NHS cyber attack ..

What's Hot

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2648
    Looks like I picked the right week to take annual leave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:

But most importantly - how do you prevent 100% of your workforce from falling for phishing emails 100% of the time.
    There are ways. Email encryption, strip out all HTML links and attachments. If files need to be sent use secure Cloud-based storage solutions rather than email.
    Or just don't give them admin rights.

If they were doing their it on something like chrome OS with all systems web based it couldn't happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 695
    It's been a nightmare today, all elective surgery across our Trust has been cancelled from about 2pm today,life threatening emergencies only. All weekend work cancelled too.
    I had an admin day today so was busy doing off duty rosters and appraisal documentation so didn't get a thing done, ALL computers had to be shut down.
    It's the patients that it hits the hardest, bastards !!
    #thebatesmotelband
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12283
    Fretwired said:

It's probably a criminal gang in Russia I doubt any of them will be getting their collars felt.
    Wouldn't bank on that ... apparently the attacks have hit Russian state TV and other institutions. There will be some seriously pissed off Russians ..
    Hmm... that's all I can say, hmmm...

If this global hack is the work of a few botnets and a criminal gang they got very lucky indeed.

I smell a huge rat here, I really do.  Screams a state testing their cyber military to me.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Danny1969 said:
    I can't actually believe companies let alone the NHS use Windows boxes to run anything of critical importance ....
    I get your point, but it is a little unfair to point the finger at Windows when this exploit was patched a while ago. The far bigger problem is the inertia of IT departments to take updates seriously. They would rather avoid the risk of a "bad" update, than just patch, hence servers (in my experience) making desktops look like Fort Knox, and most desktops are not managed particularly well.

The other problem here though is IT departments throwing too much resource into (badly) attempting to mitigate this kind of risk, while having no proper plans in place to deal with it when it happens. You can never mitigate all risk, so you must be clued up on how to deal with this kind of thing fast. Despite the lip-service paid to DR, a lot of IT departments are not.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Fretwired said:

But most importantly - how do you prevent 100% of your workforce from falling for phishing emails 100% of the time.
    There are ways. Email encryption, strip out all HTML links and attachments. If files need to be sent use secure Cloud-based storage solutions rather than email.
    Doesn't work for remote workers. Well, it sort of does but you have to lock down their computer entirely and never let them connect any of their devices to your network. Ever.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited May 2017
    Get rid of Active Directory joined workstations. Malware like this work can spread through credential stealing/elevation. If they have no way to elevate to where they can get admin rights on other workstations (and users are NOT running as admins), their ability to spread becomes less.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    If the Labour Party hadn't wasted £15billion on failed IT projects everyone in the NHS would be on a mac book pro by now. Epic Fail from the Labour Party.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    capo4th said:
    If the Labour Party hadn't wasted £15billion on failed IT projects everyone in the NHS would be on a mac book pro by now. Epic Fail from the Labour Party.
    There's more truth in that than people realise. Much more truth
    tFB Trader
    capo4th said:

Running something like the NHS on Mac's would be a total disaster. They don't work well in large enterprises.

I say this in a company that predominantly uses Mac's and I am head of IT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Fretwired said:
    This is serious ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

My local hospitals are not accepting any more patients and are in lock down.

DO NOT OPEN THIS LINK!!!!!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    Fretwired said:
    This is serious ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

My local hospitals are not accepting any more patients and are in lock down.

DO NOT OPEN THIS LINK!!!!!!
    Why not?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1972
    capo4th said:

Running something like the NHS on Mac's would be a total disaster. They don't work well in large enterprises.

ITV went close to 100% Apple about 5 years ago. Cost them a fortune and for the first 2 years was completely unmanageable. They blew the budget on the hardware (naively thinking that they'd get hefty discounts on 5000 Mac Book Pro's....they didn't)....leaving nothing left in kitty to put a management application in. The CIO soon disappeared.
    tFB Trader
    exocet said:
    capo4th said:

ITV went close to 100% Apple about 5 years ago. Cost them a fortune and for the first 2 years was completely unmanageable. They blew the budget on the hardware (naively thinking that they'd get hefty discounts on 5000 Mac Book Pro's....they didn't)....leaving nothing left in kitty to put a management application in. The CIO soon disappeared.

They aren't the only media company that has happened to
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    @Bridgehouse - you know this is down to Terry Morgan - let's keep those donations coming in....
  • mellowsun said:
    Is it PCs that are affected or the servers running the software and holding the data? The NHS was supposed to be moving away from centralised systems, this was the purpose of Blair's 12Bn IT spend in 2004.

It's an email phishing scam which then installs a worm which spreads over the network using an unpatched vulnerability in the samba file sharing protocol.

I doubt it intended to target the NHS I expect the hackers just hit gold.

Without sounding like a twat, is my home computer safe? 

Updated it today, windows 10, and I don't open attachments on emails unless it's something I'm expecting. 
  • capo4th said:

Do you really believe this? 

Was that a Tory proposition at the time? Vote for us and we'll bring macs to the NHS? 

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    mellowsun said:
    Is it PCs that are affected or the servers running the software and holding the data? The NHS was supposed to be moving away from centralised systems, this was the purpose of Blair's 12Bn IT spend in 2004.

It's an email phishing scam which then installs a worm which spreads over the network using an unpatched vulnerability in the samba file sharing protocol.

Updated it today, windows 10, and I don't open attachments on emails unless it's something I'm expecting. 

You should be fine, if you haven't got an AntiVirus, download the free version of Avast. Make sure that you don't let it install all the junk you don't need though. There are options while installing. 

Windows now has a built in anti virus, but it's not great. 

Viruses are very advanced now, and you can't guarantee protection, but most of the risk is mitigated by not clicking on strange links and email attachments. 
  • mellowsun said:

You should be fine, if you haven't got an AntiVirus, download the free version of Avast. Make sure that you don't let it install all the junk you don't need though. There are options while installing. 

Windows now has a built in anti virus, but it's not great. 

Viruses are very advanced now, and you can't guarantee protection, but most of the risk is mitigated by not clicking on strange links and email attachments. 

Okay. 

I currently use Windows defender, scans regularly and works... I don't really want a shitty antivirus slowing everything down :( 

'spose I've got to though... 

Every antivirus seems to come with a bunch of shit though, like browser add ons. Who the fuck wants that?