Had our car stolen last night ... can't believe how disrupting that is

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    What a bummer. I always have a crook lock on my car. A pro can deal with it of course, but any idle thief will go for an easier old car.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Fuck. Sorry to hear it man :(
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    I well remember having my S3 nicked in from Richmond Cricket Club car park.

I got it back 6 weeks later and what pissed me off most of all was finding a Kanye West CD in the player- that irked me beyond belief.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Appreciate what a pain it is and sorry to hear about it Ash - I had mine stolen a few years ago - turns out it was used in a robbery - first I knew about this part was when a police officer came to see me at work wanting to effectively know where I was the previous night - He had not known I'd reported it stolen that morning - so at least they found it, albeit 50 miles away - left windows open, part smashed it and ended up waiting nearly 4 weeks later to get it back after repairs

But I do like your idea of justice based on caps and knees - not sure if it is legal yet, so with an election coming up someone could capture a few votes with such a policy

Hope you are back mobile soon in some form or another and pick up a decent motor with insurance money
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I had my very first car nicked too, 2 weeks after buying it off a mate for a couple of hundred quid.

Guess what make, model and age it was...
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    axisus said:
    What a bummer. I always have a crook lock on my car. A pro can deal with it of course, but any idle thief will go for an easier old car.
    Sorry to hear that, I've had 5 cars stolen over the years, It really is a PITA. Yep good ol crook lock has saved two of my cars from being nicked, Both Ford Capri's strangely (different time periods). the doors on both cars were open when I returned to them, (locks forced) but otherwise intact.

The only trouble is getting another reliable car for the measly amount of money from the insurance an old car is worth.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10455
    tFB Trader
    Funnily enough the last car I had stolen was a Ford Capri 1600GT ... the scumbag who stole it drove it at about 70mph into a tree ... I don't believe he was happy with that ... and spent a very long time in hospital. I could have told him ... Ford Capri in the wet ... as much grip as a soap bar in an empty bath tub ... DONT CORNER!!!!!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Funnily enough the last car I had stolen was a Ford Capri 1600GT ... the scumbag who stole it drove it at about 70mph into a tree ... I don't believe he was happy with that ... and spent a very long time in hospital. I could have told him ... Ford Capri in the wet ... as much grip as a soap bar in an empty bath tub ... DONT CORNER!!!!!

At least that story had a happy ending.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I had a 1.4 Astra of similar vintage, and I can confirm too that it was not for joy riding......

In my experience anything to do with cars in London is a pain in the fundamental, but this takes the biscuit.

There seem to be a faction of the population that think it's OK to steal cars as the insurance company will pay up.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Gassage said:
    I well remember having my S3 nicked in from Richmond Cricket Club car park.

I got it back 6 weeks later and what pissed me off most of all was finding a Kanye West CD in the player- that irked me beyond belief.
    I thought they bundled that CD with every S3 purchase?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Nightmare! I've got an old car too. I barely use mine and often think it has been stolen but I t's just that I can never remember where I parked it!
    tFB Trader
    jpfamps said:

I had a 1.4 Astra of similar vintage, and I can confirm too that it was not for joy riding......

In my experience anything to do with cars in London is a pain in the fundamental, but this takes the biscuit.

There seem to be a faction of the population that think it's OK to steal cars as the insurance company will pay up.
    The sad bit is that it was a 'one owner from new car' ... my dad ... now 90 gave it to me when he quit driving just before Christmas. It had a full service history, and had only done 18000 miles in 20 years. It drove like new. It was kinda like a family pet :-)
    We've been very lucky so far here with car theft ... had our number plates nicked for petrol scamming a few years ago, and had the soft top nicked off our Suzuki Jeep about 15 years ago ... not exactly a hotbed of auto crime.
    But the neighbourhood has changed, lots of short term lets in communal houses, lots of drugs moving in ... more rubbish on the streets and shouting at night.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Ash - if you need a car in a hurry, I have a R-plate Honda Civic with 80-odd k miles on it sat in my lockup with a couple of weeks test that you could have for £75. Everything works, but it needs a wheelbearing doing and a couple of tyres (perished). It is filthy though! We got it as a stop gap and its done nothing since it arrived in February. I'm sure it would work well as a stop gap/runabout.
    I'm near Kettering.

Sorry to hear that news, mate.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    axisus said:
    It seems so pointless: a 20+ year old 1400cc saloon ... 
    so it's *your* fault @axisus that the idle thief in this case nicked Ash's wheels??

Sorry to hear the news Ash.  But with that sort of mileage, and living in London, don't worry about replacing it.  Save all the cost, hassle and theft-worry and just hire a car when you need something for longer journeys and use the wonderful London public transport at other times ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    axisus said:
    It seems so pointless: a 20+ year old 1400cc saloon ... 
    so it's *your* fault @axisus that the idle thief in this case nicked Ash's wheels??

Sorry to hear the news Ash.  But with that sort of mileage, and living in London, don't worry about replacing it.  Save all the cost, hassle and theft-worry and just hire a car when you need something for longer journeys and use the wonderful London public transport at other times ...
    We have two horses stabled out in Essex ... plus the missus works crew on big gigs (she was crew for John Mayer at the O2) we need a car sadly.

tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Ash - if you need a car in a hurry, I have a R-plate Honda Civic with 80-odd k miles on it sat in my lockup with a couple of weeks test that you could have for £75. Everything works, but it needs a wheelbearing doing and a couple of tyres (perished). It is filthy though! We got it as a stop gap and its done nothing since it arrived in February. I'm sure it would work well as a stop gap/runabout.
    I'm near Kettering.

Sorry to hear that news, mate.
    Thanks so much for the offer mate ... but you are a bit far away.