578/lib-dems-you-got-my-vote#latest ahem :)

Something really big for UK national security has happened here, I'm fascinated to find out what the full story is.
    Sadly I doubt we'll ever know. GCHQ and MI5 will restrict what we get told. I guess the perpetrators may surface on the net at some point if it's to make a political point.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5113
    Fretwired said:

Sadly I doubt we'll ever know. GCHQ and MI5 will restrict what we get told. I guess the perpetrators may surface on the net at some point if it's to make a political point.
    or perhaps surface in a net?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    Reverend said:
    lol

No, I don't do any of that ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1337
    It's all over.
    This guy is a doctor .. doesn't look good ...

New reports of attacks all over Europe ..