NHS cyber attack ..

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Apparently XP only went out of support in April 2014, I'm amazed it stuck around so long !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Jalapeno said:
    According to BBC this is global.  Feels like Mr Robot coming true !!!!
    True, but to the average voter this is worrying .. BBC just shown a woman with a child being turned away from a hospital. That's an emotional image and people always look for someone to blame .. the Tories will get the flak.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1337
    All that time spent teaching myself how to make drill bow fire might come in handy soon.

Sycamore works well.  So does the Butterfly bush which grows everywhere along the rail tracks.  If you can't find Elder and Climatis.

;)
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:
    True, but to the average voter this is worrying .. BBC just shown a woman with a child being turned away from a hospital. That's an emotional image and people always look for someone to blame .. the Tories will get the flak.
    deservedly so if theyre responsible ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nhs-cuts-crisis-government-consultancies-millions-paid-a7640176.html

perhaps a few more decent pc's n some investment in IT training - might have prevented this  IT superbug issue

JMP220478 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nhs-cuts-crisis-government-consultancies-millions-paid-a7640176.html

perhaps a few more decent pc's n some investment in IT training - might have prevented this  IT superbug issue

Oh dear .. Deloittes who used to help fund the Tories ... (not sure if the company is a donor at this election).

True.  The receptionists get more training where I work than the IT department.  No jokes.  It's crazy.
    What's more, the Customer Services recruits must be graduates, whereas the last 4 "IT guys" who joined our team were all school leavers with an interest in computers.

"Just train them up - how hard can it be?".

It takes years to get them up to speed.

Stupid is as stupid does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11408
    If you want to extract huge amounts of money from the NHS with no recourse then just pitch for one of their contracts. No need for bitcoin or anything like that.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Fretwired said:
    JMP220478 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:

Oh dear .. Deloittes who used to help fund the Tories ... (not sure if the company is a donor at this election).
    Deloittes will pitch for the IT FIX contract
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517
    I can't actually believe companies let alone the NHS use Windows boxes to run anything of critical importance .... I mean let's face it half the time you can't trust one to run your DAW reliably or run for more than 6 months before it gets stuck in a Windows update loop or something else goes wrong.
    Something a lot more robust would be a better idea, I don't know what but something with ROM instructions and sandboxing 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    From the BBC website:

Dr Afzal Ashraf, an expert on cyber-security who has previously worked as an adviser to the government, told the BBC it was likely that the malware was spreading when NHS services shared documents and information.

But he also said he thought it was unlikely the attackers had deliberately targeted the NHS.

He added: "I think they probably attacked a small company assuming they would get a small amount of money but it's got into the NHS system and now they have the full power of the state against them - because obviously the government cannot afford for this sort of thing to happen and be successful."

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Is it PCs that are affected or the servers running the software and holding the data? The NHS was supposed to be moving away from centralised systems, this was the purpose of Blair's 12Bn IT spend in 2004.

mellowsun said:
    Is it PCs that are affected or the servers running the software and holding the data? The NHS was supposed to be moving away from centralised systems, this was the purpose of Blair's 12Bn IT spend in 2004.

It's a ransomware attack not a data hack so it's desktop PCs - probably infected via links in emails.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Danny1969 said:
    I can't actually believe companies let alone the NHS use Windows boxes to run anything of critical importance .... I mean let's face it half the time you can't trust one to run your DAW reliably or run for more than 6 months before it gets stuck in a Windows update loop or something else goes wrong.
    Something a lot more robust would be a better idea, I don't know what but something with ROM instructions and sandboxing 
    MS Office. 

And user familiarity.

And worldwide business strategies.

And the way public sector procurement works. You can't specify certain technologies - you procure a need and take the best value offering. 

But most importantly - how do you prevent 100% of your workforce from falling for phishing emails 100% of the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    mellowsun said:

It's an email phishing scam which then installs a worm which spreads over the network using an unpatched vulnerability in the samba file sharing protocol.

I doubt it intended to target the NHS I expect the hackers just hit gold.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    Fretwired said:
    From the BBC website:

Dr Afzal Ashraf, an expert on cyber-security who has previously worked as an adviser to the government, told the BBC it was likely that the malware was spreading when NHS services shared documents and information.

But he also said he thought it was unlikely the attackers had deliberately targeted the NHS.

He added: "I think they probably attacked a small company assuming they would get a small amount of money but it's got into the NHS system and now they have the full power of the state against them - because obviously the government cannot afford for this sort of thing to happen and be successful."
    If I was the attacker, having the British government on my trail wouldn't be very scary. But as already said, if they've pissed off Putin there will be consequences, and most likely very unpleasant ones…

But most importantly - how do you prevent 100% of your workforce from falling for phishing emails 100% of the time.
    Probably in the same way as financial companies have had to implement to deal with money laundering - by making the employees personally liable. That would act as a fairly good deterrent to opening any email link, ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It's an email phishing scam which then installs a worm which spreads over the network using an unpatched vulnerability in the samba file sharing protocol.

I doubt they've hit gold. May will have GCHQ tracking them down. I bet they would have preferred a few SMEs who'd have paid up and shut up. Attacking the NHS isn't the brightest move unless you're clever enough to blackmail the government.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:

I doubt they've hit gold. May will have GCHQ tracking them down. I bet they would have preferred a few SMEs who'd have paid up and shut up. Attacking the NHS isn't the brightest move unless you're clever enough to blackmail the government.

It's probably a criminal gang in Russia I doubt any of them will be getting their collars felt.

There are ways. Email encryption, strip out all HTML links and attachments. If files need to be sent use secure Cloud-based storage solutions rather than email.

It's probably a criminal gang in Russia I doubt any of them will be getting their collars felt.
    Wouldn't bank on that ... apparently the attacks have hit Russian state TV and other institutions. There will be some seriously pissed off Russians ..