Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lesson of the day: How to relic hardware in 4 (easy) steps

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Cheers lads.
    It's for a set of gold Klusons I want to age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
    edited April 2021
    How long does it take with vinegar fumes please, to create a gentle patina upon nickel hardware...?
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Not long. Check them every few mins and rinse off under cold water to see what the actual effect it.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    It’s been 12 hours - no effect :-)
  • You can actually get pretty good results on nickel using cheap vinegar/acetic acid. The way I did it was put the parts in the smaller container (where they stay dry, but are exposed to the fumes), then put that in the bigger container, that way you can get quite a lot of vinegar in. Left overnight makes a pretty big difference, would not expect it to touch chrome, at least not for a long time.
    I think the cheaper crappier vinegar the better for this.
    Did you scuff them up first? Or do the vinegar fumes act on brand new nickel...?
  • Brand new. I did this with pickup covers I got from Alegree on here, also a Faber bridge. As I remember the bridge "turned" quicker than the covers.
    If it's not working for you, is it possible the items have some kind of laquer, or maybe you haven't got enough vinegar giving off the fumes? I think I used a bit more than half a 575ml bottle
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I get good results with hydrochloric acid. I'd use that rather than vinegar.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    monoamine said:
    off of amazon... says "36%" but fumes and behaves like the 16molar strong stuff i had at school! don't inhale and avoid skin contact. also, if you need to dilute, add acid to water, not water to acid!
    36% is 11.65molar #PedantChemist
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Apologies. I put vinegar in a saucepan on a low heat with my metal parts suspended in a sieve above it and a lid over the top. It works on nickel very quickly so needs checking every 10 mins.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18815
    I make my own white vinegar'/household cleaner from diluting 99% Anhydrous Glacial Acetic Acid (Ethanoic Acid).
    Nasty stuff, that like all such products requires respect in handling & appropriate PPE.
    It is very handy though being able to vary the strength to make a wide range of useful products that would have to be bought individually at a much higher cost.