The "forum guitar" phenomenon

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 4329
I was wondering about this recently - we've probably all seen it, that guitar that over the years has done the rounds of members, changing hands without being dissed or disgraced, but never finding a permanent home in even the largest of collections. 

Are these guitars just somehow less than the sum of their parts so fail to impress? A poor version of their ilk? Faulty in some hard-to-spot way and being passed around disingenuously? Or does their veru 'forum guitar' status make them interesting to others?

I've had I think 2 in the past that might be considered such, for me it was the 'less than the sum of the parts' factor - something that outwardly should be a fine instrument but which ultimately failed at all to appeal to me once I had my mitts on it (enter Brawley, stage left, then exit stage right)

Now I think about it I did once sell a pedal that worked perfectly as it was designed, but which as a not-that-common pedal most folk would not have been aware that it was frankly a bit crap despite its price. I PM'd 2 friends who expressed an interest and put them off it but let a stranger buy it. I wonder if any 'forum guitars' move around similarly? 

I don't have a particular point to make - it's Sunday and I'm putting off taking the dog out is all. 
"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 19778
    Actually, I think it would be quite interesting to see how many guitars we've got amongst us that have passed through a fair few hands ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 4329
    On the other side of the coin, I had 2 guitars that sold on MR to new users who since disappeared that I would LOVE back but can't track down :-( lol 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I knew a guy from universal. He told me about a documentary script he was given about a guitar and its journey though different owners.
  • I used to own a Mexican Strat. It was certainly looked after by me, had had a setup, and upgraded with BareKnuckle Pickups and Pots, which has subsequently been sold on a couple of times.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4211
    I think if you did a 'degrees of separation' thing for the classifieds and could map all of the transactions, we could cover any journey across the country with a handful of members. Maybe we should sort out our own delivery company.

I don't know why it happens, but I have just sold a Hofner to @Jonnyburgo that I bought from @Dean2371 that he got from Jonnyburgo.

No doubt @blueskunk was in the mix somewhere too and if @DrBob hasn't had his dabs on it yet he will no doubt in the future, then of course that would inevitibly bring @travisthedog and @retsacourt into the mix and...

(Note to self: Must remember to buy shares in Interparcel)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 28265
    TimmyO said:
    I was wondering about this recently - we've probably all seen it, that guitar that over the years has done the rounds of members, changing hands without being dissed or disgraced, but never finding a permanent home in even the largest of collections. 

Are these guitars just somehow less than the sum of their parts so fail to impress? A poor version of their ilk? Faulty in some hard-to-spot way and being passed around disingenuously? Or does their veru 'forum guitar' status make them interesting to others?

I've had I think 2 in the past that might be considered such, for me it was the 'less than the sum of the parts' factor - something that outwardly should be a fine instrument but which ultimately failed at all to appeal to me once I had my mitts on it (enter Brawley, stage left, then exit stage right)

Now I think about it I did once sell a pedal that worked perfectly as it was designed, but which as a not-that-common pedal most folk would not have been aware that it was frankly a bit crap despite its price. I PM'd 2 friends who expressed an interest and put them off it but let a stranger buy it. I wonder if any 'forum guitars' move around similarly? 

I don't have a particular point to make - it's Sunday and I'm putting off taking the dog out is all. 
    Is one of those my old gold top warmoth tele?
    http://uptheoctave.com
    Audio Production Reviews and Technique.
    Latest article for Production Expert: Mixing with guitar pedals. https://bit.ly/3hCtIHF
    Latest article for Pro Tools Expert: Why I bought an Avid MTRX. https://bit.ly/30HGqPv
    Click here for all my articles.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1438
    benvall said:
    I knew a guy from universal. He told me about a documentary script he was given about a guitar and its journey though different owners.
    Sounds like the wonderful novel Accordion Crimes. With one obvious difference.

• I've had a couple which were like that - a PRS SE One, I think, and a modded RGT42 (which someone got scammed over recently on another forum).

The most interesting one wasn't quite what's being discussed here - many, many moons ago I bought a Steinberger Spirit off eBay with a rather large bash on one edge. I sold it to a friend, who eventually sold it back to me, then it sat in the corner for ages. I got around to selling it on MR after a while, and DrBob recognised it as one that he owned a few years before I bought it (we don't know how many steps there were between him and the guy I got it from). He took it back in the end - it's quite a surprising story.

I'd like to say it had a happy ending, but as soon as he got it back from me he pulled it apart for spares and as a donor guitar for a mini-V :D
    During the Covid19 period, we're running a "phone a friend" facility.  Just to hear a voice, keep in touch, etc. , using "JitSi".

There's a Jitsi iOS/Android App, or you can just connect from a browser.

https://meet.jit.si/theFretBoard  |    pw: theFB  |    0121 468 3154  |  1000 and 2000 daily.
  • Whenever I see an ad that starts "I got this off forumite X in a deal, but its not my thing..." the first thought that pops into my head---rightly or wrongly---is always "oh, so TWO forumites have decided this isn't good enough to keep it...?" 
  • Some of the forum guitars are well priced jobbies, so I see them as a 'taster' - by the time you've sold it on, it's been a free guitar for a few months and you'll know if you like LP Jnrs, PRS, Strats... Whatever it is.  

Certainly doesn't put me off buying one, though I never have the money because I keep giving money to people for partscasters...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    I've had a couple which were like that - a PRS SE One,
    You didn't sell that to DrBob, which came to me and then to @stonevibe, I wonder...? :)

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 4448
    JookyChap said:
    You didn't sell that to DrBob, which came to me and then to @stonevibe, I wonder...? :)
    That PRS SE One is a brilliant guitar. Although I have modified it a lot.
    How much does it weigh? & Does it play like butter?

You can now read my insane guitar ramblings daily here http://www.gearnews.com

https://www.stonevibeapparel.com/
    Actually I think I own a few 'Forum Guitars'

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 4329
    octatonic said:
    TimmyO said:

Is one of those my old gold top warmoth tele?
    <sniff> yes. I sold it for exactly what I paid you for it. I bonded like hell to that guitar, but went through a mad selling spree to fund a DGT (that I still have). If I could get that guitar back I would (I emailed the address I had for the guy which was a work address and it doesn't exist any more) 

The other one I wanted back was my Wavecaster  
  • JookyChap said:
    Yup, that's the one :)

stonevibe said:
    Oh, absolutely - the neck was just too chunky for me to deal with effectively. The P90 in it sounded absolutely glorious...the only non-humbucker I've ever really liked.
    During the Covid19 period, we're running a "phone a friend" facility.  Just to hear a voice, keep in touch, etc. , using "JitSi".

https://meet.jit.si/theFretBoard  |    pw: theFB  |    0121 468 3154  |  1000 and 2000 daily.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 6963
    TimmyO said:

<SNIP>

I have known girls like this...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2546
    @jookychap haha , my keeper riv came from @jonnyburgo which probably came from the old place :)

Me and Jonny swap for fun :)
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1418
    edited February 2014
    I had a Tokai LS85(?) quilt top that I bought from @surfguy13 and sold on to @TTony back in the MR forum days, not sure if it's still in circulation?
    JookyChap said:
    Yup, that's the one :)

stonevibe said:
    Oh, absolutely - the neck was just too chunky for me to deal with effectively. The P90 in it sounded absolutely glorious...the only non-humbucker I've ever really liked.

Looks like this now.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 19778
    edited February 2014
    ESchap said:
    I had a Tokai LS85(?) quilt top that I bought from @surfguy13 and sold on to @TTony back in the MR forum days, not sure if it's still in circulation?
    @ESchap, I sold it on - via MR - but I can't remember who to.  Lovely guitar, just too heavy for my back in those days ...

[edit]
    Here it is ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Damn, @stonevibe. If I'd known you were going to put a Bigsby on it, I'd have kept it just to save it from you :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Damn, @stonevibe. If I'd known you were going to put a Bigsby on it, I'd have kept it just to save it from you :D
    It was that or a Lo-Pro Edge...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 11460
    The G&L ASAT I had probably counts as a Forum guitar, but it was definitely not crap. The fact that a previous owner is trying to get it back attests to that. 

There are a few fairly generic models that I've seen change hands about 10 times in quick succession (I seem to recall a blacktop tele) that make me a bit sus.
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    blueskunk said:
    @jookychap haha , my keeper riv came from @jonnyburgo which probably came from the old place :)

Me and Jonny swap for fun :)
    I've come to the conclusion that in a lot of cases we're not actually buying and selling,  instead we're loaning each other money and putting guitars up as collateral...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 4391
    Whenever I see an ad that starts "I got this off forumite X in a deal, but its not my thing..." the first thought that pops into my head---rightly or wrongly---is always "oh, so TWO forumites have decided this isn't good enough to keep it...?" 
    Sometimes it's because the guitar doesn't fit with what the owner wants, but you've got to try it before you know that.  I am the current custodian of one of these forum whores: a McCarty.  It's not a particularly "hard rock" guitar.  Previous owners have swapped pickups to try for a harder sound, and not been happy with the result. Whereas I've put the originals back because I expected them to they suit my style better, and in fact they do.  When I bought the guitar I was prepared to move it on because wasn't sure whether I'd get on with the wide fat neck.  It turns out that I do, and the guitar is likely to stay.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 986
    Didn't there used to be an SG double-neck that did the rounds on the old place? I can quite appreciate the phenomenon with that one.

"Wow, I'm Jimmy Page!" quickly becomes "Bloody hell, this is awkward and heavy and takes up loads of room and won't go on a stand and won't hang on the wall..."

Like Liz Taylor said about owning a yaucht, the best two things about it are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2238
    To be honest I love the idea of someone buying their own guitar back 3 times because it just shows that at the time we sold it, we were just Human.

Or Skint.

• Great thread. I sold a guitar on MR and have regretted it ever since. Love for it to be returned...
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2546
    Oh yeah just to be clear i bought the riv off Jon , sold it him back, then bought back :)